The Home Building Thread - Advice & Tips from THP members!

We had another big issue when we made some changes to the plans but our builder encouraged us not to have the plans redone by the architect due to cost assuring us it would be taken care of. It was not.

... and each place that may have a TV has 4.
I was thinking of suggesting that--at least for locations where it's planned to have an extensive media center, but didn't want to come across as completely over the top :ROFLMAO:

Besides: You can always drop a small, five-port Ethernet switch at those locations. The unmanaged ones, in particular, are economical.

It’s been a great decision because I’m using it for things I would not have thought of at the time.
I imagine so.

I was thinking of adding something like "This may seem like a lot, may seem like over-kill now, but every time you place something and can just plug a network connection into a wall outlet and a jumper between its mate and a network switch in a network closet and go, you'll appreciate it."

WiFi, done right, is nice, but nothing beats hard-wired network connections.

Clean up that cabling! Ow it hurts to look at!! :ROFLMAO:
It has been multiple times. I need to spend some $$$$$$$$$$$ on cable management.

It has been multiple times. I need to spend some $$$$$$$$$$$ on cable management.

I'm a network engineer by trade myself so ugly cabling hurts the eyes. However I'm ashamed to admit that my little mess of a corner is BAD. Then again I have 1000 sq ft of house so no use for a rack (or space). Next house though I'm determined to do something similar to what you've done.

Full two car garage with a full sized carriage garage as well. So three cars. Carriage isn’t small either. 22’x24’ deep. Laundry room is over sized with cabinets and counter space. Also a spot for a bar to hang clothing.

If you have room, adding a shower & external door (or an actual mud room). Great for kids/dogs & muddy adults coming inside.

I'm a network engineer by trade myself so ugly cabling hurts the eyes. However I'm ashamed to admit that my little mess of a corner is BAD. Then again I have 1000 sq ft of house so no use for a rack (or space). Next house though I'm determined to do something similar to what you've done.
I work strictly on the OT/plant floor side. So, my mess looks pretty dang good compared to most manufacturing facilities I work in.

I work strictly on the OT/plant floor side. So, my mess looks pretty dang good compared to most manufacturing facilities I work in.
HAHAH I can only imagine! :D

If you have room, adding a shower & external door (or an actual mud room). Great for kids/dogs & muddy adults coming inside.

ha one of the musts for my wife was a mud room. Like, for mud.

Adding a wine cellar or like a cigar lounge if you like any of those.. the cigar lounge with directly vented fan to pull the smoke and smell out, would also be a general man cave

Just realize that no matter how well you plan, something will end up not being right - you will miss thinking about something (or overthink something). Don't stress over it.

One thing I wish we could have done is add outlets with switches in locations that make plugging in Christmas lights easier.

For example: We hang a large wreath over the garage. If we had put an outlet in that area, I could just plug the wreath into that, instead of running an extension cord up to the roof , where it gets plugged into roof-edge icicle light strings (which we don't want to use anymore).

Or adding an external outlet at the back of the yard (vs run 100 ft extension cord).

Granted - these might not be worth the money. I'm just trying to think of things that tend to bring up the "wish I would've done..." thoughts as they come up.

One thing I wish we could have done is add outlets with switches in locations that make plugging in Christmas lights easier.

For example: We hang a large wreath over the garage. If we had put an outlet in that area, I could just plug the wreath into that, instead of running an extension cord up to the roof , where it gets plugged into roof-edge icicle light strings (which we don't want to use anymore).

Or adding an external outlet at the back of the yard (vs run 100 ft extension cord).

Granted - these might not be worth the money. I'm just trying to think of things that tend to bring up the "wish I would've done..." thoughts as they come up.
I personally think this is a quality of life answer here. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but a little extra money spent in this area can make life soo much easier in my opinion.

We didn't build the house we're in now, but 3 things I wish we could have done during the design process:

If you have a walkout basement these might be moot points:

1) the hallway where the basement door opens is too narrow - it makes maneuvering furniture/large items really difficult.
2) the basement steps & landing area are also too narrow. We can't move large couches down to the basement. Make sure you give spaces like these a little more room if you can.

3) I would've made the basement deep enough to swing a driver - even after finishing with full ceilings. A few extra courses of concrete blocks would not have cost very much in the overall scheme of things - and perhaps I'd be able to add a golf sim/practice area now

If you have coffee drinkers in the house I’d highly recommend a built-in coffee machine for the kitchen. We have 5 coffee drinkers in our household and I’d estimate the coffee machine saves us from buying a couple hundred specialty drinks from Starbucks each year. When my wife insisted on it with our 2012 build I thought it was a waste of money but it gets used everyday we are home and we now have installed one in our condo when we did the remodel last year.

Home lot is officially secured!!!!!

If you have coffee drinkers in the house I’d highly recommend a built-in coffee machine for the kitchen. We have 5 coffee drinkers in our household and I’d estimate the coffee machine saves us from buying a couple hundred specialty drinks from Starbucks each year. When my wife insisted on it with our 2012 build I thought it was a waste of money but it gets used everyday we are home and we now have installed one in our condo when we did the remodel last year.
My wife works for Philips NA...we will be adding a super automatic espresso machine as she basically can buy them at cost certain times of the year. That, a nespresso, a Keurig like machine, and a Chemex. Lol we drink a lot of coffee.

My wife works for Philips NA...we will be adding a super automatic espresso machine as she basically can buy them at cost certain times of the year. That, a nespresso, a Keurig like machine, and a Chemex. Lol we drink a lot of coffee.
Excellent choices other than keurig.

I have seen the builders work first hand and everything is on point great homes and great people to work with.

Nice! Congrats! Who is the builder?
Never mind - saw the post. Not familiar with Bridgeport Builders (I wonder if they do work on the east side of the area in my neck of the woods?) - but I'm not really paying attention to that stuff anymore.

This is exciting stuff! Enjoy it!

Heated floors are a must. My townhouse had a hose faucet in the garage; my current house does not. I would put one in because it makes it so easy to get the salt off in the winter on warm day. I would also consider future proofing the house such as dryer outlets in the garage for electric vehicles and maybe even an electric conduit to the roof if you are ever thinking of solar panels. Finally I would make sure that the furnace/ac are highly efficient and that the house is well insulated. They have made a lot of progress in that in the last decade. Our 5000 sq house built in 2017 cost less to heat and cool than our 2500 sq townhouse built in 2007.

Excellent choices other than keurig.

I have seen the builders work first hand and everything is on point great homes and great people to work with.
Keurig “like”......it’s not a keurig. It’s a matching that accepts all forms of coffee pods lol.

Keurig “like”......it’s not a keurig. It’s a matching that accepts all forms of coffee pods lol.
Pods= plastic can't untaste it... Other then nespresso... Oh well.

Back