The Home Renovation Thread

Thanks for the idea of covering options, @JB. I'm seeing costs in the $2.50-$6.00/sf range, but if I don't have to replace the floor, it might make sense. Have to figure out those options can manage the winter melt in the garage, but that may be doable as well.

Yeah, similar to what we saw, but it was closer to $3-$8 dependent on the material choices.
They will lay it all out during inspection and appraisal. I didnt like most of the cheaper coatings, which were just plain.

Yes, but we didnt have any major issues. Some minor cracking that they grind and seal, etc.
They level with in reason and then fill and then sand. Its quite a process. During estimate when they come out, they should go over every aspect of what can be leveled. My gut says typical pitting can be taken care of.

We got the price down a little bit, as we wanted a metallic dark blue flake, and that was a pretty expensive choice, but were right at $5 a square foot installed I believe. But we have an oversized 3 car garage, so its a lot of feet to cover.

Would I do it again? Im not sure. They make some great covers now for pennies on the dollar in comparison, but I do a lot of work in the garage and details our cars a lot as well. Plus the whole ROI thing down the road. So I probably would, but not sure.

This is why something like this will likely be a modification I make when we buy our house.

Currently, I am detailing outside, which as you know, is far less than ideal, especially if you are doing any ceramic coating, waxing/polishing as temperatures/wind / dust etc can all affect that.

While it seems like a decent-sized investment, it looks incredible.

This is why something like this will likely be a modification I make when we buy our house.

Currently, I am detailing outside, which as you know, is far less than ideal, especially if you are doing any ceramic coating, waxing/polishing as temperatures/wind / dust etc can all affect that.

While it seems like a decent-sized investment, it looks incredible.

Thank you. I think mats would work just as well too. The biggest key is lighting. I have dual tube bulbs in there and its still not great. Will be working on a change without a doubt. I waterless wash in there all of the time though and have a detailers seat on wheels to make it easier on my back and knees.

Thank you. I think mats would work just as well too. The biggest key is lighting. I have dual tube bulbs in there and its still not great. Will be working on a change without a doubt. I waterless wash in there all of the time though and have a detailers seat on wheels to make it easier on my back and knees.

Ya the detailers seat is something I am looking forward too haha.

Currently, our driveway in the rental is uneven and cracked, you cannot roll on anything on it so by the time I do both my truck and my wife's car, my back is FRIED

@JB how long has your floor been finished? Have you seen any hot tire spots? I've had mine done for about 4 years, and am starting to see a little lifting, but it is an older product.

@JB how long has your floor been finished? Have you seen any hot tire spots? I've had mine done for about 4 years, and am starting to see a little lifting, but it is an older product.

Not too long. Only 4 months I think. I asked them specifically about this, as I had seen it on some older floors and they said we wouldn't see any lifting. If we did they would come back and reseal, but they have never had to. Not sure I buy that, or that they would ever come back haha, but so far so good. One area we might be lucky is that due to the size of the garage, we never really park in the exact same spot, which might help.

Got our second quote for hardwood refinish today. 2,400 not including a possible added 450 for shoe molding.
We always double or triple down on refinishing costs. I'm not sure we've ever had someone come in at well under half what another group charges.

Based on this info, we'll probably refinish instead of replace (this place quoted about 9k for a fresh install). Time to learn more about dust!

Tagging @JB and @GolferGal since I know this is very much on your radar. We're at about 700 square feet of hardwood FYI

Got our second quote for hardwood refinish today. 2,400 not including a possible added 450 for shoe molding.
We always double or triple down on refinishing costs. I'm not sure we've ever had someone come in at well under half what another group charges.

Based on this info, we'll probably refinish instead of replace (this place quoted about 9k for a fresh install). Time to learn more about dust!

Tagging @JB and @GolferGal since I know this is very much on your radar. We're at about 700 square feet of hardwood FYI

We have a couple of other things to get done first, but its definitely something we are considered down the road.

Inside of the house completely repainted (except the ceilings), they just did finish up with the new flooring in the kitchen, back splash done in the kitchen and all new blinds and window curtains are hung. It looks good in here I will say, but no more projects for a while.

@Canadan At 3.42/sq ft starting thats not so bad, but then with the molding it goes to $4/sq ft. We got the same rates @ 3.75 STARTING.. but by going with my uncles friend who works for a large company, used all their equipment and materials, cash deal, we got it for 2.40/sq ft for sand, stain, and the Bona traffic sealant

There's gotta be guys out there who can give you some sort of better deal

Time to learn more about dust!

As I've already mentioned, it'll get everywhere, even if they use so called "dustless" machines.

Based on some ideas I’ve seen I decided to redo a closet that has a stupid slanted bottom because it’s above the stairs. I think it turned out pretty cool. Now I can watch the Masters haha

884102D6-5DDD-45DE-9026-D40C5A03E57F.jpeg
19232F9E-7240-47CF-99D9-B2AF216620BF.jpeg

Have to have the right tool for the job. Even if you only use it once :LOL:
Here's what I've heard about power tools... if you use it once, rent it. If you use it twice or more, buy it.

My take on it is I'll probably use it a second time so I'm buying it.

If you're looking at power tools, I recommend Milwaukee M18 Fuel. There are a LOT of tools that use it... and once you have a couple or few batteries, just buy the tool only.

New equipment finally arrived and craig's listed some mirrors. Moved our other equipment in and now have no excuses!
20210409_170828.jpg20210409_165416.jpg20210409_165515.jpg
Doors can wait to be painted when I do the rest. I feel the theraguns will come in handy!

I went with the M
Here's what I've heard about power tools... if you use it once, rent it. If you use it twice or more, buy it.

My take on it is I'll probably use it a second time so I'm buying it.

If you're looking at power tools, I recommend Milwaukee M18 Fuel. There are a LOT of tools that use it... and once you have a couple or few batteries, just buy the tool only.
I went with the M12 Fuel because they’re lighter and I got a great deal on a set. I know the M18s are more powerful but the M12s punch well above their weight.

Last edited:
Based on some ideas I’ve seen I decided to redo a closet that has a stupid slanted bottom because it’s above the stairs. I think it turned out pretty cool. Now I can watch the Masters haha

View attachment 9002261
View attachment 9002262
That looks great! I am surprised that you didn't put a drawer or doors on the lower part, storage is always at a premium here.

That looks great! I am surprised that you didn't put a drawer or doors on the lower part, storage is always at a premium here.
Actually I considered doing drawers but instead the top of the lower part opens and storage is underneath 😉

Not quite home renovation, but close enough. Built a swingset with my dad for the kids. It was a kit from Menards and you buy the lumber with it, cut, and assemble. We got this one because it was a reasonable size, available, and much more affordable than other options.
IMG_20210410_145604_669.jpg

Wrapped up the bathroom sink installed today with a tile backsplash. 20210411_140355.jpg

Here it is Sunday night and Let me say that I DID have the Bestest Project Manager and Carpenter's Helper there is. The Bestest half is a better painter than I am too. There were some late additions today that ran us a bit late, She decided that the brown on the wall was so awesome it went well in the arches too. And that i needed to go get new blinds to go in the windows. So that happened, then the request for lights over the top cabinets....We are ecstatic with the outcome ....and I have "Heard" there may be a new table in there soon but i took the pics without the furniture....Here is the finished product and yes, we still love each other....Always better when you do the work yourself. It took a week to do...IMG_1105.jpegIMG_1104.jpegIMG_1103.jpegIMG_1106.jpegIMG_1107.jpegIMG_1108.jpegIMG_1109.jpegIMG_1110.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks fabulous!

Here it is Sunday night and Let me say that I DID have the Bestest Project Manager and Carpenter's Helper there is. The Bestest half is a better painter than I am too. There were some late additions today that ran us a bit late, She decided that the brown on the wall was so awesome it went well in the arches too. And that i needed to go get new blinds to go in the windows. So that happened, then the request for lights over the top cabinets....We are ecstatic with the outcome ....and I have "Heard" there may be a new table in there soon but i took the pics without the furniture....Here is the finished product and yes, we still love each other....Always better when you do the work yourself. It took a week to do...View attachment 9002540View attachment 9002541View attachment 9002542View attachment 9002543View attachment 9002544View attachment 9002545View attachment 9002546View attachment 9002547
Really like the deep colors.

very nice

Back