The Home Theater Thread

Here's a picture of my room the day everything was installed.

View attachment 30948

I like it. Most TV's are mounted too high but yours looks like it's at the perfect height. The ideal situation is to have your eyes approximately in the middle of the screen. This is not always possible because of screen size (mostly projectors) and WAF. Thanks for sharing.

So I'm moving my Xbox One into my middle kids room and I'll be adding a couple items to my setup. The LG 65 OLED is LEGIT and I've been perusing streaming devices as well as 4K Blu Ray players. I'm torn on the streaming devices, but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu Ray player. So I'm curious to know what streaming devices you all have used for 4K content. The DirecTV 4K content is limited right now, but I'll likely be upgrading my converter eventually as well. Any input on this is appreciated though since I want to take full advantage of this baller ass TV I have now!

So I'm moving my Xbox One into my middle kids room and I'll be adding a couple items to my setup. The LG 65 OLED is LEGIT and I've been perusing streaming devices as well as 4K Blu Ray players. I'm torn on the streaming devices, but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu Ray player. So I'm curious to know what streaming devices you all have used for 4K content. The DirecTV 4K content is limited right now, but I'll likely be upgrading my converter eventually as well. Any input on this is appreciated though since I want to take full advantage of this baller ass TV I have now!

I have used the Roku 4K/hdr streamer, it works very well. I am going to buy a Appel 4K/hdr device soon, it is suppose to be fantastic. However, for the last couple months I have been using the onboard apps in the LG and have zero complaints, it works really well after all the updates. It streams HDR or Dolby vision. You do need a strong WiFi signal for the tv apps though. So in a nutshell, I’m in no hurry to get the new Apple. I mostly watch Netflix, amazon, vudu, and google, all are avail onboard.

BTW recently added a eero home WiFi routing system and it is fricken amazing. Love love love it. No dead spots, and the consistency is great. Updates itself too which I really like.

I have used the Roku 4K/hdr streamer, it works very well. I am going to buy a Appel 4K/hdr device soon, it is suppose to be fantastic. However, for the last couple months I have been using the onboard apps in the LG and have zero complaints, it works really well after all the updates. It streams HDR or Dolby vision. You do need a strong WiFi signal for the tv apps though. So in a nutshell, I’m in no hurry to get the new Apple. I mostly watch Netflix, amazon, vudu, and google, all are avail onboard.

BTW recently added a eero home WiFi routing system and it is fricken amazing. Love love love it. No dead spots, and the consistency is great. Updates itself too which I really like.

I haven't setup any of the TV apps yet, but I intend to! I was also sniffing around the Roku Ultra after I read a few reviews and for $99 that's great value! I think that's probably there direction I'll end up going but I'm going to see how the on board apps work first.

My modest garage build. Our house had a garage in the basement we used for storage/overflow, 6 years ago we converted to a room inside of a room and made a media room. Great for watching new releases and sporting events! Sony black pearl 1080p projector, Home built 110" screen, Onkyo 7.1 surround with Polk/Definitive Technologies speakers and buttkickers in each seat.
I just realized my links were all messed up. Went back and uploaded thru the site.

So over the last couple weeks I picked up a Sony UBP-X800 Blu-Ray player and a Roku Ultra. After seeing how crisp the picture is on the Blu-Ray player, I'm returning the Roku Ultra and will be using the X800 for Netflix and Amazon Prime. It just seemed redundant having two devices that can provide the same service. I was also sniffing around a Sonos Playbase, but after doing some research I decided to stick with my KEF 5.1 system since it provides plenty of sound for my relatively small living room. All that said, I'm absolutely loving my LG OLED. It was a huge upgrade!

I’ll second the Eero WiFi mesh router. We have one at our home that has 5200 sq feet on the main level and it works flawlessly and provides coverage outside in the back yard as well. We also have a couple Apple TV 4k’s and they are definitely worth the $179 especially if you use or own anything else from Apple. I love using the microphone on the remote to quickly navigate to whatever we want to watch or listen to and how easy it is to access our 74,000 pictures that are on our Mac/iCloud or how easy it is to stream anything from our iPhones.

Great looking setup. I’ve loved the sound of Martin Logan’s since I sold them way back in my hifi selling days at Best Buy in the late 1980’s.

Man I love all my Martin Logan speakers. I have the Vantage, Stage X center, Descent i sub, and B & W effect speakers. It sounds AWESOME for music and movies.

It's an amazing TV and I love mine. Did you pull the trigger?
I did not as the deal listed was not accurate. However, I still have my eyes on the prize.

The biggest drawback is having to upgrade all of my gear, namely AVR. Thinking the Denon 3300 should cover my needs and it is available for ~$500.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So over the last couple weeks I picked up a Sony UBP-X800 Blu-Ray player and a Roku Ultra. After seeing how crisp the picture is on the Blu-Ray player, I'm returning the Roku Ultra and will be using the X800 for Netflix and Amazon Prime. It just seemed redundant having two devices that can provide the same service. I was also sniffing around a Sonos Playbase, but after doing some research I decided to stick with my KEF 5.1 system since it provides plenty of sound for my relatively small living room. All that said, I'm absolutely loving my LG OLED. It was a huge upgrade!
Who do you use for TV service? I was looking at dropping DirecTV and going Roku Ultras and Hulu live if I make the move. We already subscribe to Hulu, so the change to live is an incremental fee and the wife is already comfortable with the interface.

My other thought is to jump on the DirecTV Now promo and prepay for 3 months and get a 4K Apple TV "free", but I am not part of the apple eco system.

I have also done a little research on the nVidia Shield, but the Roku Ultra seems like a no brainier when comparing price points and overall value.

Who do you use for TV service? I was looking at dropping DirecTV and going Roku Ultras and Hulu live if I make the move. We already subscribe to Hulu, so the change to live is an incremental fee and the wife is already comfortable with the interface.

My other thought is to jump on the DirecTV Now promo and prepay for 3 months and get a 4K Apple TV "free", but I am not part of the apple eco system.

I have also done a little research on the nVidia Shield, but the Roku Ultra seems like a no brainier when comparing price points and overall value.

I have DirecTV since their 2 year price lock was half the price of what I was paying with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). Just about every review I've read has given the Roku Ultra top marks, but since I can run Netflix, Amazon Prime and a host of other apps through my Blu-Ray player I just decided to go that route. Pretty much unbeatable value when you consider the price.

I saw Pliny and tahoebum's comments about Eero as well. I've been battling the wifi coverage issues in my house as well, and my last experiment with a Netgear wifi extender went poorly so I'm sniffing around either an Eero or Orbi system. I can't be dealing with these third world internet speeds!

I have DirecTV since their 2 year price lock was half the price of what I was paying with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). Just about every review I've read has given the Roku Ultra top marks, but since I can run Netflix, Amazon Prime and a host of other apps through my Blu-Ray player I just decided to go that route. Pretty much unbeatable value when you consider the price.

I saw Pliny and tahoebum's comments about Eero as well. I've been battling the wifi coverage issues in my house as well, and my last experiment with a Netgear wifi extender went poorly so I'm sniffing around either an Eero or Orbi system. I can't be dealing with these third world internet speeds!

I haven't tried them yet, but am considering for my home one of the Ubiquiti Unifi access points based on the research I have done and from talking to a friend of mine who works in IT

I’m now finally at the point to set-up the home theater for our new lake home. I’m looking at and 82” LG TV and these Elac speakers that I had a chance to listen to last month.

https://www.cnet.com/products/elac-adante-as-61gb/preview/

Which 82”? It it OLEd?

I’m planning mine right now for the new house and was going to do a 77” oled but now leaning towards a projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which 82”? It it OLEd?

I’m planning mine right now for the new house and was going to do a 77” oled but now leaning towards a projector.

Still measuring size in inches how cute. Get the projector and start measuring in feet !!! LOL

Still measuring size in inches how cute. Get the projector and start measuring in feet !!! LOL

That’s why I’m looking to go with projector. 9-10’ sounds nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 55" LG OLED and recently picked up the new 2018 TCL 55 and it isn't even close in terms of picture quality. The OLEDs are so damn good on all fronts.

I’m now finally at the point to set-up the home theater for our new lake home. I’m looking at and 82” LG TV and these Elac speakers that I had a chance to listen to last month.

https://www.cnet.com/products/elac-adante-as-61gb/preview/

I hav a suggestion if you do not mind. Listen to any Martin Logan speakers. I am an audiophile and LOVE my ML Vantage speakers. I also have surroend, in wall, speakers from ML and a Stage center. Give they a try and you will not be sorry.

I went with all in wall/ceiling Klipsch reference series throughout the house. Honestly it’s part of a nostalgia thing for me. I discovered the reference series in the late 90s and loved them, but being a poor college kid, I could not spend $$$$$/speaker. Now that I can, I got them.

That’s why I’m looking to go with projector. 9-10’ sounds nice.

My advise would be to go a big as space allows. If you can fit a 10' go for it. You may also want to consider an acoustically transparent screen, you can go wider because the speakers are behind the screen. Good luck with your build.

My advise would be to go a big as space allows. If you can fit a 10' go for it. You may also want to consider an acoustically transparent screen, you can go wider because the speakers are behind the screen. Good luck with your build.

We have 2 windows that are 9’4” apart. I need to determine the casing thickness so depending on the casement we will be between 110 and 120” screen.

We have 2 windows that are 9’4” apart. I need to determine the casing thickness so depending on the casement we will be between 110 and 120” screen.

We all have constraints and crosses to bear. LOL

I'll leave on this note... NOTHING immerses a movie/concert audience more than size and sound - for size projectors are king.

Back