The Home Theater Thread

We all have constraints and crosses to bear. LOL

I'll leave on this note... NOTHING immerses a movie/concert audience more than size and sound - for size projectors are king.

I thought about putting a Electric drop-down screen so I can go biggerure, but I’m concerned about the screen quality since it won’t be fixed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought about putting a Electric drop-down screen so I can go biggerure, but I’m concerned about the screen quality since it won’t be fixed

IMO fixed screens are the best but there are some good drop-downs. One of the best price/performance screen companies - LINK.

I haven't researched screens for about six years now but take a look at Seymour screens, they offered the best price/performance when I needed a screen and their Customer Service is excellent. Really a great company to deal with and at a fraction of the price with compared with some of the big names out there like Stewart.

Here's a LINK that you should take a look at - again do your own research and just don't take my word for it. See what's best for YOU and your budget.

Just spoke to a Control4 dealer I was considering using for our Home Audio/Video distribution and home automation. After 10 minutes, I had to let him go. Holy crap. It became very clear that they want to do 100% of the work themselves and pulled the "if someone else gets in it, we can't support it" BS. I refuse to work with closed systems and especially refuse to work with a company that just assumes their customer is too stupid to do anything in their realm.

Nice way to lose a $15k+ project!

Wubears71

I don't know how close you are to a Magnolia Best Buy but they do a lot of work with Control4 and can be quite helpful and generally know their stuff. Control4 is generally a pretty closed system and unless your a dealer it becomes a warranty issue from what I remember. Have you looked into URC or the Harmony do it yourself route?

Wubears71

I don't know how close you are to a Magnolia Best Buy but they do a lot of work with Control4 and can be quite helpful and generally know their stuff. Control4 is generally a pretty closed system and unless your a dealer it becomes a warranty issue from what I remember. Have you looked into URC or the Harmony do it yourself route?

I was really not opposed to the cpntrol4 closeness as I was with the dealer insisting that they do everything including pulling wiring.

I have been used in harmony for years. That is exactly what I am going to humans and possibly down the road at one of the open source platforms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really not opposed to the cpntrol4 closeness as I was with the dealer insisting that they do everything including pulling wiring.

I have been used in harmony for years. That is exactly what I am going to humans and possibly down the road at one of the open source platforms

I like harmony their database of units is absurdly expansive, it can control your home theater integrate with your voice controls and alot of your diy smartplugs and lights as well and set up what they call scenes so when your ready for the game your lights change colors tv and sound system turn on and your good to go or if its movie time lights dim channels change blinds go down all from saying "alexa turn on a movie."

My 86” LG has been in since early July but I still haven’t made time to install the home theater equipment. I’m waiting on a new pair of Elac Adante speakers and the matching center channel to show up. I will say the size and pictue quality of the TV is awesome for movies or sports as the seating is only about 10-12 feet away.

My 86” LG has been in since early July but I still haven’t made time to install the home theater equipment. I’m waiting on a new pair of Elac Adante speakers and the matching center channel to show up. I will say the size and pictue quality of the TV is awesome for movies or sports as the seating is only about 10-12 feet away.

Which model did you get?

Which model did you get?

The 86SJ9570. It's LED, not OLED, because there is no OLED available from any company yet in an 86". My OLED 65" that is upstairs at the same home has a better picture but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the picture is on the 86".

The weak link is still the signal since I mostly watch streamed TV and very little of what I watch is in 4k yet although I expect that to change rapidly over the next year. Picture quality of movies streamed in 4k or from blu ray is amazing and the size of the tv makes watching sports very lifelike.

Here's the link.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-86SJ9570-4k-uhd-tv

I ordered a new projector this weekend for the new house.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102475

It may be a 2017 model but there is virtually no difference between it and the current models. I was going to wait until December,bee when JVC releases it’s native 4K projector but the reps are fairly certain it will have a high price point and even the 4K eshift projectors will increase in price. There is little inventory out there so I picked it up brand new in the box with a 5 year warranty and basically at the dealers cost, which is about 50% off msrp.

Here is the 120” screen.

ed6661ca32b1bf2109c7b3d4e85fffed.jpg

It may be a 2017 model but there is virtually no difference between it and the current models. I was going to wait until December,bee when JVC releases it’s native 4K projector but the reps are fairly certain it will have a high price point and even the 4K eshift projectors will increase in price. There is little inventory out there so I picked it up brand new in the box with a 5 year warranty and basically at the dealers cost, which is about 50% off msrp.

Here is the 120” screen.

I've always been a big fan of buying gear a little be behind the leading edge. You get top notch kit for not a lot of cash.

Here is the 120” screen.

I really like this idea too.

I’ve also been toying with the idea of a home theatre which could also be used as an indoor range to hit some balls during winter. Ah dreams...

Boxes of speakers ready to install in hopefully a couple of weeks after drywall is taped and painted.
5b93dfddcdaf14450b8968e5729fdda4.jpg

e4aa9a4c75b7a60276d60fd0835a5186.jpg

4f4a3ba6a89a0d45ee363ce7aec4fc5c.jpg

Looking good wubears71. My home theater needs an update but it looks and sounds great so I will probably wait for a component to fail and upgrade all at once. My current setup is a 60" Panasonic plasma from the last year they produced them, 2015 I think. I have a 9.2 Onkyo receiver with 5.1 in the living room and a pair of outdoor speakers on the deck and a pair in the garage. I can listen to different sources in each zone simultaneously. My Infinity speakers still sound great after 15+ years.

Really interested in a Sonos setup, don't want to go wired, and it seems that every review says there's Sonos, and then everyone else.

Here is the 120” screen.

That JVC projector is one of the best. I’ve seen the JVC RS600 installed in a buddies home and the picture quality and black levels are amazing. Is that screen acoustically transparent or is the center channel getting mounted lower?

That JVC projector is one of the best. I’ve seen the JVC RS600 installed in a buddies home and the picture quality and black levels are amazing. Is that screen acoustically transparent or is the center channel getting mounted lower?

The center channel will be mounted just below the screen.

Really interested in a Sonos setup, don't want to go wired, and it seems that every review says there's Sonos, and then everyone else.

If you go that route I will be interested to hear what you think as it is something I have briefly looked at and may well consider for next year - looking at one upstairs, one in the dining room/kitchen and then maybe one in the living room just for ease of us instead of using the 5.1 setup and switching various things on and off

All of them would be hard-wired in to the network as there are network points in all of the rooms, so playing from a central server would be no issue, and any music on our phones would already be on the server anyway

Unfortunately one of the 2" flexible conduit I pulled kinked when insulation and drywall went up so I cannot get a HDMI cable through it. Fortunately, I pulled multiple CAT6A cables everywhere. So, I'm adding distributed Video a little sooner than I expected. I ended up purchasing a 8x16 8x8 HDR 18GBPS HDbaseT 4K MATRIX SWITCHER made by No Hassle AV based on a user on the Control4 forum.
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.25.59 AM.png

Anyone have any experience with No Hassle AV?

That's going to look awesome when completed @wubears71 .... can't wait to see the finished product.

Boxes of speakers ready to install in hopefully a couple of weeks after drywall is taped and painted.
5b93dfddcdaf14450b8968e5729fdda4.jpg

e4aa9a4c75b7a60276d60fd0835a5186.jpg

4f4a3ba6a89a0d45ee363ce7aec4fc5c.jpg

Dude your gonna love the Klipsch!! I have the HD Wireless Home system with 2 subs. It just sounds amazing and pounds! Football sound like your in the stadium. Love that mine is wireless. No speaker wires to run at all.

The Home Theater Thread

We just cut the hole for the AV rack. My trim guy will be trimming it out today and I can finally start terminating these.
569304489481634b292551826b10cf91.jpg

8072f578783671608183e7d56fad758b.jpg

We just cut the hole for the AV rack. My trim guy will be trimming it out today and I can finally start terminating these.
569304489481634b292551826b10cf91.jpg

8072f578783671608183e7d56fad758b.jpg

Looks like you will have a pro set up! All those wires remind me that we moved everything in in June and I still haven’t hooked up all my audio gear at our lake home. I have all the in-wall speakers and the wires and cables are there I just need to take a day and finish it.

Major progress made today on the brains.
3e79e63a099c89562219c086395ca811.jpg

9306144dde60fd03c45bb1685095f375.jpg

Projector is installed. I’ve done no adjustment to the pic and it looks great.
bddf536c054b687e030ce9033a6ef162.jpg

Back