The Home Renovation Thread

My FIL is coming down in November and said he would help do it so I have the means, just didn't know if materials would be substantially higher than a contractor. I am guessing the fence will be around 350 feet also.

Edit: now that I think about it, I am probably about half of that around 175ft.

Do you know what kind of fence you're doing? If so, map it out to scale and figure exactly what you'll need. Since I had to get the lumber delivered from Lowes, I ordered extra seeing as how I couldn't pick the best pieces from the pile myself and would have to take whatever they brought me, and would return the unusable pieces afterwards.

I just looked at a pick and its closer to 300 feet we did.

Do you know what kind of fence you're doing? If so, map it out to scale and figure exactly what you'll need. Since I had to get the lumber delivered from Lowes, I ordered extra seeing as how I couldn't pick the best pieces from the pile myself and would have to take whatever they brought me, and would return the unusable pieces afterwards.

I just looked at a pick and its closer to 300 feet we did.

I have to have it approved by the HOA, but there are 3 fences I see around the neighborhood the shadowbox, tall picket, and estate 2 slat with mesh wire. Those are the 3 I believe we are permitted to have and 6' max height.

Had landscaping in the backyard done this year, very happy with the outcome. Wasn’t cheap but it was done right.

Before:
ae1655456b27257f1b1cf295b0f2cd17.jpg

After (well almost after, I’ll get a better picture tonight, that’s missing the finishing touches):
cfc46f3586b67221f10f28d1accc99ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to have it approved by the HOA, but there are 3 fences I see around the neighborhood the shadowbox, tall picket, and estate 2 slat with mesh wire. Those are the 3 I believe we are permitted to have and 6' max height.
Eww, hate the HOA aspect. Luckily I live in the county and can do whatever I want.

Eww, hate the HOA aspect. Luckily I live in the county and can do whatever I want.
That's the point of an HOA Greg, to keep ruffians like you at bay.

That's the point of an HOA Greg, to keep ruffians like you at bay.
Luckily there was so little rain before this week, everyone else's plants and grass were dead. Greenest grass on the block right here. Well, up by the house where the sprinklers reach. The rest of stuff between the yard and the road was crunchy for a while there.

not exactly a full renovation/remodel but looks like we are shopping for a new fridge this weekend. Im tired of fixing the frigidaire unit Ive been dealing with for 8 years now. Hoping to find a good Samsung that will fit.

anyone who has done a kitchen renovation recently, shoot me a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not exactly a full renovation/remodel but looks like we are shopping for a new fridge this weekend. Im tired of fixing the frigidaire unit Ive been dealing with for 8 years now. Hoping to find a good Samsung that will fit.
Take it for what its worth, random .02, but service tech friends said stay away from Samsung appliances... One of the most serviced appliances

Whirlpool, Maytag, GE I think even he suggested

But no matter what brand, I highly recommend getting it from Costco is you have a membership. We got fridge washer and dryer, they each have 2 year warranties, then because we used family members Costco credit card it doubled to 4 years.. then we got extra warranty ($100 per item) so years 4-6 are thru square trade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Take it for what its worth, random .02, but service tech friends said stay away from Samsung appliances... One of the most serviced appliances

But no matter what brand, I highly recommend getting it from Costco is you have a membership. We got fridge washer and dryer, they each have 2 year warranties, then because we used family members Costco credit card it doubled to 4 years.. then we got extra warranty ($100 per item) so years 4-6 are thru square trade.

It's definitely a preference thing, because we have GE appliances now and hate them. Bought them brand new 2 years ago and have regretted that decision after less than a week of buying them. Had Samsung and LG before that with great success, but I have heard exactly what your friend has said, and I have heard getting the parts for those brands is a hassle, but as far as our personal experience they were far better products.

It's definitely a preference thing, because we have GE appliances now and hate them. Bought them brand new 2 years ago and have regretted that decision after less than a week of buying them. Had Samsung and LG before that with great success, but I have heard exactly what your friend has said, and I have heard getting the parts for those brands is a hassle, but as far as our personal experience they were far better products.
Oh absolutely it sometimes is luck of the draw. I was driving myself nuts researching washers and dryers, things I never use myself really haha just wanted to make sure they wouldn't break within 5 years, but that's what the warranty is for.. and with a budget and size restrictions in mind we didn't have many options

We have never had an issue with any Samsung appliance. In fact we’ve never had an issue with any appliance except for the 15 year old fisher and Pakel was her we inherited from the seller in 2005.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh absolutely it sometimes is luck of the draw. I was driving myself nuts researching washers and dryers, things I never use myself really haha just wanted to make sure they wouldn't break within 5 years, but that's what the warranty is for.. and with a budget and size restrictions in mind we didn't have many options

I totally agree. I think that's why a purchase should be based on features and price, and not worry about the other stuff because everyone will have a different story.

Kind of the same. In our old place we had Samsung everything range, fridge, dishwasher but had Bosch washer and dryer. The Bosch were just a disaster.

Bought our new place and they had higher end Whirlpool stuff and we love it, the washer and dryer we had to bring ourselves and it is some newer Samsung stuff and it's amazing.

Flip side friend of ours Samsung washer and dryer are a disaster, their LG dishwasher is iffy, but the LG fridge is amazing. It really is a crap shoot.

Redoing our downstairs half bath. Had a granite counter top installed and I just placed our vessel sink. Hope to finish the floor soon and get the shiplap up.
8d98fe8c1698f989be44949eef5ecd7e.jpg

Redoing our downstairs half bath. Had a granite counter top installed and I just placed our vessel sink. Hope to finish the floor soon and get the shiplap up.

It looks like a white peanut butter cup! nice

Samsung had some known issues with their refrigerator compressors a few years back, but Samsung made our Kenmore gas range and it has been excellent.

Our Bosch front loader washer was a complete disaster, but the LG we replaced it with has made my wife a raving fan. Our refrigerator is also an LG and it's our favorite of the four we've owned in 38 years. We got it deeply discounted online at us-appliance.com, but I've never been able to get as good of a deal when I shopped there for other appliances.

GE Appliance is now owned by the Chinese firm, Haier.

Our last three microwaves have been Panasonics, and the one in the middle was a lemon. The other two were/are superb.

Samsung had some known issues with their refrigerator compressors a few years back, but Samsung made our Kenmore gas range and it has been excellent.

Our Bosch front loader washer was a complete disaster, but the LG we replaced it with has made my wife a raving fan. Our refrigerator is also an LG and it's our favorite of the four we've owned in 38 years. We got it deeply discounted online at us-appliance.com, but I've never been able to get as good of a deal when I shopped there for other appliances.

GE Appliance is now owned by the Chinese firm, Haier.

Our last three microwaves have been Panasonics, and the one in the middle was a lemon. The other two were/are superb.

Our Bosch front loader was a disaster too

Did you ever find a good deal on that or just had to bite the bullet and pay $$$$ for it? Whoever installed the countertop made it look very clean.

Back