The Hideaway Golf Courses Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a Grandaddy review thread, but for reviews and thoughts on The Hideaway as a club and golf course(s). I know many THPers have been fortunate enough to play here as part of a THP Event, so give us your thoughts on this special place.

Impact2-L.jpg

Impact2-2-L.jpg

Purely heaven! From Conditions, to service level, to amenities this is heaven on earth!

Difficult green complexes with many subtle breaks.
The trouble on the course was beyond my reach, with literally all the trouble to be reached with 235-280 yard tee shots. From there once I placed my approach shots, I was in decent shape.

Tight fairways and lush rough, this course is manageable from the rough if you power through the ball relatively well.

The mountains can be distracting and oddly enough add difficulty to the course even though they are not located ON the course.

I'd give anything to make a return trip!

I mean look at the golf cart cushions
e6567f972b9bff56f09f1abd3f0edc16.jpg

Enough said.... Actually I have more for later, but you get the point.

0bd54c0d030c747492366fbd516d30bb.jpg

a9806e3d18cc0dabb91f5e6cd24716ef.jpg

83505766b7cf43247b201038b2d01e6a.jpg

9ceb0550ac938b4b7ae288c6ab32a289.jpg

e1b9bce55000327eaa5a6feb59c79191.jpg

dced1d2441a2345aa4ff516302096743.jpg

And who wouldn't want this at the turn?

7aaac602a352b4f70a63efe54db95f53.jpg

I've been waiting for this thread to appear! JB's photos capture the essence of this place better than I can ever put into words.

Pristine, gorgeous, secluded. If heaven on earth exists for a golfer this is it.

It's unknown if I'll ever see these grounds in person again.....but I would do almost anything for that opportunity (gotta stay out of prison...haha).

I've never seen rough that can be both so pretty and yet so painful at the same time. Greens roll as true as anything I've ever putted on.

Many courses can be amazing....but it's the staff and the members of Hideaway that truly make it feel like such a special place.

A true golfing gem if there ever was one.

I cant wait to see this thread take off! This course looks so perfect!

I'm mid baby making up for me being gone a week, but I can't help but drop this in here:

7edf15c62db862a8bd7d412eed63ff08.jpg

Freaking picturesque, so so so so picturesque, all of it. Love the idea of this thread and will be bringing a lot in here soon.

• Admin
I have been fortunate enough to play some of the finest courses in the country from a ranking or historic sense. They all have a special place, and each have been enjoyed, but I look forward to playing The Hideaway more than all of them. Why? Because its perfection for what I look for in a golf course. Conditions are amazing. Caddies are personable and offer assistance that is fantastic. The food is great. The service and treatment by the staff is like a fine dining restaurant. And the members are exactly who I would want to play with if I was a member at the course.

Need something? They grab it and bring it to you. That is if it's not at a comfort station, which is filled generously with every snack you could imagine.

It has mountains, palm trees, water, sand and blue skies. Its lush, green and wreaks of golf nirvana. If you told me I had to pick one facility to play the rest of my life, and could guarantee me that Matt would still be there, I would choose The Hideaway and it wouldn't be close.

How do you describe the Hideaway?

I told so many of my teammates, that pictures don't even do the course justice, and I still firmly believe it. Being fortunate to have stepped foot on those two prestigious golf courses, not once, but twice, I can still say it is true. I remember taking tons of pictures my first time, and then looking through them trying to remember the beauty, but not until I stepped onto the hollowed grounds again did I realize just how amazing the place is.

The Dye Course- Certainly the longer, and more difficult in my opinion, of the two courses. It plays like a Pete Dye course. I had quite a few long irons into Par 4s, and some of the Par 3s were tricky. It isn't as picturesque as the Clive, but it is beautiful in its own right.

The Clive- Easily my favorite of the two. It plays a few hundred yards shorter, and doesn't require driver on all of the Par 4s, which is a nice change of pace. As the Hideaway member Al said, the Clive only has 18 signature holes, and it couldn't be more true. Every single hole could be a screensaver, or a backdrop on a post card. The beauty adds to its difficulty, in my opinion. If you don't focus you will find your eyes drifting from your target to the mountains, or the waterfalls, or the rose bushes, etc. I could play the Clive every single day, especially the par 3s, and never get bored.

The comfort stations- Man these things are amazing. I didn't partake in much of the goodies as I am trying to lose weight, but they have everything you could ever imagine. Chicken Salad, nuts, ice cream, candy bars, fruit, gatorade, water. They are a sight to be seen.

The breakfast sliders- I have to include them in this. They are seriously that good. Honestly I could eat 6-7 of them in one sitting without issue, and I cannot believe Matt Wood doesn't weigh 400 pounds.

The staff- Every single staff member, from Matt Wood, to the caddies, to the guys cleaning clubs on the range, are the nicest, most cordial people I have ever met. They all made us feel like members for the two days, and that is something that sticks with a person. I never once felt out of place, or not good enough, and the staff was to thank for that, along with the members.

The members- Al, Danny, etc. were great. Each and every one I have met has told me I am welcome anytime, and I honestly don't doubt it. They love showing their beautiful courses off, and they all have incredible stories both professionally and on the golf course. Al has the loudest cart speakers I have ever heard, and I am pretty sure his cart is turbo charged.

This is probably a lot of rambling, but I decided to type out what came to mind. If you made it this far congrats!

Just gonna quote this because I couldn't have said it much better myself.

How do you describe the Hideaway?

I told so many of my teammates, that pictures don't even do the course justice, and I still firmly believe it. Being fortunate to have stepped foot on those two prestigious golf courses, not once, but twice, I can still say it is true. I remember taking tons of pictures my first time, and then looking through them trying to remember the beauty, but not until I stepped onto the hollowed grounds again did I realize just how amazing the place is.

The Dye Course- Certainly the longer, and more difficult in my opinion, of the two courses. It plays like a Pete Dye course. I had quite a few long irons into Par 4s, and some of the Par 3s were tricky. It isn't as picturesque as the Clive, but it is beautiful in its own right.

The Clive- Easily my favorite of the two. It plays a few hundred yards shorter, and doesn't require driver on all of the Par 4s, which is a nice change of pace. As the Hideaway member Al said, the Clive only has 18 signature holes, and it couldn't be more true. Every single hole could be a screensaver, or a backdrop on a post card. The beauty adds to its difficulty, in my opinion. If you don't focus you will find your eyes drifting from your target to the mountains, or the waterfalls, or the rose bushes, etc. I could play the Clive every single day, especially the par 3s, and never get bored.

The comfort stations- Man these things are amazing. I didn't partake in much of the goodies as I am trying to lose weight, but they have everything you could ever imagine. Chicken Salad, nuts, ice cream, candy bars, fruit, gatorade, water. They are a sight to be seen.

The breakfast sliders- I have to include them in this. They are seriously that good. Honestly I could eat 6-7 of them in one sitting without issue, and I cannot believe Matt Wood doesn't weigh 400 pounds.

The staff- Every single staff member, from Matt Wood, to the caddies, to the guys cleaning clubs on the range, are the nicest, most cordial people I have ever met. They all made us feel like members for the two days, and that is something that sticks with a person. I never once felt out of place, or not good enough, and the staff was to thank for that, along with the members.

The members- Al, Danny, etc. were great. Each and every one I have met has told me I am welcome anytime, and I honestly don't doubt it. They love showing their beautiful courses off, and they all have incredible stories both professionally and on the golf course. Al has the loudest cart speakers I have ever heard, and I am pretty sure his cart is turbo charged.

This is probably a lot of rambling, but I decided to type out what came to mind. If you made it this far congrats!

For such an exclusive golf course, I am always so amazed at how warm and welcoming the staff and members are to us outsiders. When you think about a private course that you aspire to join, this is it.

The Hideaway Golf Courses Review Thread

Absolute perfection. 36 holes of breathtaking, yet challenging golf.

Both courses offer their own unique challenges, with fast undulating greens that will test the finest of putting strokes.

While the courses are what make up the name, the staff are what this crown jewel in the desert shine. Matt Wood and his staff epitomize the definition of customer service. They leave no blade of grass bent out of shape, and offer their members and guests the best conditions and amenities available to them.

Edit: forgot a photo or two

c622b6afbca9c4d4bb363ebd86b90c56.jpg

2fafe9cf472db37968026fb1f638f3fa.jpg

b50b2853ef7dfbdb6c213499aa846404.jpg

I like this thread. There's so much about the course that may get left out in a normal event or recap thread. I'll name a few

-Don't replace your divot. Fill it with sand/sees and pick up your divot and put it in a trash can that's on the cart. Don't worry, someone will be by soon to empty your trash for you. This helps keep the fairways immaculate
- you thirsty? Don't worry. Someone will be by soon to take your drink order and then drive it out to you in a couple minutes
- the range is awesome. What isn't being used is protected by a tarp, here is a chipping green, a bunker area with another green and a putting green. I could seriously spend hours there.
- there's almost this forgotten vibe to the place. It's tucked back off the main road, through two gates and a long driveway, almost out of site to the normal every day person living in that area. And I think that's the way they want it. There's a very cool sense of calm and peace there
- the members will treat you like you are one of them. No one ever is flashing money around or being arrogant. They're truly awesome people who are there for the fun of it. They're just fortunate enough to be a member there.
- Although right next to each other, the courses are pretty different IMO. The Pete Dye course has water on almost every hole, some of the tee boxes are designed to mess with your head (especially 18) and the greens are faster. Clive, to me, is the better looking and less punishing course of the two. Both have the same conditions as far as rough goes, but the greens are a little more manageable than the Dye course. Plus I think #7 and #11 are two of the best looking holes I've ever seen, in person or on tv.
- I hope you love candy. It's everywhere
- the caddies know their stuff and are some of the coolest people you'll ever meet

I'll be back with more thoughts

Honestly the most beautiful course I have ever stepped foot on. Each and every hole provides a scenic view of the mountains and the fairways are nicer than some greens we play on here. Palm trees, water, flowers, waterfalls just absolute perfection everywhere. It's the course you want to play at forever.

Each course is different in its own right. The Clive being the more picturesque of the two and the dye being the more challenging. I personally found the greens to roll true but with subtle breaks and grain making them tough to read occasionally especially on the dye.

Comfort stations are the coolest thing I have ever seen on a course. The selection available is amazing.

Matt wood was awesome and the forecaddies and rest of the staff were very pleasant and attentive to your every need.

If ever given the chance I would go back in a heartbeat. It truly is a hidden gem in the middle of the desert.

If this doesn't make you want to do whatever it takes to be apart of #TheGrandaddy then I don't know what will. This course looks immaculate and I don't think that the pictures do it justice. I hope one day that I am fortunate enough to experience it.

And the caddie Davee is freaking awesome. I had a blast with him in my round. Too bad it was only 9 holes

So true about the Clive. 18 signature holes

The pictures are awesome, reading everything everyone says makes it even more amazing, there are a few private clubs around here that are moving more towards "The Hideaway Way" but not as many as there should be.

These pictures. These recaps this is truly what dreams are made of Wow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is a perfect example of Pete Dye and his mind games. This is the 18th tee box. But those tee markers aren't from the same set of tees. They're actually the right side tee marker for two different sets. The actual tee box has you aimed at the water with a bush in your way

Those pics are awesome its like another shade of green you dont see anywhere

Is there a single hole at The Hideaway that doesn't look like a picture of perfection for golfers?

With 3 Grandaddy's in the books, the reviews should be pretty epic from all of the participants.

Back