The Home Renovation Thread

Every cabinet was like that, and they had the area all taped up too, but that stuff was everywhere. We had to open the sliding glass door to try and get some of the dust out.
Dang. At least you can do that...cant imagine doing that this time of year up here. It's cold....or really cold

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Been SUPER crazy busy, and my wife said “Let’s redo the kitchen...”
So we did....
Just basic stuff, but it is finally getting close.
New floor
Took down chandelier and ceiling fan, installed recessed lights
New paint
New cabinets
New appliances
New sink and hardware

16fb2b8075be8b6d266af256058ebc9e.jpg

e82dd16d692d38430856870f4d84b8b9.jpg

ed1f9818f51f3d23b3af41a90a28d0df.jpg

f1b829a38412e4aa02d9a85576c42241.jpg

When we built the countertop, we added an overhang to sit at barstools. We may not use the table much anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dust from the granite cutting.

0cd209e6e0055cdd88a0ca419f4604ef.jpg

2764bd65ea7bf416aedd56c74d5798c0.jpg

Did they use a vacuum to suck up the dust while cutting?

They had 2 shop vacs going, and they had the area completely sealed off, but that stuff is just that dusty, and it's such a fine dust, you really can't control it.

Ya it’s tough to contain. The make grinders now that have the vac built in to contain even more dust but unless you wet cut you can’t stop it all. Obviously wet cutting isn’t a great idea in a finished space though.

Ya it’s tough to contain. The make grinders now that have the vac built in to contain even more dust but unless you wet cut you can’t stop it all. Obviously wet cutting isn’t a great idea in a finished space though.

Yeah, that unfortunately wasn't an option. It's all done now, and everything is clean, but I will never forget that dust storm haha.

Shade in between the glass on the pool door? Does it work well?

Yes sir and it works really well actually.

Shade in between the glass on the pool door? Does it work well?

It works great! We were skeptical, but it really works well. Everything still needs to be framed out and painted, but that will happen when the house gets painted.

I was skeptical about them and picked a door without... now I wish I’d done with shade in the glass... my dog jumps in the shade when it’s down, hence we never put it down

in theory it should work that way. lol. However, once your doing it or having it done....you immediately start thinking, hmm....the vanity needs replaced and so will the mirror. Wait, now that doesnt match the lighting which also doesnt match the hardware. etc etc etc. Im glad the process is happening because it will look great afterwards but its just a big spiral.

We really need to do our master bathroom next and are fortunate wont have to replace the jet tub. But, our standing shower is too small and old. vanity needs another sink which mean a different vanity. lol. which means ne mirror / mirrors. flooring. it just keeps going and going and going. However, as long as it gets done how my wife wants it, thats really what matters. Cause once its done......oh wait, also have to do the basement, the laundry room, the backyard patio area.....nevermind. :banghead:

Yep. It's all connected. Like finding a loose thread on a sweater & pulling it to remove it & then it's unraveling...

...and you probably have the same look on your face lol!

The creep factor is real. Start small finish big hahaha. I live it day in and day out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah but you just write change orders and add to the bottom line

Yeah but you just write change orders and add to the bottom line

If only it were that easy

Love it when the county changes rules in Nov and it costs me $15K.

Love it when the county changes rules in Nov and it costs me $15K.

Sounds rough.

Sounds rough.

The good news is it’s less than $10k now but delaying everything 2 weeks. If we would have filed for the demo permit in November, we would not have had to abate the asbestos siding. They changed things in December so now we have to get it all abated and wait the mandatory 10 working days to do so. Of course no one knew about this change until now. The demo contractor is now held up on several projects due to this change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The creep factor is real. Start small finish big hahaha. I live it day in and day out

I know a little bit about this..Replaced the flooring in the 2 spare bedrooms and the floor in the golf room looked so bad afterwards, we decided to keep going. That has lead to us to build a new display wall for headcover collection and painting.

I want to say it is going to be the end after this, but I doubt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The good news is it’s less than $10k now but delaying everything 2 weeks. If we would have filed for the demo permit in November, we would not have had to abate the asbestos siding. They changed things in December so now we have to get it all abated and wait the mandatory 10 working days to do so. Of course no one knew about this change until now. The demo contractor is now held up on several projects due to this change.

Hmmm, does that mean the jurisdiction just rolled out a change without notification to the contractors? Or is this a case of the contractor disregarded to news that it was coming. Asbestos abatement is certainly nothing new across the country. Lead abatement as well.

Hmmm, does that mean the jurisdiction just rolled out a change without notification to the contractors? Or is this a case of the contractor disregarded to news that it was coming. Asbestos abatement is certainly nothing new across the country. Lead abatement as well.

Don’t know. Don’t care.

It’s only money

It has to be done regardless now so I don’t care who dropped the ball. It’s already been a big PITA. The story the health department gave me was that waivers were being taken advantage of in low income areas and creating potential hazards so it was addressed quickly by removing all waivers - decision made mid November and went into effect Dec 1. Now all demolition projects require asbestos surveys by licensed asbestos labs regardless of age and all friable and non friable asbestos that can become friable must be removed before demo permits are issued.

I don’t know why a homeowner could get a waiver previously but it was granted and asbestos could get hauled away with the normal waste.

Our scope creep involves full replacement of our carpets after the bathrooms are done. Luckily it is only 3 rooms,a hall and stairs, so it won't bite into the diy savings too much.

Back