The Home Renovation Thread

"I don't understand why you need six hammers."

"I don't understand why you need six pairs of black sandals."
Hahahahaha, the guys at the hardware stores are starting to recognize me :ROFLMAO:

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Love my wife, really do but my goodness she wants what she wants and there is no changing her mind. She told me she wanted to put wood flooring in a few rooms and I agreed. That was about 12 weeks ago and I asked her yesterday what’s going on. “Oh, it is being imported by Italy and should be here in the next week”. What, how the hell much is that costs us, “only about $20K”, oh is that all! She’s a gem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting there now. Need a rug just to inject some colour, bury the wires from the tv into the wall, change that lamp on the corner and get some cool art work on the wall and it’s pretty much done.
CDFC6F4D-9957-4DDF-9D22-792E7183C720.jpeg
632F03FC-9036-4AB4-9C69-C1C44C1E7BA7.jpeg

Wow, that looks great @Mark_UK! Now to just hide those cables in the walls..... :cool:

I spent 6 hours today prepping and grinding/sanding concrete blocks for just 25 minutes of laying down 3.5 gallons of paint with my airless sprayer. The 65-year-old garage floor is getting jackhammered out tomorrow and a new floor goes in. It will look like a new garage soon just in time for winter!

IMG_3976.JPGIMG_3977.JPGIMG_3980.JPGIMG_3982.JPGIMG_3983.JPG

I spent 6 hours today prepping and grinding/sanding concrete blocks for just 25 minutes of laying down 3.5 gallons of paint with my airless sprayer. The 65-year-old garage floor is getting jackhammered out tomorrow and a new floor goes in. It will look like a new garage soon just in time for winter!

View attachment 8967426View attachment 8967427View attachment 8967428View attachment 8967429View attachment 8967430
Looks good! Just curious about the floor - how badly cracked/spalled was it? Asking because I’m looking ar fixng our garage floor and I’m reading about these repair guys who use epoxy. We had a really bad floor epixy patched and coated in a formulation area of a plant I managed and it looked close to new when the plant closed eight years later. If they can repair and warranty my floor, it probably comes down to cost vs remove and repour.

Looks good! Just curious about the floor - how badly cracked/spalled was it? Asking because I’m looking ar fixng our garage floor and I’m reading about these repair guys who use epoxy. We had a really bad floor epixy patched and coated in a formulation area of a plant I managed and it looked close to new when the plant closed eight years later. If they can repair and warranty my floor, it probably comes down to cost vs remove and repour.

Badly cracked and dozens of missing pieces/chips(some as large as 8") from all the years of salt and other abuse. Somehow the guy who built it in 1955 had the sense of putting a drain in the middle of the garage floor that still works. We are having some other concrete work done in the back yard and it just made sense to replace the garage floor as well as long as the cement contractor is here. The house is large and in a desirable area near Minneapolis and when we go to sell it in 3 years we hope to recoup some or all of our money spent fixing the garage. It's been the only tired spot in the home since we bought it late 2017 so if nothing else we will get to enjoy a new-looking garage for the next few years.

Badly cracked and dozens of missing pieces/chips(some as large as 8") from all the years of salt and other abuse. Somehow the guy who built it in 1955 had the sense of putting a drain in the middle of the garage floor that still works. We are having some other concrete work done in the back yard and it just made sense to replace the garage floor as well as long as the cement contractor is here. The house is large and in a desirable area near Minneapolis and when we go to sell it in 3 years we hope to recoup some or all of our money spent fixing the garage. It's been the only tired spot in the home since we bought it late 2017 so if nothing else we will get to enjoy a new-looking garage for the next few years.

Very logical. Thanks and good luck with the project!

Bought some Trex. Deck demo to begin shortly.

So, the DeWalt 20V Max cordless tools are effing legit!

So, the DeWalt 20V Max cordless tools are effing legit!

Heard many good things about them. They are one of many good choices our there.

I’m shoooooooooooooooooocked at the power, and the run time.

Current cordless tools are not anything like they were 10-15 years ago. About three years ago, I decided to buy into the Milwaukee 12V ecosystem, primarily for weight savings in use. They punch well above their weight, and the few times I felt I needed MORE POWER, I've trotted out my corded DeWalt drill.

Technically, cordless screwdrivers have been around for centuries:

1602093341889.png

This is all I could finish before dark. Started getting tired ripping down the last railing and probably stripped a few screws. That sounds like a tomorrow problem. Where’s my beer?
A833EE7D-9A37-4B56-B401-AAE9B1BE2869.jpeg

Since I’m going back up from studs, I decided to give the Zip System sheathing a go. So much good stuff out there on it for it’s sealing qualities so I figure why not. Hope it arrives by early next week (y)

Last of the wall was cut out yesterday for the new patio doors and the old door has been bricked up, floorboards are down in the new extension area and first fix is all done except for the pipes where the new radiator is going

When I get home this evening, I think the temporary wall will have been taken down if the day has gone to plan and we will be able to see the full space we have got
New patio doors should be installed in the next few days and then the entire area can be boarded ready for the plastering, and after that is done the new kitchen can be fitted

Patio door hole in the wall.jpg

FE59330E-5E45-489C-9351-4C54CB67D3E9.jpeg
Railing is gone. Had to push back delivery until the last week of October. Looks like I’m going as Tim “The Toolman” PretendPsychic for Halloween! Going to pull nails over the next few weeks and then pull boards when we get closer to delivery.

We got our entire septic system replaced yesterday but now have to deal with getting the yard back in shape.

Its shocking how much rained professionals can get done in a day.
5EE9D54C-B814-4968-8A7F-3BB612FCC595.jpeg
07381C02-EBC1-4F54-BE25-6F0AC4AAA887.jpeg

I have heard from Jen, the temporary wall is down, and her son and his girlfriend turned up just as she had gone downstairs to have a look and they were all surprised to see how big the space is compared to what we had

Not sure I will be able to get any pictures tonight as I am not heading straight home from work and it is getting dark a lot earlier now, but I will grab some pics over the weekend

Just put our 50% deposit for countertops, ~80 sq feet .. wife owes me big time on this one one, oooofff
20201009_152439.jpg

Spent 2 hours pulling nails from the old deck boards today. Prep work for ultimately removing boards. This way I can keep them in place and they’ll be easy to pull when the Trex comes in. At least that’s the plan. Have I mentioned I’m sore?

Nice slab. More movement = more $$
We negotiated quite a bit, price per square foot was very low just the amount of it needed.. couldve been a lot worse, this guy was at least 800 less

Hoping it won't be ready for a few weeks, give me a couple paychecks to recoup haha

We got our entire septic system replaced yesterday but now have to deal with getting the yard back in shape.

Its shocking how much rained professionals can get done in a day.
View attachment 8967927
View attachment 8967928

Those white tubes in the picture are 4" corrugated drainage pipe wrapped in a cloth sock with foam rock-shaped filler between the sock and pipe. They cost about $40/10 ft, compared to maybe $10 for equivalent pipe/sock/drainage stone. The $40 ones are worth every penny. I laid 160 feet of them in twenty minutes two years ago. If I had done it the old-fashioned way, it probably would have been five hours and two chiropractor visits. Highly recommended option.

Back