The Home Renovation Thread

Wife wants to tackle painting the bottom cabinets... can anyone offer any advice on what type of paint to use? Also, any certain type of roller/brush that has been used and liked?

We have used chalk paint redoing vanities, but I was not sure if that was the best bet for actual kitchen cabinets.

My daughter redid her kitchen cabinets in chalk paint, then redid them again in a semigloss - Ben Moore, IIRC.

Has anyone had success with peel and stick kitchen backsplash? A buddy of mine has a couple rental properties and was asking.

Preferably white subway tile or something along those lines.

My sister did her kitchen backsplash and wall in a peel and stick faux brick. It was foam and had a hard film surface to it. It was paintable, but she was fixing up her place to sell it, so she just left the white brick look. I thought it looked cheap in the box, but I have to tell you it looked really good once it got up on the wall. I helped her with some of the more complicated cuts and it was easier than wallpaper. The realtor featured it in the listing. It's not high end by any means, but probably something I could live with for a few years.

I finally found a project that I’ve decided not to take on. I need to evacuate and recharge my work shop mini split unit. I don’t have a recovery machine and decided against buying one so I’m going To leave this project to the pros. Boo!

I finally found a project that I’ve decided not to take on. I need to evacuate and recharge my work shop mini split unit. I don’t have a recovery machine and decided against buying one so I’m going To leave this project to the pros. Boo!

I remember my first "finally." It was installing a new boiler. As a get quite a bit older and a little smarter, I've realized that just because I can doesnt always mean I should.

No more green vanity! Back and side splash TBD, but happy to have a sink again. The green shower curtain is also gone in case inquiring minds were wondering.
0C0EBD7A-1B74-48E6-B8BF-A403C77A162D.jpeg39D6D0AC-9A76-448A-A8F1-58BE6C5808F0.jpeg

anyone have experience with having walls and drywall repaired? Insurance guy is coming Friday morning to inspect our damage (furnace blower pump stopped/clogged, pan overflowed to 2nd story ceiling)
20200803_184551.jpg

Just wondering based on simple visual what I should expect minimum repair to be, mostly to be sure the insurance doesn't try to screw me. They're supposedly very good, and even pay out way above, but having never had a major repair just wanting to be sure

Initially pipe had a crack that I sealed and it was dripping on kitchen cabinet, so it warped the top of it. Wife is hoping they'll change out the whole kitchen lol

They'll look for water damage everywhere, if they're good they replace everything the water came in contact with. The cost is dependent on their findings.

Garage floor sealed. Hired a service that refinished, sealed, then flaked and then clear coat.

it looks like glass now.
582F31A0-D07D-4A9B-BE0A-469E2F6F34A8.jpeg

No sir, Titans blue, but I would be lying if I said we never discussed it
Looks great! Now the painting begins?

B58973F2-9F24-4856-A348-FD0FDD848588.jpegMoved into a new house about 2 weeks ago. Twice the size, so needs updating and we need furniture LOL. So far, all I’ve done is start to remove the popcorn off the ceilings, and bought a 65” tv for what will be the nice living room (aka marks man cave/ cinema room lol). Bought the house of an elderly couple so carpets are severely gnarly. Floors start to get changed next week. Anyway, as it is now.....

Painted it a light blue to bring out the color in the brand new floor.
Now moving stuff back in today finally.
I bet that looks awesome with the floor! Always a good feeling to move everything back into a nice and finished room.

I’m about to empty our garage so I can sister a few beams and replace our pegboard. Nothing shiny or exciting, but needs to be done.

I bet that looks awesome with the floor! Always a good feeling to move everything back into a nice and finished room.

I’m about to empty our garage so I can sister a few beams and replace our pegboard. Nothing shiny or exciting, but needs to be done.

I will get some pics here soon.

Organization will get finished this weekend.

8AEA72ED-14A6-40BC-A94F-6434AA90CF29.jpeg

Woooo Getting about 5500 from insurance for the repairs.. got quoted 1500 from one handyman for total drywall fix and painting of entire hallway, stairs, and downstairs living room.. have to have a cabinet replaced then sand ahomeowners! (May do just the top trim that got messed up), and going to use some more for counter tops for the wife and a shed for me

Thanks HOI!

Woooo Getting about 5500 from insurance for the repairs.. got quoted 1500 from one handyman for total drywall fix and painting of entire hallway, stairs, and downstairs living room.. have to have a cabinet replaced then sand ahomeowners! (May do just the top trim that got messed up), and going to use some more for counter tops for the wife and a shed for me

Thanks HOI!

Good for you. FWIW, wiring my shed was one of the best things I ever did in a home improvement, scope-wise

Our extension is coming along, I got home last night to find half of the old kitchen ripped out ready for the wall to be taken down next week potentially

Part of the old patio doors have been removed so that a supporting wall can be built for the steel that needs to span the back of the old external wall to support the upper floor, we have another hole in the kitchen where another supporting wall is going up at the other side (which is closing off an area from the kitchen and being opened up at the hallway side as an additional downstairs W/C) and parts of the ceiling have been ripped out ready for fitting the steels

Outside, the foundations have been dug, with brickwork being almost halfway up to the height it will finally be, so the next big job will be take down the current external walls and support the upper floor until the steel work goes in, and then the rest of the brickwork can be finished and new roof can be installed with a velux window

Hopefully the weather will co-operate long enough until the building work can make it water-tight as we don't really want a big hole in the back of the house if the weather turns cold and wet

The builder we have got is great, to the point that one of his team asked Jen yesterday if we had a bucket and mop so that he could mop the kitchen floor after he had tidied up the rest of the mess they had made from pulling down the ceiling and digging up a corner of the floor

We are going to get new flooring downstairs. Home Depot tried to screw me (or was severely incompetent) on a carpet install so we paused and are now thinking hardwoods. They came out for measurements yesterday and told me they won’t nail into particle board subfloor so I guess we are now limited to floating floors. TBD what the details are for what we are doing, but somethings gotta happen.

Our extension is coming along, I got home last night to find half of the old kitchen ripped out ready for the wall to be taken down next week potentially

Part of the old patio doors have been removed so that a supporting wall can be built for the steel that needs to span the back of the old external wall to support the upper floor, we have another hole in the kitchen where another supporting wall is going up at the other side (which is closing off an area from the kitchen and being opened up at the hallway side as an additional downstairs W/C) and parts of the ceiling have been ripped out ready for fitting the steels

Outside, the foundations have been dug, with brickwork being almost halfway up to the height it will finally be, so the next big job will be take down the current external walls and support the upper floor until the steel work goes in, and then the rest of the brickwork can be finished and new roof can be installed with a velux window

Hopefully the weather will co-operate long enough until the building work can make it water-tight as we don't really want a big hole in the back of the house if the weather turns cold and wet

The builder we have got is great, to the point that one of his team asked Jen yesterday if we had a bucket and mop so that he could mop the kitchen floor after he had tidied up the rest of the mess they had made from pulling down the ceiling and digging up a corner of the floor
Sounds like a huge project! It’s always awesome when the dust finally settles and you get to reap the rewards.

We are going to get new flooring downstairs. Home Depot tried to screw me (or was severely incompetent) on a carpet install so we paused and are now thinking hardwoods. They came out for measurements yesterday and told me they won’t nail into particle board subfloor so I guess we are now limited to floating floors. TBD what the details are for what we are doing, but somethings gotta happen.
My process with Lowe’s was less than stellar for floating floors and carpet so I ended up DIYing vinyl plank floors and didn’t even consider hardwood. The floating floors are pretty diverse and we have pets so we went vinyl.

Back