The Home Building Thread - Advice & Tips from THP members!

My wife works for Philips NA...we will be adding a super automatic espresso machine as she basically can buy them at cost certain times of the year. That, a nespresso, a Keurig like machine, and a Chemex. Lol we drink a lot of coffee.
Saeco Xelsis.

Automatic timers for the bathroom fans are nice. My wife hates them though so I wasn't allowed to install them on my bathroom renovation.

going to be throwing some pictures in here of other similar homes, layouts etc. Looking for some ideas or feedback.

Keep in mind this is not our house but a very similar layout that we are kind of going off of.
Moving fireplace to an interior wall. Replacing with middle opening glass retractable sliders to lead into a 18x25 foot covered outdoor living area with a fireplace, seating and tv.

68ECD5FD-D6F4-414E-991D-A3C00FB587DF.jpeg388B0508-BBCC-4B1A-BAEF-CD775F16EC14.jpeg
Raising all main floor ceiling heights to 10’ and adding wood beams in kitchen areas and office.
697D3B80-CDDA-4C25-9832-DA1CE7484AF5.jpeg418E3F2E-C91A-4E3C-949F-1F739C6E3EAC.jpeg

Office area: exposed corner to corner wood beams:

F2E8FB09-7F5C-4699-9919-730F05C785D5.jpegE7F8B5FF-3C32-445A-9AD4-5C706B9A0DC7.jpeg01C4339C-3A68-4B4F-B765-43E24790B346.jpeg

If you are putting your TV over the fireplace make sure you know the max size TV you can fit there and if you are happy with that.

I love the high ceilings and beams, just love them! Love the open floor plan and love the barn doors.

Kitchen: ceiling height raised a foot. Addiction of wood beam through out. Pot filler added. Much larger and spacious island with table height seating in the from side. Extended cabinetry down kitchen wall into breakfast area which will be bumped out 3’. Plus a bunch of other crap

leaning towards a white or whiteish Cabinet.

3400E973-F824-4902-B2B2-BD26B2F92EAF.jpeg3A2458A4-81C3-4C44-A71D-D95895B6A8A6.jpegECA940D8-81F8-471C-917D-7528F431E998.jpeg048C72EE-72F4-44CE-8FF6-B50912DD477D.jpeg8A368823-3F78-4347-A12E-8A6B3B216EB7.jpeg

Master bath: these people chose terrible lighting

D75C4A65-CFBC-4D02-AED0-CF111D23101A.jpegF14F630F-064A-4CC9-9F29-9CC8E8C26FE2.jpeg1E4D619E-3905-4D49-83D7-0C10C585C384.jpegCB6950CE-6E27-405B-AA1F-016156075A79.jpeg

Keep in mind this is not our house but a very similar layout that we are kind of going off of.
Moving fireplace to an interior wall. Replacing with middle opening glass retractable sliders to lead into a 18x25 foot covered outdoor living area with a fireplace, seating and tv.

View attachment 8988404
Raising all main floor ceiling heights to 10’ and adding wood beams in kitchen areas and office.

Fireplace is moving. Does the glass sliders go all the way across that wall now? Does the upper portion of what is shiplap in the picture become glass too? Which exposure does this wall have?

Basement area: these folks didn’t setup their basement correctly and wasted a toooooon of space. Ours will be a walkout and about 3 maybe four times as big. But here is an idea for a bar area I’m trying to get done.
C2106D65-F3F3-48EE-884D-CB5F6CD3994F.jpeg25F6BAA9-1175-4288-AD8A-E9B6BF2DD694.jpegD3AA954C-E402-45A0-AC49-E4D8C682AA5F.jpeg

How’s the pantry size? I’m a big pantry person.
Yes. So you see where the door is there to the right of the fridge. It goes back and and wraps all the way behind that entire wall of cabinets and stove area. It’s massive.

Fireplace is moving. Does the glass sliders go all the way across that wall now? Does the upper portion of what is shiplap in the picture become glass too? Which exposure does this wall have?
The exposure will be northwest. But it honestly doesn’t matter as it will be on the endg of a ravine so it will be tree covered back there fully.

the fireplace moves. Will be stone all the way up. Fully extending and retractable glass slider doors creating a one room feel.above there will be added transome Windows and another large window on top in between where the two are there now.

That TV in the bar area is far too small. Is that a bottle of The Prisoner being stored on the shelf vertically like that?

Yes. So you see where the door is there to the right of the fridge. It goes back and and wraps all the way behind that entire wall of cabinets and stove area. It’s massive.

I am so jealous!!!! I know it might seem weird but I dream of a large walk-in pantry one day.

The exposure will be northwest. But it honestly doesn’t matter as it will be on the endg of a ravine so it will be tree covered back there fully.

the fireplace moves. Will be stone all the way up. Fully extending and retractable glass slider doors creating a one room feel.above there will be added transome Windows and another large window on top in between where the two are there now.
With the northwest exposure, I say more windows the better. Get that light in there!

That TV in the bar area is far too small. Is that a bottle of The Prisoner being stored on the shelf vertically like that?

totall agree. This is the way they have it. The tv seems like an afterthought. Lol. Like.....crap we forgot we need to put a tv there.

I am so jealous!!!! I know it might seem weird but I dream of a large walk-in pantry one day.

same. Our closet (I like to call it) now we can’t even get in. Literally it’s smaller than a coat closet. This....this could have a microwave...other aplliances...a ton of food. I’ll take a few pics when we got back again. It’s big enough for 3-4 people to be inside at one time.

Last edited:
With the northwest exposure, I say more windows the better. Get that light in there!
Well that’s one reason we are moving the fireplace. Just seemed a bit too dark In there. Add in a slider and more windows

I’ll say this....id almost rather have cabinets up above rathe than the shelving and put a tv nearby. Or, skip the cabinets and make it a big tv and add shelving somewhere else.

I’ll say this....id almost rather have cabinets up above rathe than the shelving and put a tv nearby. Or, skip the cabinets and make it a big tv and add shelving somewhere else.
Just use the simulator screen for TV down there.

Just use the simulator screen for TV down there.
welllllllllllllll since you mention it. When you turn the whole bar sideways like i show in the picture above with my profesionally drawn lines....we blow out the wall to the left and open it up and shove th ebar area back and left a bit. Then the support pole bumps back and to the right of the bar area is where we drop the floor by a foot and create a 15'x19-20" area specifically designed for a "theatre area and or golf simulator area".

I know you said this above wasn't your house, but I have to say I think that house is just gorgeous. I mean I love every bit of it. The sliders will look fantastic when done and adding the wood beams will really be a nice touch.

In the basement bar area, I would remove the TV altogether. I am a big believer in multiple TVs in the basement, but having the bar open.

I would build a cabinet that will hold a couple of rows of either alcohol or wine bottles going over the middle. I would add some unique decorations that suit your taste and add some LED lighting. Add some retro Cleveland Brown memorabilia and such.

welllllllllllllll since you mention it. When you turn the whole bar sideways like i show in the picture above with my profesionally drawn lines....we blow out the wall to the left and open it up and shove th ebar area back and left a bit. Then the support pole bumps back and to the right of the bar area is where we drop the floor by a foot and create a 15'x19-20" area specifically designed for a "theatre area and or golf simulator area".
I'll give you a pass on support "pole" haha. At least you didn't call it a "vertical beam."

Back