The Home Renovation Thread

Cabinets (in-stock :rolleyes:) I ordered a month ago may be in this week. Just a trio of cabinets for the laundry room. Any advice on hanging them?
Face frame clamps are ideal for installing cabinets. They can be had on Amazon for $25. Start from the corner and go out from there. If there is a corner. I pre-drill holes in the cabinets to match where the studs are. Start the screws in the holes. Hang the first one as level as you can and add from there. The face frame clamps keep the faces nice and tight/flush. Pre-drill the holes in the face frames and use trim head screws.

When you say resin shed, do you mean plastic?
Yeah but one of the mid range ones, not cheap plastic. LIFETIME or suncast probably.. but they're all out of stock right now

Just means the hardwood floor project will get done first, but if I can get the base done and prepped then I can order when available

After living in a few new houses that I built, the wife and I decided to down size to a smaller ranch built in the 1960s. The kids were finishing high school and we didn't need the space. We found one in a great location with some things already done. We bought the house in the fall of 2019. So far I have:
Built a 10x10 shed.
Remodeled the living room with new hardwood flooring, paint and alder doors/trim.
Gutted the main bath and installed tile in the tub shower and the floor. Built a custom vanity and recessed mirror/light. Paint and alder door/trim
Converted the single stall attached garage into an indoor/outdoor bar with an indoor golf simulator in it. Installed field stone siding around the new bar door.
Removed and replaced the shingled roof with steel and new gutters.
This summer I am adding a 26x28 attached garage and I have some trim to paint. which will cut into my golf rounds, significantly.
Next year it will be a new kitchen cabinets, paint and flooring. Some pictures.
I'm already starting to wish that I just built a new ranch. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_193205.jpg
    IMG_20190928_193205.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191101_185857.jpg
    IMG_20191101_185857.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191101_185909.jpg
    IMG_20191101_185909.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20318.jpeg
    20318.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210317_221328211.jpg
    PXL_20210317_221328211.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200918_183952.jpg
    IMG_20200918_183952.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20201108_210621225.jpg
    PXL_20201108_210621225.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20201031_141600652 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201031_141600652 (1).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20201031_200032132.jpg
    PXL_20201031_200032132.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 13
Looks like 1st week of April for the stairs and upstairs hallway to be completed.

Popcorn and pony wall be gone! Progress! Now the sanding begins 😢

2A481649-99B3-41B5-A7AA-CDB0DACB6705.jpeg

On to filling in nail pops and repairing some areas (paper rips, and lost a shoddily done tape job on a section of rock that had been replaced at some point) followed by a **** ton of sanding.

Doc is pissed because in her head this whole room was like a 3 day job. I told her that was dumb. I am now in the doghouse and working alone. :ROFLMAO:

On to filling in nail pops and repairing some areas (paper rips, and lost a shoddily done tape job on a section of rock that had been replaced at some point) followed by a **** ton of sanding.

Doc is pissed because in her head this whole room was like a 3 day job. I told her that was dumb. I am now in the doghouse and working alone. :ROFLMAO:

I've been following your daily progress on the book of face. It's fun to watch. and LMAO at a 3 day job.

I blame HGTV for these misconceptions. I once told my wife I was flattered that she had such a high opinion of my skillset, but I wasn't quite that good. Still wound up in the doghouse.

I blame HGTV for these misconceptions. I once told my wife I was flattered that she had such a high opinion of my skillset, but I wasn't quite that good. Still wound up in the doghouse.
It’s hilarious.

To be fair, I let her have that perception so she would agree to start the project and help me scrape it, because the rest I sort of love doing

I think it's safe to say that many of us on THP outkicked our coverages in the spousal department.

It’s hilarious.

To be fair, I let her have that perception so she would agree to start the project and help me scrape it, because the rest I sort of love doing
I never ask my wife for help on my projects. She used to bug me to death, wanting to help. I gave in and asked her to help me pull about 300 flooring staples in the living/dining room of our second house. She made it through 1/3 of the floor and tapped out. Never heard from her since. I might grab her to help me lift something that's too heavy or awkward for 1 person but that's about it. She does all of the yard work in exchange. Which is nice.

I'd gladly assist anyone here with home improvement advice. I've done almost everything in residential construction. Even a little HVAC. Also built 60 new houses as a PM and a GC.
Any considerations for sub floor replacement? Plan was just to run a dremel along the walls and remove each section/replace.

Any considerations for sub floor replacement? Plan was just to run a dremel along the walls and remove each section/replace.
How old is the house? Is it OSB subfloor? You might need to sand old glue off the tops of the joists. I'd definitely recommend using PL400 sub floor adhesive and tongue and grove subfloor for replacement. Anywhere you can't use tongue and groove, scab some framing in between the joists to hail/screw to. The PL400 will keep the subfloor from squeaking when you walk on it.

Last edited:
How old is the house? Is it OSB subfloor? You might need to sand old glue off the tops of the joists. I'd definitely recommend using PL400 sub floor adhesive and tongue and grove subfloor for replacement. Anywhere you can't use tongue and groove, scab some framing in between the joists to hail/screw to. The PL400 will keep the subfloor from squeaking when you walk on it.
Built in 2003. It's OSB and I already purchased non-tongue/groove OSB to replace with (and unfortunately already painted it so stuck with it). Thank you for the adhesive recommendation and the framing idea.

This man speaks the truth.

Aaaaaaand now wife wants to add some more recessed lighting in the kitchen to be above the table
20210318_195910.jpg

Issue is our beams run front to back in the pic, so its either 15 ft big mess and drywall issue, or connect to a wire and outlet thats to the right of the door.

And all while we may need to have our ductwork replaced. Its original from 1987, single zone for 2 story, probably the wrong size and sorted wrong (duuuuumps heat upstairs, super cold downstairs)

Bye bye stimmy... and tax return... and car savings

What are you installing over the subfloor?

Every single nail pop has been speckled. First layer if compound is on the tape section I had to replace. A lot of sanding now. So. Much. Sanding. 😢

Every single nail pop has been speckled. First layer if compound is on the tape section I had to replace. A lot of sanding now. So. Much. Sanding. 😢
When I turned our bathroom at the old house into two bathrooms, finishing the drywall was one of the only things I hired out. No way I could have done it as well or as fast as those guys. It is really an art. I did the soffit I hid a duct in at our current house (covid and furlough, so I had plenty of time), and that was way more sanding than I wanted to do for such a small area.

When I turned our bathroom at the old house into two bathrooms, finishing the drywall was one of the only things I hired out. No way I could have done it as well or as fast as those guys. It is really an art. I did the soffit I hid a duct in at our current house (covid and furlough, so I had plenty of time), and that was way more sanding than I wanted to do for such a small area.
So. Much. Sanding.

Doc is gone this weekend and if the re-tape doesn’t go well, I’m hiring someone. :ROFLMAO:

So. Much. Sanding.

Doc is gone this weekend and if the re-tape doesn’t go well, I’m hiring someone. :ROFLMAO:

What are you doing to manage the dust?

What are you doing to manage the dust?
Vacuum setup, one of those handheld sanders hooked to the shop vac, it actually contains like 90% of the dust, I’m really impressed.

Back