The Home Building Thread - Advice & Tips from THP members!

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
I've scoured THP for about ten whole minutes trying to find a thread dedicated to home building. I can' find one. I see the "Home Renovation Thread" but not new home build.....

So, here's the deal.

We are getting ready to start building our first (and hopefully only) custom home. The lot has been acquired and is just over an acre in a nicely spaced development with all +1 acre lots or more. The lot sets up well for a walkout basement as the back of the house will sit in a wooded lot just on the edge of a wooded ravine with a creek. Noone can ever build behind us!

As a first time home builder, im looking for a place to discuss anything of note with other THPers who have went through this process or might be about to.

-Absolute must have additions that we probably arent thinking about?
-Places to NOT overspend within the house
-Anything else lol.....

We can all respectively discuss our own plans and what not, but I was wanting this to be less specific about floor plans, etc as every single plan is different.

So.....lets get it going.

One thing I would call out is the custom items you are looking at including in your build, such as shiplap, ceiling beams & other areas. We had the builder quote the above out & the cost was astronomical. I ended up adding these features after the build by myself & I’m not a expert wood worker.

Ultimately it comes down with what features are a must have etc!

Happy to dive in deeper as well!

Congrats man!!! Exciting times!

find a builder that is comfortable building to your expected level of finish. This can vary much more than i expected. We had a "custom" builder who constantly tried to talk us out of adding something or doing something nicer because "his house doesn't even have that". :rolleyes:

you can never have enough storage space, closet and attic/basement.

plan far ahead if you plan to run wires/home audio/networking stuff (you should)

we hired an interior designer somewhere middle of the build and it was totally worth it. Tried to do it ourselves for cost savings initially.

Last edited:
One thing I would call out is the custom items you are looking at including in your build, such as shiplap, ceiling beams & other areas. We had the builder quote the above out & the cost was astronomical. I ended up adding these features after the build by myself & I’m not a expert wood worker.

Ultimately it comes down with what features are a must have etc!

Happy to dive in deeper as well!

Congrats man!!! Exciting times!

yea we have added in some wood beams and coffered ceilings in places. Certainly something we could add later. But money is so freaking cheap right now and his price is pretty reasonable.

house will be 4bdrms 4 1/2 baths, finished basement, nice size above grade finished and certainly a ton more below finished

find a builder that is comfortable building to your expected level of finish. This can vary much more than i expected. We had a "custom" builder who constantly tried to talk us out of adding something or doing something nicer because "his house doesn't even have that". :rolleyes:

you can never have enough storage space, closet and attic/basement.

plan far ahead if you plan to run wires/home audio/networking stuff (you should)

we hired an interior designed somewhere middle of the build and it was totally worth it. Tried to do it ourselves for cost savings initially.

Funny cause we’ve sat down with probably 7 builders. Eliminated them one by one as we got to this guy. Great reputation and better quality

yea we have added in some wood beams and coffered ceilings in places. Certainly something we could add later. But money is so freaking cheap right now and his price is pretty reasonable.

house will be 4bdrms 4 1/2 baths, finished basement, nice size above grade finished and certainly a ton more below finished
I am all for adding those in if the price is right at time of build. I have a few more areas that we would like to do some custom stuff in, however finding the time is tough.

Are you guys doing wifi controlled lights & thermostats? Another feature we love in our home is the two person shower. The added space and not feeling smothered in the shower is nice. Also make sure to put in a endless hot water tank. (Can't even think of the term they use right now.)

Sounds like an awesome pad.

Thats a good thing, because the cost of lumber is very high right now.

When we re-did our master bath a few years back, we put in a heated floor (fantastic on cold mornings) and a "water closet" for the toilet. Neither one of us care for the open toilet idea.

When we re-did our master bath a few years back, we put in a heated floor (fantastic on cold mornings) and a "water closet" for the toilet. Neither one of us care for the open toilet idea.

During our recent bathroom renovation they asked if we wanted heated floors, and coming from Florida we thought this was the most ridiculous thing we had ever heard, especially for what it was going to cost, so we said no. It’s probably our biggest regret. We would 1000% add it if we could do it all over again.

During our recent bathroom renovation they asked if we wanted heated floors, and coming from Florida we thought this was the most ridiculous thing we had ever heard, especially for what it was going to cost, so we said no. It’s probably our biggest regret. We would 1000% add it if we could do it all over again.

Try moving further north - heated EVERYTHING is needed LOL

I can only imagine!

Thats a good thing, because the cost of lumber is very high right now.

haha. Highest it’s ever been.Not only does he not want us to start yet, I refused to get rolling until it’s under $400 again. So probably won’t start until April/May I’d guess

Uhhhhh ok. That’s getting added to list. No idea how much it costs but will be finding out

I am all for adding those in if the price is right at time of build. I have a few more areas that we would like to do some custom stuff in, however finding the time is tough.

Are you guys doing wifi controlled lights & thermostats? Another feature we love in our home is the two person shower. The added space and not feeling smothered in the shower is nice. Also make sure to put in a endless hot water tank. (Can't even think of the term they use right now.)

Sounds like an awesome pad.
Goal is to have WiFi controlled smart home. But I also know it can get pricey. Our shower is massive. Lol that’s one thing we refuse to skimp on.

Expand the laundry room, you won’t regret it. Also, if you have room build a 3 car garage, this will give you plenty of room for two cars and storage.

Expand the laundry room, you won’t regret it. Also, if you have room build a 3 car garage, this will give you plenty of room for two cars and storage.

The laundry room is such an underrated room, it seems to always be an afterthought, but I agree a good size laundry room is really nice to have.

Full two car garage with a full sized carriage garage as well. So three cars. Carriage isn’t small either. 22’x24’ deep. Laundry room is over sized with cabinets and counter space. Also a spot for a bar to hang clothing.

I would assume, you or your chosen builder, will be employing an professional engineer?

Is someone taking care of below grade water proofing, and drainage from the building?

No organic material will be left below the house?

What about the grade stability you are building on?

Utility connections are oriented properly to your house?

As the eventual home owner, can you read construction blue prints? This, so you can check on your builder as needed.

Just a few questions to get off on the right foot.

I've scoured THP for about ten whole minutes trying to find a thread dedicated to home building. I can' find one. I see the "Home Renovation Thread" but not new home build.....

So, here's the deal.

We are getting ready to start building our first (and hopefully only) custom home. The lot has been acquired and is just over an acre in a nicely spaced development with all +1 acre lots or more. The lot sets up well for a walkout basement as the back of the house will sit in a wooded lot just on the edge of a wooded ravine with a creek. Noone can ever build behind us!

As a first time home builder, im looking for a place to discuss anything of note with other THPers who have went through this process or might be about to.

-Absolute must have additions that we probably arent thinking about?
-Places to NOT overspend within the house
-Anything else lol.....

We can all respectively discuss our own plans and what not, but I was wanting this to be less specific about floor plans, etc as every single plan is different.

So.....lets get it going.
Take a look at prefab.... these are not your daddy’s modular homes....
Method homes; Stillwater homes
Modern or classics designs and can custom or not depending on budget....
They will support start to finish and because they build in factories.... no rain day delays and less waste.
Draw back is they have limitations to how wide they can build modules due to transport....

I am struggling to believe that nobody has recommended ensuring the basement is large and high enough for a full simulator set up with putting green and club repair area!

I would try and have the electric ran so that each room has it's own circuit. Pisses me off that if a breaker trips it turns the power off in one room and in another room at the other end of the house. Makes it hard to work out what tripped it.

I would try and have the electric ran so that each room has it's own circuit. Pisses me off that if a breaker trips it turns the power off in one room and in another room at the other end of the house. Makes it hard to work out what tripped it.
Out here that's sop, and some also city/county code requiremenrs.

Back