The Home Renovation Thread

Putting this out there for anyone who needs it.

If you want to remove any old wallpaper/border, fill a spray bottle 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar, spray on the paper, wait 5 minutes and scrape off with a plastic scraper.

It'll take the paper and glue right off so you can paint without having to sand or anything else.
Thanks dude. I have a bunch of hideous wallpaper I am gonna need to remove at some point

In case anyone was wondering why my postjng has dropped significantly recently. Making progress slowly but surely. Elec, plumbing is done. Drywall is going up. New shower surround is delayed and won't be in for two more weeks. Can't finish all of the drywall and floor before shower is done. So much to do omg
20231119_183405.jpg

Drywall taping sucks!
20231126_140725.jpg

Oh and I needed a new hot water heating system also. $6K FML
20231127_202303.jpg

Finally signing with the builder tonight. Here we go...

Finally signing with the builder tonight. Here we go...
Signed last night. Start date set as 2/26, unless he finishes his project before us early (potential to start 1-2 weeks early). Starting the supplies and materials list as well. Can't believe we finally got to this step after 6-7 months.

Signed last night. Start date set as 2/26, unless he finishes his project before us early (potential to start 1-2 weeks early). Starting the supplies and materials list as well. Can't believe we finally got to this step after 6-7 months.
Congrats man. Looking forward to following along

Congrats man. Looking forward to following along
Thanks. Told the wife last night, get in and take pictures of everything this weekend and over the next few weeks we are packing the house up because it still has her late grandmother's stuff in it. I dread packing but it has to be done.

Thanks. Told the wife last night, get in and take pictures of everything this weekend and over the next few weeks we are packing the house up because it still has her late grandmother's stuff in it. I dread packing but it has to be done.
Packing is the worst. UNpacking just as bad. My world is so disorganized now I hate it.

Day 2 of the new roof….I’m hoping they can finish up today because the rains come starting tomorrow.

Day 2 of the new roof….I’m hoping they can finish up today because the rains come starting tomorrow.
No dice. On to day 3 it is. It’s gonna rain tomorrow…please nobody fall off the damn roof.

No dice. On to day 3 it is. It’s gonna rain tomorrow…please nobody fall off the damn roof.
Wishing you luck and that they finish Tomorrow!

They're slow. Around here they get a tear off and replacement done in a day.

They're slow. Around here they get a tear off and replacement done in a day.
I've watched every house around me get theirs replaced. Let's just say speed isn't the best option ;)

There were only a couple crews I thought did a decent job. None of them were the slammers.

I've watched every house around me get theirs replaced. Let's just say speed isn't the best option ;)

There were only a couple crews I thought did a decent job. None of them were the slammers.
A lot of Amish crews around here, they're like a swarm of locusts!

A lot of Amish crews around here, they're like a swarm of locusts!
I've watched them raise a barn before. Quite amazing!

A good roof crew can have both speed and quality. Unfortunately most of the time it's all about the speed.
Driving Fast And Furious GIF by HRejterzy

Down the road the homeowner gets to deal with the lack of quality.

I with ya, a good crew is a site to behold.

Slowly making progress...

This of course did not fit perfectly. Measurements were fine but there is like casting slag from the fiberglass manufacturing process that added like a half inch to the width of the unit and that was just enough to create fitment problems. Had to do a bunch of surgery to the studs with a sawzall as you can see but after hours of extra work it finally dropped in.
20231201_200849.jpg

Finished install and drywall hung. Another coat of mud and should be ready for paint. Ceiling and walls. Then floor
20231203_203835.jpg20231203_203821.jpg

Progress, progress, progress...ceiling and walls painted, floor installed. Toilet going in tonight, electrical finish then vanity, baseboard, finish trim, hardware 🙂
20231210_210859.jpg

bathroom jussssssssssttttt about finished....
20231214_211213.jpg
20231218_195311.jpg

Now on to the bedroom...
Paint, new baseboard covers, canless recessed lights are the best invention ever!
20231130_200034.jpg
20231206_220729.jpg
20231218_213219.jpg

The bathroom is now 99% done. Came out pretty good.

20231224_211804.jpg

Bedroom also 99% done...new paint, radiators, recessed lights. Need to replace old light fixture with a ceiling fan in the spring.

20231223_213523.jpg

On to the next several projects

Thanks man! 👊
you go from a single faucet to dual in the bathroom? That's something I want to do in ours. I don't have crazy room for a big vanity, but the one you have in here looks like it would probably work in mine.

you go from a single faucet to dual in the bathroom? That's something I want to do in ours. I don't have crazy room for a big vanity, but the one you have in here looks like it would probably work in mine.
I did, yes. I didn't have a ton of room either so I went with 48". I knew I wanted a double sink. Piping in the tee and double drain and water was pretty straight forward. Pex is easy to work with.

20231108_183850.jpg20231121_195316.jpg

I did, yes. I didn't have a ton of room either so I went with 48". I knew I wanted a double sink. Piping in the tee and double drain and water was pretty straight forward. Pex is easy to work with.

View attachment 9232857View attachment 9232858
yeah 48 would work perfectly for me, 60 could possibly depending on the setup. Also, I like your supervisor in the bottom right.

Back