The Home Renovation Thread

Lots left to do, and it’s been a learning experience, but man it’s been fun. Have to replace about 10 more feet of sill plate I didn’t think I would, and then frame in the last window. After that, can start sheathing the outside (y)

Don’t mind the tree limbs I still havent trimmed yet, waiting until I get to working on the roof. And don’t judge me, I’m learning as I go :ROFLMAO:

CAB67610-AF03-42ED-9332-1762F3EBF857.jpeg

Lots left to do, and it’s been a learning experience, but man it’s been fun. Have to replace about 10 more feet of sill plate I didn’t think I would, and then frame in the last window. After that, can start sheathing the outside (y)

Don’t mind the tree limbs I still havent trimmed yet, waiting until I get to working on the roof. And don’t judge me, I’m learning as I go :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 8972865
Looks like a nice space for the indoor sim :golf:

Looks like a nice space for the indoor sim :golf:
Haha, too short of ceilings or I’d have already claimed it. Was an old outbuilding, now it’ll be an office for the Doc and her LLC.

On a slab, too. Lucky.

On a slab, too. Lucky.
Previous owners cut no corners, it just sat empty for a few years after they passed. It’s nice now that I’m stay at home I can actually start doing all these projects. After this, golf cave is next (y)

Previous owners cut no corners, it just sat empty for a few years after they passed. It’s nice now that I’m stay at home I can actually start doing all these projects. After this, golf cave is next (y)
Golf cave may need its own thread! Once we find out if my wife will do fellowship or become an attending physician and we determine if we need to move again, that’s at the top of my list!

I've got a 10x14 Lark shed on blocks for hte mower and other yard stuffs. This county apparently waffles on if sheds need permits or not, so its set up that if someone did happen to see it in passing, they would assume it is since its blocked and anchored. I'd love to eventually clear out some space in the back for a pole barn at least. Just something covered outdoors with some actual space.

The glass for the shower is being installed now and then the bathroom will be complete....for now. I have some ideas for one of the walls, but will need to wait a bit.

Has anyone converted a shower/tub to a shower stall? I’m not sure I can take it on or if I want to invest much funds into the tiny master bath that we intend to not have as the master if we renovate the house in the future.

Has anyone converted a shower/tub to a shower stall? I’m not sure I can take it on or if I want to invest much funds into the tiny master bath that we intend to not have as the master if we renovate the house in the future.

We moved our shower over to where the tub used to be and created a larger shower. However, we hired a professional because we are not capable of a project like that so I can't say if it is worth it if you are doing it yourself. The extent of my handyman abilities was replacing all the door handles and hinges on every door in the house. I was, and still am, so proud of myself for that haha.

My parents removed the bath and installed a shower when my dad started having problems with his hip as he couldn't really manage getting in and out of the bath

They got someone in to do the job but I don't know how much it cost them as it was a number of years ago, but I don't think it was too difficult to do as the pipework and waste were left in the same place, so it was more just a case of fitting the shower and tiling it

My parents removed the bath and installed a shower when my dad started having problems with his hip as he couldn't really manage getting in and out of the bath

They got someone in to do the job but I don't know how much it cost them as it was a number of years ago, but I don't think it was too difficult to do as the pipework and waste were left in the same place, so it was more just a case of fitting the shower and tiling it

That is kind of how ours was too. we were able to use the same piping from where the tub was, we just created a new wall and ran it up that wall. We had to move the drain, but it was apparently a pretty easy thing to do. Time consuming, but not difficult.

New counters are installed, reconnected the disposal and faucet, just waiting on the 4" backspash to be done tomorrow

20201106_110754.jpg

To this
20201106_173518.jpg

Holy hell that stuff is heavy. I had to help on the island and the long sink piece, was definitely a struggle

View attachment 8972865
Great plan to use the roof as a work level to trim up those branches.... just a small piece of advice from experience..... Don't reach out too far! ;)

Now 4 months in the basement with a hot plate, a Ninja 5 in 1, a hotel fridge, a rarely used crockpot and a microwave and weekends at the laundromat. Today we got a fridge, a washer and dryer (functioning) and a dishwasher (not yet). Reading the manuals now, says don't plug fridge in with wet hands and don't stare at the LED lights, Test run by installers with the washing machine didn't flood the basement, all good. Light switches in the bedroom, 2 work and 3 don't, We're getting there and nobody is dead yet, but if completion doesn't come soon, there are no guarantees.

Now 4 months in the basement with a hot plate, a Ninja 5 in 1, a hotel fridge, a rarely used crockpot and a microwave and weekends at the laundromat. Today we got a fridge, a washer and dryer (functioning) and a dishwasher (not yet). Reading the manuals now, says don't plug fridge in with wet hands and don't stare at the LED lights, Test run by installers with the washing machine didn't flood the basement, all good. Light switches in the bedroom, 2 work and 3 don't, We're getting there and nobody is dead yet, but if completion doesn't come soon, there are no guarantees.
Hahaha, yeah, the renovation road to the end is always brutal. The Doc and I lived in the living room for 3 months when she was pregnant with the twins as we had the bedroom half of the house redone and it was brutal. But thank goodness we still had the kitchen haha

New roof underpayment for the tile roof and exterior paint on whole house. Monday starts complete concrete tear out of driveway and pool surround to install stamped concrete. If mamas not happy.....nobody’s happy 🤣

at some point papas going to need a driver fitting

All of the kitchen units are installed, we just need the electrician now to finish the numerous sockets and connect the appliances and we can use the kitchen again

Very happy with how it has gone in, just a bit frustrating that we can't use it still

Getting there.....

20201107_141223.jpg

Fridge freezer at the end of the run which includes sink, washing machine and dishwasher

20201107_141131.jpg

Oven, hob and various cupboards and the wine cooler that was a little extra that we added

20201107_141413.jpg

View looking from the dining room towards the patio doors - it looks a bit darker than it actually is because the dining room end hasn't been painted and we don't have any lights fitted yet

View attachment 8972865

@Jman you say you're learning as you go. Are you youtubing a bunch of framing videos or just looking at the studs and saying "I'm gonna do this!" and make it happen?

We moved our shower over to where the tub used to be and created a larger shower. However, we hired a professional because we are not capable of a project like that so I can't say if it is worth it if you are doing it yourself. The extent of my handyman abilities was replacing all the door handles and hinges on every door in the house. I was, and still am, so proud of myself for that haha.

@GolferGal what's the trick you learned to change out the hinges? Was it to only do them one at a time or did you make the mistake would have and taken the first 2 doors completely off the hinges before realizing the one at a time thing would work better? Assuming that the hinges fit into the mortises in the door frame:D

@Jman you say you're learning as you go. Are you youtubing a bunch of framing videos or just looking at the studs and saying "I'm gonna do this!" and make it happen?

@GolferGal what's the trick you learned to change out the hinges? Was it to only do them one at a time or did you make the mistake would have and taken the first 2 doors completely off the hinges before realizing the one at a time thing would work better? Assuming that the hinges fit into the mortises in the door frame:D

One at a time for sure! I did not make the mistake of taking the whole door off. Most went on easily, a few I had to make some adjustments.

This Old House is awesome :ROFLMAO:

Back