I don’t own a pair of skinny jeans like a hipster... But I play XXIO irons...
I own a pair. I just can’t fit into them.

I am generally a cheapskate when it comes to clubs, but I still want new, custom clubs. So when PXG offered their Gen1 drivers for $125 through their Heroes program it was a no brainer. At the time The Gen2s were their newest. Love the club, and I would buy the 0211 too but I am happy with the 0811x and it’s not very old.

The major OEMs still want 300-400 for their older models. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some of their stuff at hero pricing before Covid and the business model changed. I like that they offered that and wanted to support the idea. Funny thing, is watching all the big brands start raising their prices up as well once PXG starting showing what people would pay. Then Hero pricing.... now both callaway and TM offer 15% for Vets if buying through them to cut out the middle man brick and motor store. Hmm wonder who that sounds like. Makes you wonder, who is follow who now a days.

I bought a set of the PXG Gen 3 0311P (4-5) and 0311T (6-W) when they went on sale. Figured I’d go into a fitter and if they didn’t win out then I’d sell them and move on.
For starters, they look absolutely incredible. People can say whatever they want but the product is top notch in the looks and feels premium department.
As for the fitting, I scheduled a fitting at Club Champion last Friday. Tried everything you could imagine pretty much. All the new Callaway stuff, Taylormade, Titleist, Srixon, Cobra, even Honma. And in the end, the PXG Gen 3 won out. Surprisingly, 2nd closest was Honma which was no joke 7-10 yards longer carry but the spin was down in the 4000-4500 range with a 6 iron which was too low. The PXG Gen 3 with the Oban CT 115X shafts felt unbelievable. Hands down have never hit a combo that has felt that smooth in my life. Cannot wait for the shafts to arrive so the clubs can be built.

Every time PXG pops up in a thread, the hate is strong.

So, I ask this... Why?

Why the hate? Because it's expensive? Because some see it as gaudy? Why the hate toward PXG and not toward XXIO? Miura? KZG? Other exotic brands?

Misinformation and/or how they started as an ultra-premium, high priced club?

They are no longer an expensive brand in my opinion.

PXG 0211 line is cheaper in cost than most other OEM’s now. How they change prices frequently is a bit of a mystery as it can turn some people off as they slash prices.

Even the Gen2 line is “cheap” relative to the other OEM’s.

To be fair it’s cheaper than most current because it came out over 2 years ago.

Misinformation and/or how they started as an ultra-premium, high priced club?

They are no longer an expensive brand in my opinion.

PXG 0211 line is cheaper in cost than most other OEM’s now. How they change prices frequently is a bit of a mystery as it can turn some people off as they slash prices.

They are an older model at $109 each for the irons. Their new model(0311 Gen3) is $200 per club. I just ordered ZX7’s which were just released and paid $121 per club which for 8 irons works out to $632 less than the PXG 0311 Gen 3. I can buy the new Mizuno ST-Z driver and 3 wood for that price difference. Even if the PXG’s were the same price I would pick the Srixons as I prefer the performance - especially the turf interaction of their v-sole.

They are an older model at $109 each for the irons. Their new model(0311 Gen3) is $200 per club. I just ordered ZX7’s which were just released and paid $121 per club which for 8 irons works out to $632 less than the PXG 0311 Gen 3. I can buy the new Mizuno ST-Z driver and 3 wood for that price difference. Even if the PXG’s were the same price I would pick the Srixons as I prefer the performance - especially the turf interaction of their v-sole.

That’s why there are choices.

I play the original 0211 and the newest 0211 model is $109/club or $104/club if you call in your order.

I played Ping irons for years and last season found a set of used PXG 0211’s that I tried out.

At address they look just like Ping i200 in the shorter irons and G400 in the long irons, just with less offset.

Best set of irons I played in a long time as they were every bit as good as the i200 but felt better.

Gen4 comes out March 9 for pre-order so Gen3 will drop in price if their pricing scheme follows suit.

Heard a lot of good things about the Srixons and sounds like you found a good fit for your swing. Just hoping the snow melts soon so I can get out and play.

I had a demo day once when I was toying with a low loft hybrid and to be fair they worked. Do they work well enough to justify the premium price tag vs the rest, not 100% convinced.
Apparel however is plainly insane, is it really that much better that you can say a jacket is $325 (on sale) to play golf in?

i 100% agree that if i had dropped serious coin on pxg because of performance but also because of the luxury perception, i wouldn't be very happy seeing the brand tear apart that luxury image with bargain basement pricing.

I always love reading through these conversations because hearts are on the sleeves depending on what side you're on.

I had no intention to get PXG's for clubs last fall when I was searching. My girls' golf instructor swings them and he offered to set me up with a free fitting. I had never swung PXG's so I was like "yep - I'm interested." Again - no intentions except to get my numbers and find a different OEM. When I was done with the fitting, I felt there was something different about them and dropped some $ on the Gen 2 0311's that were the same prices as other OEM's I was looking at.

Here's the kicker - 4 mo later they dropped the prices of the Gen3's. I called PXG and explained my frustration with the price drop. They decided to send me the same setup that I had ordered in the Gen2's in the Gen3's at no additional cost. I just had to mail the other set back once I received the new set. Whatever their reason - I was very impressed. Good customer service is good customer service.

I always love reading through these conversations because hearts are on the sleeves depending on what side you're on.

I had no intention to get PXG's for clubs last fall when I was searching. My girls' golf instructor swings them and he offered to set me up with a free fitting. I had never swung PXG's so I was like "yep - I'm interested." Again - no intentions except to get my numbers and find a different OEM. When I was done with the fitting, I felt there was something different about them and dropped some $ on the Gen 2 0311's that were the same prices as other OEM's I was looking at.

Here's the kicker - 4 mo later they dropped the prices of the Gen3's. I called PXG and explained my frustration with the price drop. They decided to send me the same setup that I had ordered in the Gen2's in the Gen3's at no additional cost. I just had to mail the other set back once I received the new set. Whatever their reason - I was very impressed. Good customer service is good customer service.

Wow that was generous on their part.
Another thing I like about PXG is they offer a 30 day playability guarantee. If you don’t like them you can send turn back for a 15% restocking fee. For me that was worth the $150 fee to try them out. Regret actually sending mine back. They performed great but at the time had some buyers remorse as we had some expensive home Reno’s going on back then.

Wow that was generous on their part.
Another thing I like about PXG is they offer a 30 day playability guarantee. If you don’t like them you can send turn back for a 15% restocking fee. For me that was worth the $150 fee to try them out. Regret actually sending mine back. They performed great but at the time had some buyers remorse as we had some expensive home Reno’s going on back then.
Isn't that similar to what most brands have at golf stores such as World Wide and PGA? Except you get more time and 100% in store credit?
I think its smart on PXG's part since they are moving to a more DTC model, they pretty much have to.

Isn't that similar to what most brands have at golf stores such as World Wide and PGA? Except you get more time and 100% in store credit?

perhaps. I don’t really buy gear at big box stores. Other than maybe a random club here or there.

But you touched on something. Store credit. I’d rather take a little hit and have my cash back vs a bunch of store credit I may or may not use up.

another reason I like Tour Edge. Money back guarantee in 30 days no questions asked.

perhaps. I don’t really buy gear at big box stores. Other than maybe a random club here or there.

But you touched on something. Store credit. I’d rather take a little hit and have my cash back vs a bunch of store credit I may or may not use up.

another reason I like Tour Edge. Money back guarantee in 30 days no questions asked.

I dont disagree although I don't really consider the World Wide stores big box. I think the credit is safe for most because if someone is buying a set of irons, returning them, they are probably still searching for irons. If its just a trial to test new gear, I would believe demo days would be the safest bet.

This is interesting to me. Main reason that I buy from the closest golf mart is because
I know I have store credit, same price as online, and I know eventually I’m going to spend that money on golf. Granted I haven’t done that with a full set or anything more than $125-150. But even then if I have buyers remorse on a set of irons or a driver I still will want to buy a set of irons or a driver still.

PXG - I like to remain in the present and look at what they are now.

How does one try these if they are DTC?

PXG still has fitters and fitting centers.
They just cut out retailers that had their demo bags to try and then buy from.

How does one try these if they are DTC?
I got to try their wedges during a Club Champion fitting. Not sure if they had their full lineup.

I dont disagree although I don't really consider the World Wide stores big box. I think the credit is safe for most because if someone is buying a set of irons, returning them, they are probably still searching for irons. If its just a trial to test new gear, I would believe demo days would be the safest bet.

I assumed world wide was big box. We don’t have them around here. We’re limited to GG/Dicks and a smaller chain called Foxy Golf

agree on demo days. But around here those have dried up. Foxy golf had all the OEM’s come in annually and did one in conjunction with a local course. When the course closed so did the demo day.
😞

I assumed world wide was big box. We don’t have them around here. We’re limited to GG/Dicks and a smaller chain called Foxy Golf

agree on demo days. But around here those have dried up. Foxy golf had all the OEM’s come in annually and did one in conjunction with a local course. When the course closed so did the demo day.
😞

Correct.
World Wide is Roger Dunn, Edwin Watts, Vans, etc.
Very much specialty retailers that have one of the best selections in the country in terms of brands.

PXG still has fitters and fitting centers.
They just cut out retailers that had their demo bags to try and then buy from.
I got fit at the store - which was a great experience. As for the set swap - I started with my fitter and he in turn helped me connect to corporate.

I'm not against store credit either if I know I'll be getting something eventually.

I wonder if Ping is going to do this with all the people that are waiting months for i210 that according to rumors will be replaced in a few months.

I wonder if Ping is going to do this with all the people that are waiting months for i210 that according to rumors will be replaced in a few months.
LOL. Ping won’t even let dealers sell their clubs for a penny less than MAP, I think we can pretty safely guess they won’t be giving any clubs away to anybody.

Back