The Highest Number on a Hole?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the biggest number you put up on a hole this year?
How did it happen?

I took a 10 on the 18th hole at my course a few months a go. I had the shanks the entire back 9 and put 3 shots in the water on the last hole. It was a 9 that I would like to forget.

If I remember correctly.. Out of bound off the tee. Then again on the next ball. Then finally in play. Then over the green into a pond. Then on the green and 3 putt.

This year?

11 - Par 3 #12 home course

Left OB
Left OB
Left OB
Sand
Sand
Rough
2 putt

unless you are playing a course with nobody on it - or you happen to own the course yourself - the best rule for all of us is to pick up after you've exceeded 3 shots over the par for any hole.

11 on the 3rd hole at my course thanks to a few shanks straight OB. Had a blister tear on my hand and my grip was all messed up. Still somehow shot an 85 or something, which I actually consider one of my bigger achievements on the year.

I think I kept it under 10 this year. I had a couple 9’s but this was the worst on a par 4.
  1. Hooked 3W off the tee
  2. GW from the sand out of bounds
  3. Drop
  4. GW from bunker to bunker
  5. SW from bunker (missed green)
  6. Duffed chip
  7. Putt from fringe
  8. First putt
  9. Merciful second putt to finish the hole
9A3A6C2D-CF17-439C-B623-A0780E16B3F6.jpeg

That would be a 11 JB. Par 5 with water in front of green.
1. Tee shot right blocked by trees
2. Punch out to fairway
3. Lay up short of water
4. Splash
6. Splash
8. on green
9-11. 3 putt for an 11.

Half Moon Bay Ocean Course #10 par 5
1-Tee shot left OB
3 - Tee shot left OB
5 - Tee shot right
6 - 5 iron into the fairway
7 - PW over the back of the back of the green
8 - 58* chunk
9- 58* onto green
10/11 - 2 putt

9 on a par 5. 2nd shot in the water trying to go for the green in 2. Drop, pull next shot left of green but dry and behind a tree. Next shot try to punch out from under and hit the lowest branch and drops into deep rough. Chunk it out of the rough into a bunker. great bunker shot. 2 putt.

Par 5. Four decent shots to within 15-20 feet of the green. Four wedge shots to reach the green. Three putt.

Par 4. Subtract one stroke on the approach to the green for a 10.

The demons were real. :banghead:

Good news is that I think that I've mostly exorcised them from my wedge game.

I think a 7 which was a triple bogey on a par 4. Hit the center of the green but came in too hot and went over the back of a green you simply cannot do that on. Pure misery occurred after.

I think it was a 9 on a par 5; How did it happen? I missed a 3 footer for 8.

off the top of my head I am sure I put up a 10 on a par 5 a couple of times. Just could never get back into position and it cost me.

I took a 10 about a month and a half ago.

It was brutal. Long up hill par 5 to finish the front 9. (1) Driver Hook off the tee into some heather. Found it because the heather had been cut down some for the the fall. (2) GW out of the heather in a sh***y lie that didn’t get out as well as I would have liked and found a fairway bunkers. (3) Fat out of the bunker maybe 50 yards (still about 250 out in light rough). (4) I got aggressive and tried a 3W to get up close to the green because we had money on the line and still had a shot for the hole but it took another hook into the heather. (5) Found this one as well. Better lie about 120 out and took my PW but caught it thin and low into a tree ahead. (6) still about 80 out off the tree but in the actual fairway and go with the GW again...and chunk it because I’ve lost it by this point. (7) The gap again about 40, but I don’t even care, over the green. (8) flip one barely on from behind and still have about 40 feet. At this point I was about to pick up because we were playing a money game per hole and my parter and I had already lost it thanks to this blowup. (9) I decide to putt just to get in the practice and get it to about 5 feet. (10) drain the 5 footer and go buy a bunch of beers to start drinking on the back.

I still somehow shot a 90 that day with the 10 and came out on top of our money game.

I’ve had a 10 4 times on 3 different Par 5’s. 3 of the 4 were in competition....

most recently it went

1.right into the hazard
2. Lateral drop into essentially short fescue
3. Chunk 3 feet
4. Into the fairway
5 into the water right of the green
6. Lateral drop
7. Approach over the green
8. Chip onto the Green
9. Missed 10 footer.
10 in the hole

Home Course - Southwyck Golf Course

Hole 2 Par 5

1 - Tee shot in water
2 - Penalty
3 - Tee shot in fairway
4 - Fairway shot into thick rough and lost
5 - Drop
6 - Approach shot off back into rough and lost
7 - Drop
8 - Chip onto green
9 - Putt 1
10 - Putt 2 lipped out
11 - Putt 3

Got back to the cart, shotgunned a beer and went to the third hole trying to forget

I’m positive I’ve made plenty of 10s this year but none stick out. The worst I remember was a 9 on a par 3. 175 yards over water. Wind carried my ball OB left. Topped my 3rd into water. 5th missed green well left, barely carrying the water.

I had a 12 a couple years ago. Laying 50 yards short of the par 5 green in 2, I proceeded to chunk 4 pitches into the creek between me and the green...

Home Course - Southwyck Golf Course

Hole 2 Par 5

1 - Tee shot in water
2 - Penalty
3 - Tee shot in fairway
4 - Fairway shot into thick rough and lost
5 - Drop
6 - Approach shot off back into rough and lost
7 - Drop
8 - Chip onto green
9 - Putt 1
10 - Putt 2 lipped out
11 - Putt 3

Got back to the cart, shotgunned a beer and went to the third hole trying to forget
Yeah, I bet that beer tasted incredible.

Not sure there was this really dumb hole while playing with some thpers. Basically forced layup with like a 7 iron followed by a 6 iron way uphill between trees that were about as wide as a bowling lane to not hit them and mounding that kicked everything ob. I hit ine into water I think. Clipped the tree on the approach and the ball came bouncing back down before going OB. I then dropped one and turned 90 degrees sideways and hit the ball 200 yards ob and said see you at the next tee box, went to cart and had a beer while they holed out.

In casual rounds I tend not o waste time if I hit my esc max and still not close to the hole and just put an "X" for the hole.

In league play.....mercifully net double bogey. So that's 9 for you scoring at home. I know I would have taken more on a partiular hole more than once, but I have not played a stroke play event in a while. So I'm sticking with 9 as my max score.

Biggest number this year was a 9 (+4) Just one OOB on that one plus a sideways chip out. But by far the worst hole this year was an 8 (+5) on an easy short par 3. Two shots OOB that time; one off the tee a second on a bladed bunker shot. Then, after barely getting out of the trap after stroke and distance drop, I chipped on and one putted to save my 8. Yay me! What a $hit $how but was a two day a stroke play event so I couldn't just pick up.

Hole 18 (par 5) of our Member-Member to lose our flight by 2 strokes 😭

1. Drive (OB)
  2. Penalty
  3. Drive to rough
  4. Layup in front of water
  5. Approach to bunker behind green
  6. bunker shot thin into water
  7. drop
  8. chunk pitch into front bunker
  9. bunker shot onto green
  10. putt

Back