The Home Renovation Thread

Coming along

A2853108-929C-4C12-B89D-6DF5096EA235.jpeg

We now have a roof

2DBF8F39-CF65-4037-9E1B-043D2131EF3D.jpeg

With kitchen, master bath and tech studio complete, the final project is t make this area into our outdoor kitchen, seating area and enclosed by roof and screen.

View attachment 8992313
If you and @GolferGal ever want to paint the brick I highly recommend romabio.. they have limewash and a masonry one, we thoroughly like ours

ISmmrmsfhyi5yb0000000000.jpg
20200821_133510.jpg
Before and after, and its Nube Grey... there was such a battle between me wanting that color. And her wanting more white... 2 days later she says she's glad we didn't do white with the grey siding

If you and @GolferGal ever want to paint the brick I highly recommend romabio.. they have limewash and a masonry one, we thoroughly like ours

View attachment 8992949
View attachment 8992950
Before and after, and its Nube Grey... there was such a battle between me wanting that color. And her wanting more white... 2 days later she says she's glad we didn't do white with the grey siding

We like our brick color, but your transformation looks great!

Plus, our HOA is very strict about what color the brick can be. A couple of neighbors took it upon themselves to pain their brick white without permission, now there are lawsuits, it's a whole thing.

We like our brick color, but your transformation looks great!

Plus, our HOA is very strict about what color the brick can be. A couple of neighbors took it upon themselves to pain their brick white without permission, now there are lawsuits, it's a whole thing.
Oh yeah HOAs can be a pain in the ass on that stuff.

I liked the original brick too. And so did my wife supposedly, until she saw some home reno show and found that paint. Then it was just a matter time til I had to do it

Progress looks great on your new place!

Updated bathrooms.

4DA8E0C5-ACFA-4CB5-A894-F1AD68D12868.jpeg41353957-06B0-48E5-B6ED-66E23B993626.jpeg679593E3-FB7C-4C32-B1C0-C8E966694B8F.jpeg73768A06-66D6-4987-98DA-AFFC0966C14B.jpeg

Oh yeah HOAs can be a pain in the ass on that stuff.

I liked the original brick too. And so did my wife supposedly, until she saw some home reno show and found that paint. Then it was just a matter time til I had to do it

Progress looks great on your new place!

Thanks! I think painted brick can be beautiful, but the fight with the HOA is not worth it, especially since we don't mind our color. Which is funny because we normally don't like dark red brick, but because the house has some stone too, it actually looks pretty good together, at least we think so.

wondering if this is going to double as a roof top deck or a parking structure... that thing is framed to carry a tank!
I agree! I don't think you would normally see TJIs for a patio enclosure, but commodity lumber is in such high demand right now that using an engineered product like this was either cheaper or faster to get.

wondering if this is going to double as a roof top deck or a parking structure... that thing is framed to carry a tank!

I agree! I don't think you would normally see TJIs for a patio enclosure, but commodity lumber is in such high demand right now that using an engineered product like this was either cheaper or faster to get.

I hope this means it's going to be a solid structure?

The lumbar company that our contractor bought it from has an engineer on staff to make sure all structures are structurally sound. Or so I am told, so I am choosing to believe it.

I hope this means it's going to be a solid structure?

The lumbar company that our contractor bought it from has an engineer on staff to make sure all structures are structurally sound. Or so I am told, so I am choosing to believe it.
Yeah that looks like it is going to be quite solid.

We get accused of overengineering all the time, but sometimes you've got to use what's available, even if it might be a bit of overkill.

Yeah that looks like it is going to be quite solid.

We get accused of overengineering all the time, but sometimes you've got to use what's available, even if it might be a bit of overkill.

Well, I like hearing that, thanks! Our contractor tried to talk us out of doing this project because the cost of wood is so inflated right now, but who knows if it just stays this way moving forward, so we figured let's just do it now so we can actually enjoy cooking outside again.

Well, I like hearing that, thanks! Our contractor tried to talk us out of doing this project because the cost of wood is so inflated right now, but who knows if it just stays this way moving forward, so we figured let's just do it now so we can actually enjoy cooking outside again.
We had a project months ago where the contractor was using plywood sheathing with integrated waterproofing (meant for exterior walls) for interior walls because he couldn't get regular sheathing in any sort of reasonable time. Had to keep the project moving and was willing to pay a premium to do so. Construction costs are crazy right now.

We had a project months ago where the contractor was using plywood sheathing with integrated waterproofing (meant for exterior walls) for interior walls because he couldn't get regular sheathing in any sort of reasonable time. Had to keep the project moving and was willing to pay a premium to do so. Construction costs are crazy right now.

The supply and demand for construction supplies are outrageous. Apparently everyone decided they hated their homes and wanted to renovate when COVID hit.

The supply and demand for construction supplies are outrageous. Apparently everyone decided they hated their homes and wanted to renovate when COVID hit.
Not just renovation, but purchasing as well, as I'm sure you experienced with the move. We thought we were lucky to sell our house in February last year. Would have been nice to hold onto it for a few more months, but hindsight is 20/20.

Not just renovation, but purchasing as well, as I'm sure you experienced with the move. We thought we were lucky to sell our house in February last year. Would have been nice to hold onto it for a few more months, but hindsight is 20/20.

Oh for sure. We started looking for houses in March, and the inventory and prices were plentiful, when we finally decided to pull the trigger and make the move in May, the options were far more slim and prices were either on the rise or sellers were no longer willing to negotiate. We had multiple, full price offers on our house after two days I think it was. We got lucky to sell/buy before the prices really skyrocketed, but we could see it was going to happen very very soon. We could have gotten more for our house if we waited, but then we would have had to pay more, so it all evens out.

T
Not only TJI's for a patio enclosure, but TJIs that look to be 12" OC

For the DIY-ERS, thoughts on various tool brands? I'm looking for a fairly encompassing set, even if I may not need or use a particular tool much. Ryobi is obviously the cheapest and gets very good reviews, but a few buddies are advising to stay away due to longevity and quality. I did come across this awesome dewalt deal, and by no means am I a pro/contractor but the reputation and longevity of dewalt is enticing (but holy hell are batteries expensive vs ryobi). I wouldn't need the grinder or even the sander, but would maybe rather have reciprocating (but I can get that corded I guess and any brand then)

Screenshot_20210213-075616_Chrome.jpg

The ryobi one i can basically get the set up, BUT plus a couple bigger hp+ batteries, for $60 less or so
Screenshot_20210213-080431_Chrome.jpg

I appreciate any input!

For the DIY-ERS, thoughts on various tool brands? I'm looking for a fairly encompassing set, even if I may not need or use a particular tool much. Ryobi is obviously the cheapest and gets very good reviews, but a few buddies are advising to stay away due to longevity and quality. I did come across this awesome dewalt deal, and by no means am I a pro/contractor but the reputation and longevity of dewalt is enticing (but holy hell are batteries expensive vs ryobi). I wouldn't need the grinder or even the sander, but would maybe rather have reciprocating (but I can get that corded I guess and any brand then)

View attachment 8993221

The ryobi one i can basically get the set up, BUT plus a couple bigger hp+ batteries, for $60 less or so
View attachment 8993222

I appreciate any input!
I own a few Ryobi tools, circular saw and orbital sander, both corded and they are fine for my limited purposes. I had a cordless Ryobi drill that was underpowered for my bathroom renovation. Thanks to my brother in law I got drawn into the Milwaukee brand for cordless tools. I have a drill, impact driver, mini sawzall, leaf blower, and weed whacker and they are bulletproof. I can't speak directly to DeWalt, but I know THPer @hickerad does some serious woodworking using that brand.

If it were me, I would spend a little more on cordless. Not only do I think the tools are better quality, but the batteries are as well.

I own a few Ryobi tools, circular saw and orbital sander, both corded and they are fine for my limited purposes. I had a cordless Ryobi drill that was underpowered for my bathroom renovation. Thanks to my brother in law I got drawn into the Milwaukee brand for cordless tools. I have a drill, impact driver, mini sawzall, leaf blower, and weed whacker and they are bulletproof. I can't speak directly to DeWalt, but I know THPer @hickerad does some serious woodworking using that brand.

If it were me, I would spend a little more on cordless. Not only do I think the tools are better quality, but the batteries are as well.

Oh I for sure was going cordless, and ideally brushless. The corded would be for the tool i'd pribably rarely use like reciprocating saw.

And the feedback of the drills bring underpowered is something I've seen, just wasn't sure if it was something remedied by a bigger battery

Oh I for sure was going cordless, and ideally brushless. The corded would be for the tool i'd pribably rarely use like reciprocating saw.

And the feedback of the drills bring underpowered is something I've seen, just wasn't sure if it was something remedied by a bigger battery
FWIW, my ryobi drill was 12 volt, and my Milwaukee tools are 18 volt, which definitely explains the difference in power.

FWIW, my ryobi drill was 12 volt, and my Milwaukee tools are 18 volt, which definitely explains the difference in power.
Good point.. pulled the trigger on that dewalt set. Ryobi is always that cheap, couldn't pass up the deal on the dewalts, and they'll last for me for way longer

Edit- did more research into those combo kits for dewalt, some odd marketing and they basically box up not even retail versions or with lower performance. So ill be returning and I already ordered a Milwaukee brushless 3 tool set for 280. Was tempted to add in a sawzall set that would come with an extra 5ah battery, but that was an extra 270 I didn't need to spend so ill piece that collection over time

Damn tool buying was stressful, basically making a long term commitment

Last edited:
I have several Ryobi 18v tools, and can't say I've ever had one let me down or have a battery go bad. My one 40v battery does have occasional issues taking a charge. Trimmed it my old house with their finishing nailer. Built the fence at the new house with their impact driver. In the summer I use the shop fan on the golf course hanging on the windshield of the cart.

Laundry room cabinets are on their way to Home Depot. I’ll make the drive if they’re going to charge $90 for shipping. Already have eyes on the next project. Either master closet organizer or converting laundry room closet into a little mud room thing.

Back