The Home Renovation Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I am almost officially done with my first remodel project in our house. We bought it last August, but the baby sort of made it tough to get things done.

List of things we did.
- Removed wall paper on upper-half of walls, repaired and painted them white.
- Chiseled off 1950's wall tile on the lower-half, repaired (a bunch), and painted them tan.
- Installed chair rail on the walls.
- Replaced towel bars and toilet paper holder.
- Tore out doors that were on a shelving unit. Made it pretty and put glass on them.
- Replaced the vanity, which involved the plumbing being moved about a foot to the left.
- Replaced the vanity mirror
- Moved junction boxes, rewired, and installed new vanity lights.
- Replaced toilet.
- Floors will be done next week.

It looks freaking awesome! Last thing to do will be the shower and not sure if we are going to have the existing tile sprayed a new color or if we will tear it up and put in a surround. Erica is one happy camper (and I'm just glad it's winding down).

I am almost officially done with my first remodel project in our house. We bought it last August, but the baby sort of made it tough to get things done.

List of things we did.
- Chiseled off 1950's wall tile on the lower-half, repaired (a bunch), and painted them tan.
- Tore out doors that were on a shelving unit. Made it pretty and put glass on them.
- Replaced the vanity, which involved the plumbing being moved about a foot to the left.
- Replaced toilet.

It looks freaking awesome! Last thing to do will be the shower and not sure if we are going to have the existing tile sprayed a new color or if we will tear it up and put in a surround. Erica is one happy camper (and I'm just glad it's winding down).

Wow that sounds like quite the project. Did you do all the work yourself? JB and I would be hopeless if we tried to do a home renovation. I admire peope who can do this on their own, I wish I knew how and had the patience because I bet the reward it amazing.

• Staff
I did everything except for the plumbing and re-wiring. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to do either and wanted it done right. Plus, I didn't want to get shocked or start a fire. It took a lot of patience and time, but it looks like something you'd see in a new house. Now I have to start preparing for Erica's next big idea. She's always got something on her mind.

I did everything except for the plumbing and re-wiring. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to do either and wanted it done right. Plus, I didn't want to get shocked or start a fire. It took a lot of patience and time, but it looks like something you'd see in a new house. Now I have to start preparing for Erica's next big idea. She's always got something on her mind.

That is so awesome you should be so proud and now you can take such pride in your home because you did the work. I think that is so great!

List of things we did.
- Replaced toilet.

awesome stuff hawk. i feel your pain buddy. when erin was about 6 months preggers i got this job in asheville so i had three months to completely renovate, start new job, and deal with pregnant woman.

impressive list you got there, here's mine:

Exterior:

-remove asbestos siding and shingles from roof
-instal new doors and windows
-retrim and reside house
-shingle roof and instal ridge vents
-remortar and paint chimney
-built a deck (27 feet wide, 12 feet deep)
-run a new water line from meter to house (went from 1/4 line to 1/2 to increase water pressure)
-installed on demand hot water heater

Interior:

-gut kitchen and bathroom
-built cabinets, pickle and finish and instal
-tiled counter top and backsplash
-install tongue and groove ceilings in kitchen and bathroom
-tiled shower and install all fixtures (i do my own plumbing)
-layed hardwood floors in entire house
-install quarter round
-repaint everywhere
-put 1 X 8 shiplap up in bathroom (prime then paint)
-build shelving for all three closests in the house

it was by far the most stressful time in my life. erin was living in our house back home, i was living in one of her relatives basement, learning new job, getting over to the house around 6pm and working til about 3 or 4 in the morning, all day, every day til it was done. i was so happy to be able to bring foster home there when he was born though.

• Staff
That's awesome, TC! I wish we had more time before we moved in, but our move in day was 8/5 and hawk jr was born 8/20. We were shacking up in an efficiency apartment and had to get somewhere with some room. Wanna spend a month in IL next year? I need to do many of the things that you did, but it's going to be a challenge to get them done any time soon.

Right now my other project has been the yard. We are having a huge tree and a 30x15 patio taken out and then I've been landscaping everything. I want to build a deck, but I'm thinking next year on that. Who would have thought digging out shrubs would suck so bad? There's more underground than above, lol.

That's awesome, TC! I wish we had more time before we moved in, but our move in day was 8/5 and hawk jr was born 8/20. We were shacking up in an efficiency apartment and had to get somewhere with some room. Wanna spend a month in IL next year? I need to do many of the things that you did, but it's going to be a challenge to get them done any time soon.

Right now my other project has been the yard. We are having a huge tree and a 30x15 patio taken out and then I've been landscaping everything. I want to build a deck, but I'm thinking next year on that. Who would have thought digging out shrubs would suck so bad? There's more underground than above, lol.

man, i would love to be able to come up and help you do some work. i think after the outing i'm going to go up to OEM kevin HQ and help him put in some new doors.

i use to work for this company, check out their gallery and you can see some of the houses we built:

http://www.brightwaterconstruction.com/

the best part was that there was only 3 of us who did all the work. we'd have the foundations poured, then we'd come in and get going from the sill plates up! it was an awesome experience and i'd still be doing it but the economy had it's way with the amount of work we had lined up.

• Staff
Oooh, OEM HQ! I might be asking you for some advice, that's for sure! Yea, homebuilding definitely took a huge hit. The pics on that site are something else!

Oooh, OEM HQ! I might be asking you for some advice, that's for sure! Yea, homebuilding definitely took a huge hit. The pics on that site are something else!

thanks man! i loved doing finish work more than anything. i also did a lot of the tile work. i have tons of tools too man. i will say this, jobs are much easier to manage and complete when you have the necessary and right tools. it's funny, i use to belong to a forum about tools, it's funny some of the parallels between personalities there and here. a lot of the younger crowd liked makita and hitachi, whereas the older guys like dewault, bosch, milwaukee and such. imo, there are no better products than what makita and hitachi makes. it's costly but it's so much better. i have a 12'', compound, double beveling, reciprocating saw that makes any sort of cutting so much easier.....

That's an issue that I have. I don't have a ton of tools and either have to buy, borrow or rent them as needed. I just never really had a need for them when I was younger.

You can never have too many tools. Buy good ones, they will save you money. Rental tools are always messed up. I love remodel projects.

List of things we did.
- Replaced toilet.

oh man... i started renovating the day we moved here and am still working on stuff constantly... that was 4 years ago lolz

I've come to realize that it may never end.

It is fun to do projects, but right now it's kind of difficult. As the baby gets a bit older, I think it will get easier. One of us always has to watch him since he likes to eat everything. He just wants to help (and eat) lol.

i actually love doing everything myself as long as its not "i have to fix it right away cuz its broke broke"
i did the flooring/ hard wood
the ceiling texturing/ thick swirls
kitchen plumbing/ sink fixtures disposal drainage
back yard landscaping/ gardening
bathroom makeover/ new tiles sink tub etc
rewired electrical/ whole house
installed ac
converted garage into man cave
redid entire siding/ removed vinyl and put woodish looking stuff
i know im missing alot more but its a work in progress

next big project might be deck/putting green/ bbq pit/ party palace complete with stripper... oops i mean exotic dancer pole

We should move all of this into a thread about house renovations. I've got things to add to this and I bet a lot of people have their own stories.
I think I will!

With Hawk's blessing, I moved this part of the Banter thread into its own thread.

I need to get our list together from 2007! AND, we just did more last week. Today even!

One thing that has made our projects interesting is that the Chief Inspector for our city lives three houses away. Not that we are doing anything against code, but our city makes you get a permit for everything. Literally, they want a permit if you change the faucet in the kitchen sink. It costs something like 30.00! Lol, we had the plumber come in his personal truck and park in the garage.

It is fun to do projects, but right now it's kind of difficult. As the baby gets a bit older, I think it will get easier. One of us always has to watch him since he likes to eat everything. He just wants to help (and eat) lol.

hahaha, lmao, no way it gets easier.

thanks man! i loved doing finish work more than anything. i also did a lot of the tile work. i have tons of tools too man. i will say this, jobs are much easier to manage and complete when you have the necessary and right tools. it's funny, i use to belong to a forum about tools, it's funny some of the parallels between personalities there and here. a lot of the younger crowd liked makita and hitachi, whereas the older guys like dewault, bosch, milwaukee and such. imo, there are no better products than what makita and hitachi makes. it's costly but it's so much better. i have a 12'', compound, double beveling, reciprocating saw that makes any sort of cutting so much easier.....

well, if you love it so much then come finish my closet hehehe

well, if you love it so much then come finish my closet hehehe

i know dude, my bad. i need to knock that out. we'll just have to plan a day, after the outing of course.

So, I will post some pics after my floor is done. Anybody else have some reno eye-candy to share?

So, I will post some pics after my floor is done. Anybody else have some reno eye-candy to share?

what you wanna see hawk? i'll snap a few pics of my stuff.

Whatever you are proud of, bud. This a thread to show off your projects. Btw, good idea by Smallville moving this over.

Back