The Half Set Challenge

Count me in. Played my last 9 with driver, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW and putter and had a lot of fun.

Last 18 I played with a 'full' (didn't use any woods) set was an 89 so I'll use that as a marker.

I would be game to try this. There are quite a few rounds where I don't use all the clubs in the bag. This would be a welcome challenge to get more creative. I played in a 3 club challenge a couple years ago and that was a lot of fun. Now just need the weather to cooperate.

My HD coach used to make us do this type of thing. He focused more on irons than a full half set, but it certainly helped force you to learn how to dial it back for a certain yardage. I can’t wait to hear how it goes for those who do it.

Sure, I'm In.

Driver, Putter, 54* wedge, 9i, 7i, 5i

Everything else is just filler anyways.

I am interested in the results but not participating. I am more interested and n working on improving my game with every club right now.

7 club bag loaded in my carry bag for a round this afternoon.

Going with: 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, PW, 54* wedge and putter.

I'll give it a shot!

Driver, 4h, 6i, 8i, PW, 54*, putter.

7 club bag loaded in my carry bag for a round this afternoon.

Going with: 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, PW, 54* wedge and putter.

Leading the charge! Thanks to everyone who is giving this a go ?

I can do this relatively easily as I've done this in the past, several times. D, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54*, putter

Exactly what I am going to put in play, well done sir.

I'd be open to using this strategy, maybe not on full 18 hole rounds, but on 9 hole, more practice rounds or rounds I'm out with my kids I would for sure mess around with the idea!

I'd be open to using this strategy, maybe not on full 18 hole rounds, but on 9 hole, more practice rounds or rounds I'm out with my kids I would for sure mess around with the idea!

9 hole rounds are perfectly acceptable! I plan to do the same actually.

I think I could do it. I think this would be my setup as I can usually get around with a 3W off the tee and this would be my club when needed on Par 5's or longer Par 4's. Gapping the 5/7/9 would give me most distances I usually see while the short game would need to be a little more precise. Would look great in a small sunday bag.

3W
5 Iron
7 Iron
9 Iron
PW
54 Wedge
Putter

I can do this relatively easily as I've done this in the past, several times. D, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54*, putter
Thats my set up except 3W for Driver.

I'm down, i've played a few 7 club rounds the past few years. The set i went with has D, 4hy, 6i, 8i, Pw, Sw, Putter.

Great idea, I am so down ?

I don't think I'll commit to 5 rounds, but I would try playing a few rounds with a smaller set.

I think my course would setup well for this experiment as you don't need a full bag to play it.

Remind me about this challenge in about 4 months and I'll be up for it @GraniteRoost :rolleyes:

The front 9 was a pretty wild ride. Even par with an eagle (chip in from about 10 yards short of the green), 2 birdies, 1 par and 4 bogeys.

Last edited:
Back 9 was much more normal. 39 with 6 pars and 3 bogeys.

Still, 75 for 18 is a couple of shots lower than my average score this time of year. Will certainly keep the 7 club bag in tact (actually only took 2 clubs, 4 hybrid and putter, from my normal full bag) for at least 4 more rounds over the next few weeks. The thing I missed the most was the 58 degree wedge. I lean on it a lot from 95 yards in all the way to greenside chips. I intentionally left it out of the mix for that reason. Want to get more comfortable with being more creative with my 54 degree.

9 hole rounds are perfectly acceptable! I plan to do the same actually.

We should make an informal competition out of it! We should set a date to start, post handicaps, track our scores (differentials) over a set amount of time or rounds, then declare a winner. I guess we could set it for March to August for a total of 5 rounds each. I'm sure some would get done sooner, but some might not play as often and use all the time.

Back 9 was much more normal. 39 with 6 pars and 3 bogeys.

Still, 75 for 18 is a couple of shots lower than my average score this time of year. Will certainly keep the 7 club bag in tact (actually only took 2 clubs, 4 hybrid and putter, from my normal full bag) for at least 4 more rounds over the next few weeks. The thing I missed the most was the 58 degree wedge. I lean on it a lot from 95 yards in all the way to greenside chips. I intentionally left it out of the mix for that reason. Want to get more comfortable with being more creative with my 54 degree.

Nice score! Good thoughts on turning your 54* into something dangerous ?

3W, 7W, 6, 7, 9, AW, 60LW, and putt w/ 6 iron

Back