The Home Theater Thread

Phase 2 of the build (desperately need a unit for under the tv though).
24905469-5282-4327-82D0-5B2B1EAC2F41.jpeg
48DCD03A-D5BF-407A-815D-67C6A9DA475D.jpeg

Any of you guys use bias lighting? I'm gonna try out the Media light bias lighting.

Planning to buy a 65" Sony 900H.

Any of you guys use bias lighting? I'm gonna try out the Media light bias lighting.

I just have a cheap LED strip on the back of my tv. Not sure it enhances my viewer experience, but it’s fun and I can change it to my team’s color :LOL:
A9817118-294D-4693-8A47-E54424C0393A.jpeg

I have 3 media light kits on my tv’s. Absolutely amazing products. I love having bias lighting, and will continue to do so in the future with media light products. Very very pleased with them.

here is a media light (quad xl?) on my 65” visio

F27368F9-B538-4161-9437-051461C79182.jpeg

I remember putting LED’s on the rear of my TV when it was still an IKEA led strip hack years ago. Love you can now buy the kits that plug into the tv USB and turn on and off automatically with the tv. It’s supposed to be easier on the eyes. I dunno about that, I just know it looks pretty darn cool.
59511D9C-1F46-4DA2-8996-0ED30D7A6373.jpeg

Finally got more of the wires into the wall and mounted the soundbar, last one is the tv power wire. Would need an in wall extension cord but I'm apprehensive, otherwise need an electrician to put in a power outlet behind the tv. Any have any suggestions?

20201114_105234.jpg

I remember putting LED’s on the rear of my TV when it was still an IKEA led strip hack years ago. Love you can now buy the kits that plug into the tv USB and turn on and off automatically with the tv. It’s supposed to be easier on the eyes. I dunno about that, I just know it looks pretty darn cool.
View attachment 8970838
Any particular kit preferred or recommended?

Finally got more of the wires into the wall and mounted the soundbar, last one is the tv power wire. Would need an in wall extension cord but I'm apprehensive, otherwise need an electrician to put in a power outlet behind the tv. Any have any suggestions?

View attachment 8974210

Any particular kit preferred or recommended?

For the power cable, go for something like this

For the LEDs I used this, although I would imagine they are all much the same

I have 3 media light kits on my tv’s. Absolutely amazing products. I love having bias lighting, and will continue to do so in the future with media light products. Very very pleased with them.

here is a media light (quad xl?) on my 65” visio

View attachment 8970820

I've been looking into something like this. Does it happen to change colors with the screen or is that all just dramatic sales effects?

Finally started purchasing speakers for the basement i'm finishing. Decided to go with Polk as they seem to be a decent value for the money. Ordered the rear speakers today and I'm picking up the center and fronts after Christmas. Going with in wall all around as it will be a bit of a tight area due to our large couch.

I've been looking into something like this. Does it happen to change colors with the screen or is that all just dramatic sales effects?

the Medialight ones do not change colors, by design.
It really is about what your end goal is. The color changing lights can be fun and enjoyable (I’ve used some from Luminoodle and my brother still does).
But if you are really after screen/viewing experience, the medialight kits are the best on the home market. The colors (especially black) are so much better/vibrant looking with this correct white light/temperature.
The color changing led strips just have not been able to replicate the same white light effect/color (called temperature). Another pro to the medialight, because of the color temp, my eyes are much less strained, especially when watching in the bedroom at night.

Having owned medialight kits, and others like luminoodle, there’s absolutely zero chance for me going back to anything else that isn’t at least on par with medialight. I’ve put them on all tv’s in my house now, and could not be happier.

so while the color changing isn’t really a gimmick, it’s not close to the level of proper bias lighting. If you have a quality tv setup, I’d recommend medialight in a heartbeat. If color changing is a must, try to find something that has the best white light color (6500k)

the Medialight ones do not change colors, by design.
It really is about what your end goal is. The color changing lights can be fun and enjoyable (I’ve used some from Luminoodle and my brother still does).
But if you are really after screen/viewing experience, the medialight kits are the best on the home market. The colors (especially black) are so much better/vibrant looking with this correct white light/temperature.
The color changing led strips just have not been able to replicate the same white light effect/color (called temperature). Another pro to the medialight, because of the color temp, my eyes are much less strained, especially when watching in the bedroom at night.

Having owned medialight kits, and others like luminoodle, there’s absolutely zero chance for me going back to anything else that isn’t at least on par with medialight. I’ve put them on all tv’s in my house now, and could not be happier.

so while the color changing isn’t really a gimmick, it’s not close to the level of proper bias lighting. If you have a quality tv setup, I’d recommend medialight in a heartbeat. If color changing is a must, try to find something that has the best white light color (6500k)

Thanks. I have a 65" LG C9 OLED.

For anyone looking for the bias lighting, the media link lighting seems to be 15% off on the website.. just trying to figure out if I need 4 or 5 meters for my 75" but sound bar mounted directly underneath.. supposedly may cause a shadow?

Finally started purchasing speakers for the basement i'm finishing. Decided to go with Polk as they seem to be a decent value for the money. Ordered the rear speakers today and I'm picking up the center and fronts after Christmas. Going with in wall all around as it will be a bit of a tight area due to our large couch.
I have Polks all around and they provide great sound for my area. 👊

I have Polks all around and they provide great sound for my area. 👊
All my speakers are just sitting in their boxes is in my basement. I'm just itching to get them installed. I'm probably still about 3 weeks away unfortunately.

I just purchased an Epson 5050ub 4k projector from Parker Gwen. $2,659, shipped. Their price is $2,799 ($2,999 MSRP) then applied 5% off discount code: PARKERGWENVIP. No tax, free shipping.

I'd never heard of this site before but it's highly regarded at AVS and other A/V forums.

Not native 4k but when I saw it in person a while back, I sure couldn't tell as it looked fantastic.

Upgrading from a 1080p 5025ub that I'd bought new 5 years ago. That one has been great, still works just fine save for a semi-recent development of dust blobs (can only be seen during very dark scenes).

I've been 4k ready for quite a while as per cabling, A/V receiver, 4k Roku and 4k DirecTV receiver, finally will be adding the most vital component.

I just purchased an Epson 5050ub 4k projector from Parker Gwen. $2,659, shipped. Their price is $2,799 ($2,999 MSRP) then applied 5% off discount code: PARKERGWENVIP. No tax, free shipping.

I'd never heard of this site before but it's highly regarded at AVS and other A/V forums.

Not native 4k but when I saw it in person a while back, I sure couldn't tell as it looked fantastic.

Upgrading from a 1080p 5025ub that I'd bought new 5 years ago. That one has been great, still works just fine save for a semi-recent development of dust blobs (can only be seen during very dark scenes).

I've been 4k ready for quite a while as per cabling, A/V receiver, 4k Roku and 4k DirecTV receiver, finally will be adding the most vital component.
Awesome! I Will be making the jump to 4k projector at some point as well. When I do, the current BenQ projector will be put into Golf Sim duty :cool:

Awesome! I Will be making the jump to 4k projector at some point as well. When I do, the current BenQ projector will be put into Golf Sim duty :cool:
Yeah, I'll be putting my 1080p into storage. I don't have a golf sim YET and don't even have a viable indoor area for one.

But I do have a large patio beneath a screened porch and the plan is to enclose it at some point (relatively soon, I hope) for Sim City.

Ordered a new sub today. I had an older 10" Polk that was okay but pretty sub par for my room. I was using bass transducers to supplement the lack of oomph from my budget sub. I've been reading reviews and this sub is getting great reviews.
Should be here tomorrow! :eek:

Finally got a buddy to help me out with the final power wire and did ghe biad lighting as well. I really like the look, but I think I messed up applying them where I should have done the outer 6" on the bottom. Thoughts?
20210313_165329.jpg

If so He said he's got a clip i can extend it, so then just have to adjust the start point and work it around

Finally got a buddy to help me out with the final power wire and did ghe biad lighting as well. I really like the look, but I think I messed up applying them where I should have done the outer 6" on the bottom. Thoughts?
View attachment 8997878

If so He said he's got a clip i can extend it, so then just have to adjust the start point and work it around

I’d recommend moving the lower side if possible. You won’t be so distracted by the off center glow and you’ll be happier in the long run!!

All finished up. Went with the options of building everything in wall/ceiling except the sub. I'm needing to do some more work because the sub doesn't seem to be working.

1616166956881.png

All finished up. Went with the options of building everything in wall/ceiling except the sub. I'm needing to do some more work because the sub doesn't seem to be working.

View attachment 8998661

Do many of you prefer to have the TV mounted higher on the wall as the one in the picture above? My current set up has the center of my screen at approximately eye level while I’m seated. I’m going to be moving in a few weeks and remounting the tv in the new house. If there are reasons for mounting it higher than my current position, I’d like to hear them.

Do many of you prefer to have the TV mounted higher on the wall as the one in the picture above? My current set up has the center of my screen at approximately eye level while I’m seated. I’m going to be moving in a few weeks and remounting the tv in the new house. If there are reasons for mounting it higher than my current position, I’d like to hear them.
In a perfect world, depending on seating, your scenario is ideal. In our instance, we have an 85" TV and the only placement was above the fire place, so it goes there, but it works out well based on our seating and lying down on the couch positions.

The house I’m moving to (see photo) had their tv mounted above the fireplace and I don’t think I’d like it there at all.

61EB2EA7-B125-410E-BB8D-3048CBB3328E.jpeg

Back