The Home Renovation Thread

Did you ever find a good deal on that or just had to bite the bullet and pay $$$$ for it? Whoever installed the countertop made it look very clean.
I found a great deal from a local granite company. They had remnants, and installed it was under $100. I tipped those guys well because they came on a Saturday and had it installed in less than 45 minutes (even with having to cut into the drywall because there was a slight bow in the wall). We're going to use them for our kitchen counters as well because we were so impressed.

I found a great deal from a local granite company. They had remnants, and installed it was under $100. I tipped those guys well because they came on a Saturday and had it installed in less than 45 minutes (even with having to cut into the drywall because there was a slight bow in the wall). We're going to use them for our kitchen counters as well because we were so impressed.

Nice I am glad you finally found someone with a remnant.

Anyone ever have a deck installed, or pricing on it? Torn between wood and PVC (almost double the cost?)

Thinking 16*16

Thanks for any info!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Anyone ever have a deck installed, or pricing on it? Torn between wood and PVC (almost double the cost?)

Thinking 16*16

Thanks for any info!

I would caution, the PVC decking gets HOT in the sun. Like scorching hot.

I like the look/uniformity of the PVC. Burning my feet, and overall cost, has me choosing wood though.

I would caution, the PVC decking gets HOT in the sun. Like scorching hot.

I like the look/uniformity of the PVC. Burning my feet, and overall cost, has me choosing wood though.
I thought PVC was cooler than composite (hence why it's even more)?

I'm leaning towards wood too, particularly due to initial lower cost.. I can always stain it a year down the road (after moisture comes out) the guy said

Thinking 16*16

Thanks for any info!

Attached or free standing? How high off the ground?

Attached or free standing? How high off the ground?
So I believe he said free standing, it's about 20'" from ground to doorway exit

May do horizontal rails (not quite legal here but look better, shall see about that). I was contemplating a step down all the way around but likely 3/4 railed in and then 1 or 2 sets of steps

Been lazily gel staining all the cabinets in my master bath and kitchen these past few months (more like six or nine months haha).

Hit a snag a while back between being busy and having a top coat that was glossier than I wanted. Finally got a matte finish and am well on the way to getting the top half of the kitchen finished in the next few days. When it's all installed I'll share a picture.

Now to figure out whether replacing one of the hinges with slow close or just using dampers is the solution.

Tiki bar in progress, just have to put the spar-urethane on it tomorrow and get the thatching for the roof
cf6f6d2e6832a4d83746489569c58bbc.jpg

Kind of a home Reno thing

Well our plans have just been blown out of the water as we have had someone out from the planning office this morning and they have told Jen that our planning application will be refused as what we want to do takes it too close to the boundary with our neighbour
We live in a semi-detached house and if you were to look straight down from above, the 2 houses look like a U shape for want of a better description

What we had planned was extending across from our prong of the U towards the middle to open up the dining room and kitchen into a large open-plan kitchen-diner, but because of the size of the extension it is too close to the boundary to be allowed (shown by the shading in the pic below)

However.....we may have an alternative to get round this, but we need to speak to the planning office to clarify a couple of things first
2e4abba4f66295876c0887cba2c3f1f4.jpg

Having an internal fence built in the back from the house to the pond to keep kids and pets out of these and let them have an area to run free. The entire 10 acres is actually chain linked in, but the pond and creek runs through the middle of the property and that’s scary for us with littles.

Also have a quote out on replacing front doors (door and storm door) as well as the ancient and leaking air profusely back slinging door.

Slowly but surely.

Who knew landscapers were so damned expensive...

Who knew landscapers were so damned expensive...

Yup! And that's just to cut the grass. Ask them to do anything else, and expect to pay up. We have 12ft hedges around our backyard that need to be cut twice a year. That's about $350 each time. We needed our front flower beds re-mulched, that was over $500.

Yup! And that's just to cut the grass. Ask them to do anything else, and expect to pay up. We have 12ft hedges around our backyard that need to be cut twice a year. That's about $350 each time. We needed our front flower beds re-mulched, that was over $500.

I will just say the quotes I have to rip out the backyard artificial grass and artificial putting green, resod and build a raised bed or two have driven me to drinking...more

View attachment 40432

Its pronounced: enlarge.

The green is in fairly bad shape...rock hard and material similar to what you’d see at a putt putt course or an RV park lol...I’m sure they meant well, but it has to go. Wife said she was cool if I built a new one, but it is not an insignificant investment.

Besides...my new place sits on the 3rd fairway. Easy access to some greens lol

The green is in fairly bad shape...rock hard and material similar to what you’d see at a putt putt course or an RV Park l

I’ve seen it, that’s being unfair to putt putt courses! Lol

I’ve seen it, that’s being unfair to putt putt courses! Lol

Hahahaha yeah. I think I would redo it if we didn’t have the puppy. I would move the fire pit off to one side and make a larger green

Hahahaha yeah. I think I would redo it if we didn’t have the puppy. I would move the fire pit off to one side and make a larger green

just make a gate and fire some wedges at the green.

Getting a variety of quotes for deck and patio now.

Deck 1- 6k for 16x16 with railings
Deck 2- 3800 16x16 with no railings, 5300 with, 7600 for 16x32 (to include both back doors) no rails

Patio guy coming tomorrow and hoping for another to compare too.. hoping a 16*32 patio will be comparable to the smaller deck, then it's a no brainer

going to be a big cost either way

This may not be much for you guys that are actually handy but for this fat assed IT guy this is an accomplishment.

First, a little deck stripping
cb32032aaa81b719dc0b1f1c71d9d4c2.jpg

Then upon learning that numerous boards were rotted I rebuilt this bench on my own, no help

ddbf7ce29e84626e5b906619469cdc3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thinking 16*16

Thanks for any info!

The guy in the middle of stripping, restraining and replacing boards says the extra cost for PVC is worth it.

This may not be much for you guys that are actually handy but for this far assed IT guy this is an accomplishment.

Then upon learning that numerous boards were rotted I rebuilt this bench on my own, no help

Excellent work!

This may not be much for you guys that are actually handy but for this fat assed IT guy this is an accomplishment.

Nice job Frank!

Back