The Home Renovation Thread

Vacuum setup, one of those handheld sanders hooked to the shop vac, it actually contains like 90% of the dust, I’m really impressed.

Excellent selection! Saves a boatload of cleanup!

Eventually hardwoods to match the rest of the house.

OK. If you were going ceramic, I was going to refer you to a floor deflection/stiffness calculator. When I installed ceramic tiles, I had to reinforce my joists.

We are in the final legs of this project. Paint gets finished today and then screens and doors go up and kitchen gets put back.

69342185-E9A7-49E3-8F3B-34EF48EE1C63.jpeg

I love seeing what everyone is doing. You all are awesome. That said I am so glad we bought our house after the last owners did 7 years of remodeling. They fixed it to live in forever then had to move unexpectedly. We won't have to do anything except repairs and painting.

The one thing I have learned, but it never fails, is home projects do wonders for your marriage. 😂

You want an argument just start a home project.

Me: “whatever you want honey”
wife: “what do you think”

back and forth until

Me: ”I like it this way”
Wife: “nope do it this way”

#can’twin 🤦‍♂️

The one thing I have learned, but it never fails, is home projects do wonders for your marriage. 😂

back and forth until

#can’twin 🤦‍♂️

Here's how this goes. We want you to be happy so we want your opinion, we just really want your opinion to be the same as ours because we already know how we want it, we just need you to agree with it. Makes sense? :ROFLMAO:

I think we’ve decided - the next project will be to have the lawn in the back yard torn out, top soil and sod brought in. The quote was clearly inside the number which makes it a no brainer to pay instead of do it myself so now it’s just a matter of waiting for it to get warm enough for the grass to thrive.

Last edited:

back and forth until

#can’twin 🤦‍♂️

I've always said that the best way to test the long-term prospects for a coupe is to require them to wallpaper a room together.

I always tell my wife she is a "natural born supervisor." I also tell her we couldn't afford to hire a contractor if she got into natural born supervisor mode.

I think we’ve decided - the next project will be to have the lawn in the back yard torn out, top soil and sod brought in. The quote was clearly inside the number which makes it a no brained to pay instead of do it myself so now it’s just a matter of waiting for it to get warm enough for the grass to thrive.

One thing that has been a huge adjustment here is the lack of responsiveness from Lawn/Landscape people. In Florida you could get someone to show up same day, get you a quote and start same day or next, and they were reliable. Here, it seems impossible to get a reliable lawn/landscape person. They say they will call back, or will come by, and then nothing ever happens. And if you are lucky weeks later they will just show up at your house unannounced or randomly call and say how's tomorrow sound for us to come by. I have never seen anything like it.

Here's how this goes. We want you to be happy so we want your opinion, we just really want your opinion to be the same as ours because we already know how we want it, we just need you to agree with it. Makes sense? :ROFLMAO:
One man’s opinion: if the lady of the house knows what she wants just say it. Don’t ask me what I want and don’t ask me to make a decision before saying what you want (and getting it). Let’s just cut to the chase.

One man’s opinion: if the lady of the house knows what she wants just say it. Don’t ask me what I want and don’t ask me to make a decision before saying what you want (and getting it). Let’s just cut to the chase.

You are over complicating it, just read our minds and know what we want, so everyone wants the same thing and everyone is happy, it's as easy as that. LOL!

I think we’ve decided - the next project will be to have the lawn in the back yard torn out, top soil and sod brought in. The quote was clearly inside the number which makes it a no brained to pay instead of do it myself so now it’s just a matter of waiting for it to get warm enough for the grass to thrive.

I am envious. I've done a few sections with sod and it looks spectacular and is more weed resistant than planting seed.

You are over complicating it, just read our minds and know what we want, so everyone wants the same thing and everyone is happy, it's as easy as that. LOL!
Ha ha ha. That’s awesome. You win the interweb for the day!

Going back to the end of November, we had our first week without remodel work (or travel to facilitate things like finishing wood floors). We needed the break! Still a bunch of little finish details, but the core changes are all in place. Things kick back into action next week but in a more moderated way. BTW, I initially intended to do about 50% of the work. That ended up about 15%, which given typical remodel challenges revealed along the way was necessary.

The ladies of the world are going to get very upset with you giving out the secrets

Someone is overcomplicating it.:D:D:D

So let me try to get this straight:

Every man knows "You're not going to wear that, are you?" is not a question.

So in home projects, "What do you think?" is not a question, either?

The way guys think, the first "question" involves five, maybe ten minutes of extra time, depending upon how many changes of outfit are required.

The "second" question can involve many hours of time and potential expense if the "answer" is incorrect. Both of which are of course much, much less painful than the shame of having disappointed our best friend.

Someone is overcomplicating it.:D:D:D

So let me try to get this straight:

Every man knows "You're not going to wear that, are you?" is not a question.

So in home projects, "What do you think?" is not a question, either?

The way guys think, the first "question" involves five, maybe ten minutes of extra time, depending upon how many changes of outfit are required.

The "second" question can involve many hours of time and potential expense if the "answer" is incorrect. Both of which are of course much, much less painful than the shame of having disappointed our best friend.

I'm telling trade secrets here BUT, a lot of times our happiness comes from your happiness, so we NEED you to like what we like so everyone is happy.

Chick Norris - saving marriages, one forum member at a time. You're welcome. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Screens don’t go in until next week, but we are setting up today.

5DD1998E-A6B9-4562-8118-4976903C714F.jpeg

Screens don’t go in until next week, but we are setting up today.

View attachment 8998836
Opened up this post and my wifej just happened by and started looking over my shoulder wondering what I was doing (more, wondering why I'm not outside digging in her planned vegetable garden) and she says..... OMG I love that table, its a 'fire table' isn't it.... I want one just like it.... there goes my new driver money :mad::mad::p

Thanks JB! :oops:

EDIT: I'm going outside to dig up the garden :confused:

Opened up this post and my wifej just happened by and started looking over my shoulder wondering what I was doing (more, wondering why I'm not outside digging in her planned vegetable garden) and she says..... OMG I love that table, its a 'fire table' isn't it.... I want one just like it.... there goes my new driver money :mad::mad::p

Thanks JB! :oops:

EDIT: I'm going outside to dig up the garden :confused:

Yes sir it is. We needed heaters out there and it was one of the more economical ways of doing it.

Shower almost done and starting the painting.

Ceiling is always a bleep at least no taping

C2E2467F-B338-4307-8196-193F40AE7049.jpeg
6A1CE923-993A-46E0-8148-ED7D0554FB5D.jpeg

Door and molding outside. And the separation for wife and I is good 😉

4FD881FA-3D85-43AD-ABD8-15ACF00908C5.jpeg

One thing that has been a huge adjustment here is the lack of responsiveness from Lawn/Landscape people. In Florida you could get someone to show up same day, get you a quote and start same day or next, and they were reliable. Here, it seems impossible to get a reliable lawn/landscape person. They say they will call back, or will come by, and then nothing ever happens. And if you are lucky weeks later they will just show up at your house unannounced or randomly call and say how's tomorrow sound for us to come by. I have never seen anything like it.
Welcome to this part of the country Morgan! :ROFLMAO:

Also, f**k sanding walls and ceilings. More affirmation that the inventor of popcorn ceilings should have been shot on the spot.

Vaccum setup is great for a first hit, but, the screens just don’t sand as smooth, so it’s a both kinda project on the ceiling now.

Back