The Home Renovation Thread

Sounds like a huge project! It’s always awesome when the dust finally settles and you get to reap the rewards.
In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big extension, we have a galley kitchen that extends out from the back of the dining room and we are effectively pushing the side of the kitchen wall out to the same width as the dining room and opening it all up into a kitchen/diner
Size wise, it is roughly 2m across to widen the kitchen, and extending out 3m from where the existing patio doors are

I will try to upload a pic from my phone

20200812_173833.jpg

Sounds like a huge project! It’s always awesome when the dust finally settles and you get to reap the rewards.
Pic added to previous post, but basically, the new brickwork is going up (this pic is from last week) the patio doors are coming out, and the wall to the left with the window is being pushed out to the right side

Where the patio doors are currently, that is the dining room, so it is all being opened up, and there is a pitched roof going on the new bit with a velux window to allow more light in

Hopefully this link will work, but it is a rough mock-up of how the new kitchen will look

https://my-kitchen.howdens.com/plan/KF654002466651QE

Image 1 shows the existing wall with the new units, although the wall to the left is actually going to be removed from the worktop up as it isn't needed as a support
Image 2 is the new bit with the dining room to the left
Image 3 is looking back towards the dining room from the new patio doors
Image 4 is looking from the dining room towards the new patio doors (although the wall at the far end of the worktop on the right will be gone)

My process with Lowe’s was less than stellar for floating floors and carpet so I ended up DIYing vinyl plank floors and didn’t even consider hardwood. The floating floors are pretty diverse and we have pets so we went vinyl.
I didn't type that well. We punted on Home Depot ... it was Lumber Liquidators who came out for the hardwood measurements.

Well, another project mostly done.. ran a little short on limewash paint but not a biggie

Before
FB_IMG_1598031199679.jpg

The nearly done after
20200821_133624.jpg

What a 'terrible' use of a perfect golf day

Close up of how the garage floor finished up. It almost looks wet at all times. Absolutely love it

AA99D5BF-E207-4DB9-B198-5ABB9DA77F30.jpeg

That looks gorgeous JB!

We have so much leftover paint our next projects are lined up.. first up, laundry room.

20200828_202719.jpg

New Light coming tomorrow.. thanks again hgtv grrt

3 weeks in to the new place, and it’s starting to come together. Bedrooms painted and recarpeted
AA4EDEE7-98BA-42A2-BDB6-280890D13A6E.jpeg
5AE308F3-F696-4024-B0C8-A4D7872F29D8.jpeg
Laminate starts going in downstairs and in the hallways next week. I should probably add 2 lightbulbs to the master bedroom light to my list of jobs to do LOL.

House is starting g to come together. 3 solid days of removing carpet and old hardwood to replace with laminate. Living room is painted. Shiplap (which I don’t particularly care for, but the wife loves) is going up in the family room. Stairs de-carpeted, banisters in the process of being painted.
Family room before
9E425248-88F1-45A3-B6EF-DAA79A10CB11.jpeg
After
0C96B067-4297-46A8-9B26-5656D7637931.jpeg
Living room before
0BC7EC7F-F7B9-4206-9984-434BACF84FA8.jpeg
After
B9027774-9FB7-4AF6-A007-1A50E393EE4E.jpeg
Stairs
880B504A-33BC-4B91-BAE9-9B56FBA53815.jpeg

Still living like hobos with stuff being moved room to room to accommodate the work. Waiting for the sectional to be delivered for the living room. TV and media storage to be delivered from Ikea once it’s back in stock, and the tv is ready to be mounted on the wall in the living room. The guys we have in doing the floors have done a superb job, real hard grafters. Hoping to have every thing done by thanksgiving (fingers crossed)

looks good @Mark_UK, did you put the new flooring down yourself?

looks good @Mark_UK, did you put the new flooring down yourself?
Ha ha, hell no. I did the floors in a house many years ago. I learnt then it was best left to someone that knows what they are doing.

Close up of how the garage floor finished up. It almost looks wet at all times. Absolutely love it

View attachment 8959513
Spectacular!!!

What is that clearcoat? Urethane? Epoxy?

Our garage concrete floor is badly spalled and chalky from years of road salt. Probably a remove and replace, but I am going to check with a few people who say they can repair floors that look like ours.

Spectacular!!!

What is that clearcoat? Urethane? Epoxy?

Our garage concrete floor is badly spalled and chalky from years of road salt. Probably a remove and replace, but I am going to check with a few people who say they can repair floors that look like ours.

Epoxy.
The service came in and really went to down for a 3 day period.

Backsplash is going in in the kitchen over the next couple of days and then it is finally complete.

Yaaayyy laundry room shelves

20200907_175633.jpg
20200907_175636.jpg

My wife right now

btw anyone got any input on countertop material? Quartz vs quartzite vs granite? Thats next if/when her lump unemployment check comes in from summer

btw anyone got any input on countertop material? Quartz vs quartzite vs granite? Thats next if/when her lump unemployment check comes in from summer

I think when we remodel our kitchen we will go with quartz over granite, although I am not familiar with quartzite. Granite's porosity is a negative for us.

Backsplash is going in in the kitchen over the next couple of days and then it is finally complete.

We are about to do our backsplash and cannot come to an agreement on what we want to do. Would love to see pics of your finished product of the backsplash.

We are about to do our backsplash and cannot come to an agreement on what we want to do. Would love to see pics of your finished product of the backsplash.

Still need to paint and clean up, but here you go, it's a gray glass subway tile. We are also changing all the outlets to gray to match the backsplash.

IMG_5873.jpeg

IMG_5874.jpeg

Reactions: J4U
oh that looks damn good

Back