The Home Renovation Thread

Good luck! It's a long stressful time, but should be worth it! Is this an addition or a total demolition & rebuild?

Contractor started on our deck last week. Weather has been brutal in this area so it’s a slow go. The larger section will have exposed hand hewn beams and rafters with tongue and groove roof sheeting. The smaller area will have a stick built roof with the same tongue and groove material covering it.
50dc1a7e316a139ed8d89c6752aca7e0.jpg
2c75ac8b2aa4c855a5663a02844997f5.jpg
1e2b1838b3ef351dc6393986c6b8ce67.jpg

Looks good. What kind of decking is that?

Do you own the place next door as a rental, or was it just dumb luck and perfect timing that it was available when you needed it?

Dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more water and sewer. Neither has seen the light of day in 101 years.
fe649ed71db4dc0529eacabcce03ac1b.jpg

74602cc16dea2b31549d9e43ffdacac1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New front door went in today

2097eb07c687cbbea891c7113984c0ae.jpg

New pool area side door by guest room went in too

d1d8656c9893c701ad52d69210a7aea9.jpg

Looks great JB

New front door went in today

2097eb07c687cbbea891c7113984c0ae.jpg

New pool area side door by guest room went in too

d1d8656c9893c701ad52d69210a7aea9.jpg
Liking the changes although didn't see them during the day....what I see looks great!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

The Home Renovation Thread

Thanks. The guest bath near my office is getting finished today hopefully.

Not home renovation but a rendering of the building I'm currently working on. its and 80,000 square foot 3 story apartment building with a structural steel 'libk' in between. It will also have one level of underground parking under one of the buildings. Street-View-FINAL-SM.jpg

Dry bar is almost complete

82274f864755f0e084224d734a740f54.jpg

What kind of top is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What kind of top is that?

Granite. We went to originally go plain, since its a stop that is not used, and I fell in love with this remnant piece that is super exotic looking.
Next thing you know, finding backsplash to match it and everything else...haha.

hey.....let change the linoleum in the 1/4 bath. Ok....sounds great. New linoleum = sub floor..tile....new vanity(replacing pedestal sink)....mirror.....cabinet....new floor molding....new lighting....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i just want new flooring. Yet, thats not how this works Paul. Thats not how any of this works.

hey.....let change the linoleum in the 1/4 bath. Ok....sounds great. New linoleum = sub floor..tile....new vanity(replacing pedestal sink)....mirror.....cabinet....new floor molding....new lighting....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i just want new flooring. Yet, thats not how this works Paul. Thats not how any of this works.

That sounds like us. We just wanted a new tub in the guest bath, next thing you know the bathroom is down to the studs and everything is being replaced....oops!

The creep factor is real. Start small finish big hahaha. I live it day in and day out

The creep factor is real. Start small finish big hahaha. I live it day in and day out

Our contractor is loving it, we are keeping him very busy. Living through it is not easy though. I had a tub in my family room for a week, I have a vanity in my dining room and a toilet on my back patio. Also, construction is DUSTY!

That sounds like us. We just wanted a new tub in the guest bath, next thing you know the bathroom is own to the studs and everything is being replaced....oops!

in theory it should work that way. lol. However, once your doing it or having it done....you immediately start thinking, hmm....the vanity needs replaced and so will the mirror. Wait, now that doesnt match the lighting which also doesnt match the hardware. etc etc etc. Im glad the process is happening because it will look great afterwards but its just a big spiral.

We really need to do our master bathroom next and are fortunate wont have to replace the jet tub. But, our standing shower is too small and old. vanity needs another sink which mean a different vanity. lol. which means ne mirror / mirrors. flooring. it just keeps going and going and going. However, as long as it gets done how my wife wants it, thats really what matters. Cause once its done......oh wait, also have to do the basement, the laundry room, the backyard patio area.....nevermind. :banghead:

Our contractor is loving it, we are keeping him very busy. Living through it is not easy though. I had a tub in my family room for a week, I have a vanity in my dining room and a toilet on my back patio. Also, construction is DUSTY!

Hahahaha staging areas! Dust is a real problem. I’m just going to assume the contractors didn’t use zip wall to isolate the mess. Hopefully you guys shut off the air handler. Because that’s dust super highway to the rest of the house?

in theory it should work that way. lol. However, once your doing it or having it done....you immediately start thinking, hmm....the vanity needs replaced and so will the mirror. Wait, now that doesnt match the lighting which also doesnt match the hardware. etc etc etc. Im glad the process is happening because it will look great afterwards but its just a big spiral.

We really need to do our master bathroom next and are fortunate wont have to replace the jet tub. But, our standing shower is too small and old. vanity needs another sink which mean a different vanity. lol. which means ne mirror / mirrors. flooring. it just keeps going and going and going. However, as long as it gets done how my wife wants it, thats really what matters. Cause once its done......oh wait, also have to do the basement, the laundry room, the backyard patio area.....nevermind. :banghead:

The struggle is real, I get it. My plan for this year was just to add shutters and paint the house. Now 2 of the 3 bathrooms are being gutted, the dry bar is being redone, new front door, all new flooring, popcorn ceiling removed and whole house painted. Of course, now all I can think about it knocking down a wall and opening up the kitchen, and turning the breakfast nook into a massive walk-in panty, and of course completely redoing the fire place...oh and the master bath needs to be completed gutted too.

Yup, I know exactly what you are going through. I keep reminding myself it's a marathon not a sprint. That and every penny we saved up is basically gone already, good grief this is expensive.

Hahahaha staging areas! Dust is a real problem. I’m just going to assume the contractors didn’t use zip wall to isolate the mess. Hopefully you guys shut off the air handler. Because that’s dust super highway to the rest of the house?

He did the best he could to isolate the mess, but popcorn ceiling removal is impossible to completely contain, that stuff just gets everywhere!

We thought about turning off the air but it's 90 degrees here, so that wasn't happening. We even had to get a dehumidifier when it was all done because the humidity got up to 70% in the house due to all the moisture from wetting the ceiling for a cleaner removal.

Oh, and we had a part of the granite in our kitchen cut....in the kitchen, and that was the dustiest thing of them all, good lord that was messy. I had to remove everything from my cabinets and wash it.

The struggle is real, I get it. My plan for this year was just to add shutters and paint the house. Now 2 of the 3 bathrooms are being gutted, the dry bar is being redone, new front door, all new flooring, popcorn ceiling removed and whole house painted. Of course, now all I can think about it knocking down a wall and opening up the kitchen, and turning the breakfast nook into a massive walk-in panty, and of course completely redoing the fire place...oh and the master bath needs to be completed gutted too.

Yup, I know exactly what you are going through. I keep reminding myself it's a marathon not a sprint. That and every penny we saved up is basically gone already, good grief this is expensive.
Yup. The savings were for something I just didn't realize it was that. Lol

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back