The Home Renovation Thread

My wife has started to talk about an addition on our house. I'd rather just move because I know I'll end up doing most of the work myself. Potential positives is building in a golf sim somewhere.

But I just can't see doing anything while material costs are so insane.

My wife has started to talk about an addition on our house. I'd rather just move because I know I'll end up doing most of the work myself. Potential positives is building in a golf sim somewhere.

But I just can't see doing anything while material costs are so insane.

We are also considering a major kitchen redo (the cabinets are 43 years old), relocating the laundry form the basement, and adding on a small room,. Good news is the material costs aren't as depressing right now because contractors are at least a year out around here.

I've just heard horror stories about the mess.

As some who used to do this for a living...dust everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE.

that's what I thought as well, but it's usually all about the quality of the wood you're refinishing, and weirdly enough, the older the better haha

I've just heard horror stories about the mess.
The mess isn't too bad. Definitely need to do a deep clean afterwards, but our guys did a pretty good job tarping everything off to keep the dust down.

Consider that wood material prices have doubled to tripled recently. Depending on when you're looking to get the job done, new floors could severely drive the price up.

We had our floors refinished at our old house, to change the color a bit and to get them less slippery for the baby. It was fantastic.

Good thing I got a look at the type of lock the sliding door uses before I dropped it down inside the door itself...

The mess isn't too bad. Definitely need to do a deep clean afterwards, but our guys did a pretty good job tarping everything off to keep the dust down.

Consider that wood material prices have doubled to tripled recently. Depending on when you're looking to get the job done, new floors could severely drive the price up.

We had our floors refinished at our old house, to change the color a bit and to get them less slippery for the baby. It was fantastic.
Yeah, I've read a lot about lumber being crazy expensive right now, which is why the price gap being so small between the two shocked me.

Flipped the entry frame around so it swings out now. Decided instead of replacing doors with new just to paint all the ones downstairs since we got gym equipment. Still doesn't equal out though 🥺

Wait for paint to dry and then will caulk and put final coat on frames. Slow progress watching paint dry.
20210402_121547.jpg

The floors are done. 4 months and 3 days. But they are done and they look fabulous. I’ll be happy to never speak with a flooring contractor again in this lifetime. I may sleep on the upstairs hallway floors to celebrate

Well its been a long day, We emptied the kitchen of the Kitchen Table, The Island, moved the refer, then pulled all the cabinet doors. We are pointing the ceiling and all the cabinets along with the trim and pantry doors too. I have painting stations set up in the garage and kitchen floor and we will sand and paint it all this week. I will post before and after pics the n we are done this week.

yeah, I figured as much. I've helped put down wood floors about 20 years ago, but never remember using anything other than straight hardwood.
A couple of years ago I pulled up the carpet in the Master and put down Bamboo floors. Ordered form Cali Bamboo and had it shipped straight to the house. Opened it all and let it breath for a few days. pulled the carpet, and then on a friday Sat and Sunday i put it down and did all the trim work. The bestest half was my helper and a great one at that. We were done my Sunday evening.

Attachments

• IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7291.jpeg
    IMG_7291.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7288.jpeg
    IMG_7288.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 15
I think we're at just under 700 square feet of hardwood and got quoted for about 5,800 for the refinish. Looks like it's about 3,500 or so difference between the two.

Our current hardwood isn't anything special.. probably builder grade narrow board.
We've got another company coming out this coming week to give us a number as well.

Now to go do research on engineered vs solid hardwood.
Wow. That's kind of high for a refinish. It's about $3 to $3.50 a sq ft to refinish around here.

I freaking hate the big box stores. Going on 1.5 weeks of waiting for my shiplap. :(

I freaking hate the big box stores. Going on 1.5 weeks of waiting for my shiplap. :(

Not defending the big box stores, but the entire building materials supply chain is flat on its back right now and has been for at least a year now.

Not defending the big box stores, but the entire building materials supply chain is flat on its back right now and has been for at least a year now.
It's insane right now. I talk to lumber yards every day and every single person is frustrated. Guys that have been in the industry for 30+ years have never seen anything like it.

We sell a Shiplap product and availability of that has been pretty good so far. I'm sure it all depends what brand though. The price has gone up pretty significantly over the last few months though.

It's insane right now. I talk to lumber yards every day and every single person is frustrated. Guys that have been in the industry for 30+ years have never seen anything like it.

We sell a Shiplap product and availability of that has been pretty good so far. I'm sure it all depends what brand though. The price has gone up pretty significantly over the last few months though.
Oh they’ve got it. Their delivery is just a train wreck.

Reactions: KEV
This is a delivery issue and the stupidity of their drivers.

New LED wall pack light on my garage is really looking good! Dang that thing is bright :D20210405_220712.jpg

The wife decided she hates our dining area.... the one downfall of owning a home without a separate dining room.

Looks like I am piecing together a banquette out of hacked ikea pieces... wish me luck.

The wife decided she hates our dining area.... the one downfall of owning a home without a separate dining room.

Looks like I am piecing together a banquette out of hacked ikea pieces... wish me luck.
Good Luck

A couple of years ago I pulled up the carpet in the Master and put down Bamboo floors. Ordered form Cali Bamboo and had it shipped straight to the house. Opened it all and let it breath for a few days. pulled the carpet, and then on a friday Sat and Sunday i put it down and did all the trim work. The bestest half was my helper and a great one at that. We were done my Sunday evening.

Looks awesome - why was bamboo the choice?

My parents are visiting for another week so I've had my dad doing projects around the house. He removed our garden so we have a good spot for the swing set we are building. We located the valves for our irrigation system and I'll be working to get that connected to the water. The house flipper disconnected the main line for some reason. He also used a recirculating range hood which has been a pain with the open plan we have. So we finally cut the ceiling open and snaked in rigid ductwork around and over the plumbing. Had to go round to oval back to round and out the wall. Going to make the upstairs much less smelly when we cook.20210405_212302.jpg
20210405_212300.jpg

Looks awesome - why was bamboo the choice?
Sustainability....Bamboo can be used for flooring, extremely hard and durable and it takes minutes for more versus the time it takes for trees to regrow. WE have 3 dogs and they durability of the flooring is far greater than the Engineered hardwoods we have in other places in the home when it was built.

here is a small peek of the kitchen we took this week off to do.....63933673758__F055872A-448C-4431-8E11-62123DD6D5CA.jpeg

Back