The Home Renovation Thread

New flooring is being installed next month. We had some constraints with our sub-floor so we ended up going with engineered wood through Lumber Liguidators. We went with an option where they basically do everything, so it is costing us. But given that we have 17 year old contractor grade flooring still down ... it was beyond time and we were willing to splurge. The materials get delivered Monday. I can't wait for the work to be done and to have the new floors.

Last edited:
We would love to do an outdoor kitchen/living space, it’s something we miss a lot from our home in Florida. We know it won’t be as big as what we had, those old Florida home had the best backyards, but if we can even do 1/2 of it we will be happy.

Going to get some quotes and see if it‘s possible, but based on early research, this might be a pipe dream, backyard stuff is so expensive. We aren’t looking for anything fancy, I just want to be able to use the grill/pellet grill outside without worrying about about the elements, some storage and a prep area for cooking, and have a place to put our outdoor patio furniture (a small L-shaped couch).

I guess I should catch up... in the past year I have rebuilt the benches on our patio deck, stripped and re-stained the deck, repainted the interior of the house, had the daughter's room repainted and hung new blinds throughout most of the house. And the wife still says I don't do anything around here :)

This isn't for a home but I spent the day adding some design to the wall in my wife's new office lobby. Tomorrow they'll get it all painted.

2B9F3EDA-4624-42AB-9095-64BEFA241A9F.jpeg7CBAAC56-CC98-4278-B334-F812D943E2A3.jpeg

We spent about another $700 getting under cabinet led strips hard wired in when we did our old kitchen remodel. Totally worth it!!! Lighting under the cabinet is a huge upgrade and looks great, especially at night when you just need some soft light going on.
View attachment 8983075
We have it in our kitchen too, I use it all the time, love it!

View attachment 8983115
Same here, we have just had dinner at the breakfast bar and I grabbed this pic after we had tidied up

20210102_173939.jpg

Did someone say renovation??

image.jpg

As we get ready to remodel the bathroom, we ran into an issue.

For those that remodeled their bathroom, how to you get the vanity up to the second floor? The idea of strapping to a dolly looks more difficult than I expected. With the vanity being over 350 pounds I feel like Ross from Friends and yelling pivot isn’t going to go over well.

Thought that separating the top from the cabinet would be the best option, but was told not a great idea.

As we get ready to remodel the bathroom, we ran into an issue.

For those that remodeled their bathroom, how to you get the vanity up to the second floor? The idea of strapping to a dolly looks more difficult than I expected. With the vanity being over 350 pounds I feel like Ross from Friends and yelling pivot isn’t going to go over well.

Thought that separating the top from the cabinet would be the best option, but was told not a great idea.
Take the top off, it will cut the weight in half.

Continuing my remodel and starting my Bryson speed program.

how to take out a cast iron tub 101.. get a 20 pound sledge and work on your club head speed.

image.jpg

No before pics, but needless to say the downstairs bathroom didn’t look like this when we moved in. The wife decided to honour my homeland, sort of.
0DA154C7-6A83-4612-9714-0BC078314DB2.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife and I are going to be contracting out our bathroom to be remodeled, for those that have done it what cost and how difficult was putting in a hideaway door?

The closet is connected to the bathroom and would like a hideaway door vs opening into the bathroom.
I cannot comment on cost as it depends on the contractor, it will take more time and effort to modify/replace the studs that the door panel will recess into. it will, however, be a super clean look. If it is within the budget, I'd go for it.

Finally making some progress on getting the railing installed. Hole for the stairs will be cut in probably 2 weeks. I've had these posts and railings built for probably close to two or three months now. Have two more railing sections, the final newel post, and then the half post in the wall.

1610385180977.png

Well I have to get this one right??

image.jpg

Upstairs bathroom needs to get remodeled. The counters are low and need a standing shower instead of the tub. Also wanting to get the girls some extra shelving/storage.

Getting quotes is always fun.

just got finished up with a HELOC.......wow our house apprised for waaaaaaaaaay more than we expected.

Need to do some painting, hardwood/laminate in master bath and other guest bath on first floor and put up a backsplash in the kitchen. Then, she'll be ready to list late spring i think.

Finally making some progress on getting the railing installed. Hole for the stairs will be cut in probably 2 weeks. I've had these posts and railings built for probably close to two or three months now. Have two more railing sections, the final newel post, and then the half post in the wall.

View attachment 8987574
Wait, what? You're putting in a new staircase? Need to know more about this project.

Wait, what? You're putting in a new staircase? Need to know more about this project.
Its an absolute beast of a project. Our home didn't have interior stairs to the basement. I recently figured out that when the house was built the original owners, the husband wanted a shop and the wife said no way because too much dust will get up to the main floor. The fix was just no stairs to the unfinished basement and his shop was down there. So now I'm finishing out the basement and rather than continue to use the exterior stairs I have put I had to put in new beams, cut the TJI's for the hole where the stairs are going and build the stairs. I've been slowly working on it and I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

1610404151752.png1610404195460.png1610404237970.png

1610404305931.png
And this is the most current picture I have of the room. Currently 95% of drywall is up, including the drywall up the halfwall on the stairs.
1610404452327.png

Our materials were delivered last week and are sitting in the living room. We got on the schedule today for the installation to happen Feb 15. Not happy but they are dealing with Covid outbreaks in one of their crews so everything is getting pushed back. It is what it is.

Back