The Happiest Cities in America according to Men's Health.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

It strikes me as a bit strange that there are not many warm weather cities on this list. Also the only large (top 30 in metro population) cities in the top 10 list are Minneapolis and Denver.

Agree or disagree with the list?

1. Lincoln, NE
2. Madison, WI
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Portland ME
5. Billings MT
6. Sioux Falls, SD
7. Burlington, VT
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. Anchorage, AK
10. Denver, CO

And at the bottom of their rankings I'll vouch for Stockton CA as being a pretty miserable place. I was there about 8 times a year for work for 20 years and it's full of crime. I once came close to getting carjacked but sped off while the three thugs got out of their car after backing into my front bumper at a stoplight. Luckily the right lane and curb were open for my escape, lol.

90. Milwaukee, WI
91. Louisville, KY
92. Toledo, OH
93. Stockton, CA
94. Fort Worth, TX
95. Fresno, CA
96. Philadelphia, PA
97. Riverside, CA
98. Bakersfield, CA
99. Baton Rouge, LA
100. Detroit, MI

Last edited:

It strikes me as a bit strange that there are not many warm weather cities on this list. Also the only large (top 30 in metro population) cities in the top 10 list are Minneapolis and Denver.

1. Lincoln, NE
2. Madison, WI
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Portland ME
5. Billings MT
6. Sioux Falls, SD
7. Burlington, VT
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. Anchorage, AK
10. Denver, CO

That survey muddy have been taken in the summer because I live just outside of Sioux Falls, SD and I'm not very happy in the winter!

I haven't been to a ton of those cities but my the ones I have been to are pretty clean, seem to have activities for people and seem like good places for families to live. The winter thing is the only bad part.

Writers gotta find something to write about. What does this mean? If I move to Lincoln NE I’m going to be happier than I am now? Lists like this are a waste of time.

That survey muddy have been taken in the summer because I live just outside of Sioux Falls, SD and I'm not very happy in the winter!

I haven't been to a ton of those cities but my the ones I have been to are pretty clean, seem to have activities for people and seem like good places for families to live. The winter thing is the only bad part.

I feel your pain and we are above normal right now but the winters are seemingly getting longer as I get older. We could use some global warming. :)

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 11.18.38 AM.png

Reactions: KEV
I wouldn't have guessed that Jackson, MS would be in the top 100, let alone the top 40.

Nice to see Raleigh at #3 even though we don't need even more people moving here.

Great jobs here and 2-3 hours from the beach or 2-3 hours from the mountains doesn't hurt either.

You ARE generally pretty happy though.

I guess this explains alot about @jdtox 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: KEV

1. Lincoln, NE
I used to work in Lincoln, and unless you were a University of Nebraska student, and drunk, it was a pretty miserable city.
Unless it was game day, in which case you could possibly enjoy yourself.
If you were a Huskers fan.
And they were winning
And you were drunk.

I feel your pain and we are above normal right now but the winters are seemingly getting longer as I get older. We could use some global warming. :)

View attachment 8987086

I hear you about winter. It was 19 degrees here this morning with a wind chill of around 5. As I get older, I'm finding myself less tolerant of the cold. Only have a handful of years left before I can do something about the winter. And no, I won't be relocating, at least for the winter, to a cold climate or one of the top 10 cities on that list!

mens health has a lot of top 10 lists for cities in the last year..

Screenshot (35).png

I can vouch for #1
I love me some Lincoln and have lived there for some time, twice in my life.

I've been too these and enjoyed my time at each:

2. Madison, WI
3. Raleigh, NC
6. Sioux Falls, SD
10. Denver, CO (lived in Aurora in the late 80's)

As for the bottom of the list, I grew up here and was happy. Still have lots of family there but I'll never move back to CA!

98. Bakersfield, CA

Lots of CA on the bottom of that list.

If I ever have to go to Raleigh it’s because work is sending me there for training. They always put us up in a good hotel downtown and pay for meals which is great because downtown has lots of good restaurants. So in general, I’m real happy when I’m in Raleigh. :giggle:

Yeah maybe in the summer, but as a guy who's south of Burlington by an hour and half I can't imagine Burlington being that happy year-round.

As someone who lives in Billings, MT, I find its inclusion in the top 5 really strange. I've lived here a good portion of my life and I like it well enough, but I don't know that it really excels in any of the evaluation categories the article identifies.

Yeah maybe in the summer, but as a guy who's south of Burlington by an hour and half I can't imagine Burlington being that happy year-round.
Burlington! 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe they are happy because of what they are doing to stay warm. :devilish:

That and it's shocking how many people exercise outdoors in winter Minneapolis. I dop my daughter off for her Nordic ski practice(high school team) 5 days a week and the city park where they practice is packed with thousands of skiers and walkers every day. The park is 760 acres and has over 20 miles of groomed ski trails.

And at the bottom of their rankings
91. Louisville, KY
Yeah not too much to be happy about here the last 9 months between Covid and Riots that pretty much tore up the entire downtown part of the city.

Having lived in CT for 30 years....I would have thought Bridgeport wouldn't make the top 100 of CT......So my view to this list.....Nope

I am petitioning for Fresno to officially be called FRESYES. I feel better already.

1. Lincoln, NE
2. Madison, WI
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Portland ME
5. Billings MT
6. Sioux Falls, SD
7. Burlington, VT
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. Anchorage, AK
10. Denver, CO

And at the bottom of their rankings I'll vouch for Stockton CA as being a pretty miserable place. I was there about 8 times a year for work for 20 years and it's full of crime. I once came close to getting carjacked but sped off while the three thugs got out of their car after backing into my front bumper at a stoplight. Luckily the right lane and curb were open for my escape, lol.

90. Milwaukee, WI
91. Louisville, KY
92. Toledo, OH
93. Stockton, CA
94. Fort Worth, TX
95. Fresno, CA
96. Philadelphia, PA
97. Riverside, CA
98. Bakersfield, CA
99. Baton Rouge, LA
100. Detroit, MI

I would want to know the criteria for "happy" bc Anchorage does not strike me as a place to be happy year round.

Back