The Home Theater Thread

Do many of you prefer to have the TV mounted higher on the wall as the one in the picture above? My current set up has the center of my screen at approximately eye level while I’m seated. I’m going to be moving in a few weeks and remounting the tv in the new house. If there are reasons for mounting it higher than my current position, I’d like to hear them.
As mentioned by @JB it is preferable to have the TV at eye level where possible to negate a need to tilt your head back to watch it

We have our TV above a fire, but the viewing position is the opposite side of the room, and with recliner seating it allows us to sit and watch the TV without having to tilt our heads back

Probably Photoshopped. In the online photos, a tv in another room had exactly the same picture. When we saw the house, the tv was there, but not turned on.

As mentioned by @JB it is preferable to have the TV at eye level where possible to negate a need to tilt your head back to watch it

This is the correct answer. That said, IMO it's better to have the TV slightly higher than eye level so that you can put your center channel at sitting ear level since most people don't have projectors and therefore can't put the center speaker behind the screen.

As someone who used to install home theater systems a lifetime ago, I can't stress the importance of speaker positioning enough to anyone who is serious about making their system sing. Unfortunately, most people don't have a custom designed home theater room so they will need to make compromises somewhere.

For instance, here's the front of my setup:

IMG_3087.jpg

I couldn't get the proper width for the front L & R speakers in relation to my seating position because of room layout. So I decided to go with a speaker system by Golden Ears that has a passive L/C/R that is designed to give a wider soundstage for folks with limited front space as I have. I also had to put the subwoofer on the bricks since they wrap around both sides of the walls at the front. But because I have this speaker at ear level; the surrounds positioned and angled in an acceptable way to our seating position; and due to the magic of Audyssey room correction, the soundstage of my system is much larger than you would think. In fact, while my last home had an almost perfect layout for my system I feel my current one comes very close in sound.

In the end, we're all trying to find the best combination of sound quality/price/and WAF (wife acceptance factor) to have an enjoyable HT experience for our rooms ;)

As others have said, the correct height for a TV is lower, so you don't have to tilt your head back to view it. We have one TV that's mounted much too high above a mantel, and very soon, I'm getting one of the drop-down mounts that will bring it out and down for easier viewing.

I'm likely going to try this motorized one for $239. https://www.amazon.com/vdp/53ffd3ec06f44b0488dc22dfaacfed9e

The install will be a bit tricky as it's an uneven rock fireplace, but I already went through installing another conventional mount there, so maybe I can use some of the existing holes/anchors in the rock. I should have known better and installed a drop-down mount the first time, lol.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.07.18 PM.png

Do many of you prefer to have the TV mounted higher on the wall as the one in the picture above? My current set up has the center of my screen at approximately eye level while I’m seated. I’m going to be moving in a few weeks and remounting the tv in the new house. If there are reasons for mounting it higher than my current position, I’d like to hear them.
I have a toddler who seems to think our TV is just a big tablet and tends to try to turn the screen on by touching it. That is part of the reason I have it mounted where it is so that he can only get to a 1/3 of the screen. If I didn't have this issue I may have dropped it a few inches at most.

The house I’m moving to (see photo) had their tv mounted above the fireplace and I don’t think I’d like it there at all.

View attachment 8998678

This is far and away my biggest pet peeve when looking at houses. It's all over the place in builds from the last ten year and I cannot express how much I hate it.

Not sure if you referring to mine, but if I could re mount it, I would do it a good 4-6" lower, a little more eye level. I read online that based on the size of the screen and the distance, center of screen should be at 65" and thats what we mounted it at.

A slight amount of neck titling if sitting upright, but most of the time we are on a slight recline/lounge

Tv should absolutely be mounted at eye level for optimum viewing. Trouble is, it looks better aesthetically having the tv higher up, especially with today’s larger TVs. When I mounted mine, the first thing the missus said is a bit low isn’t it. Thankfully, the living room is my space, the family room is hers, so the tv stayed put.
With regards to mounting it over a fireplace, that’s something I would never do.

Ideally, it's a driver length to the middle of the screen. :)

It does expose the TV to potential damage when it's mounted where mine is with a chipping mat and green next to it, lol. My son took out a cheaper 60" TV in this spot a year ago with a bladed wedge. :) Luckily it was old and much too small for the opening, the 75" Vizio that is there now just fits.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.53.25 PM.png

Anyone use an Nvidia Shield Pro?

I'm curious if its AI upscaling can improve the picture from Hulu live TV.....?

For my fellow home theater buffs that stream.

Check this video out from Vincent T.. I just ordered one, so curious if this works on my LGs and what the impact will be.

A bit surprising that the higher end TV manufactures are using such old networking technology... especially when considering todays streaming needs and 1Gb residential network availability. The cost would be minimal for them to offer 1Gb as a standard offering.

What is your download Internet connection speed at home ???

Looking forward to your experience.

A bit surprising that the higher end TV manufactures are using such old networking technology... especially when considering todays streaming needs and 1Gb residential network availability. The cost would be minimal for them to offer 1Gb as a standard offering.

What is your download Internet connection speed at home ???

Looking forward to your experience.

My plan is 500/500

You should definitely notice the difference.
The adapter won't work on my older LG B6 OLED. So will try it on my CX.

Got my father in law set up with a sound bar and bias lighting. His setup is coming along!

984F3184-8EEA-4117-BD57-656F0549F572.jpeg

For my fellow home theater buffs that stream.

Check this video out from Vincent T.. I just ordered one, so curious if this works on my LGs and what the impact will be.

What’d you determine? Work? Worth it? I have a LG C9.

I will have to upload some pics of mine. 5.1.2 for now with a 65" vizio qled. I will be upgrading soon right now is a onkyo reciever with jamo fronts and center with hsu sub and micca mb42x rears and micca covo-s for heights. everything but the sub will be upgraded within a year or so.

Anyone use an Nvidia Shield Pro?

I'm curious if its AI upscaling can improve the picture from Hulu live TV.....?

I have 2 shields. One upstairs on a 50" 1080p plasma and one in the mancave on a 43" 720pm plasma. I don't use HULU though. Just OTA and Netflix.

Yes Plasma tv's :p. They still work!

Last edited:
New TV arrived. It will get a new stand coming up soon and obviously those curtains are coming down as they were left from previous owner.
AC1F8CD6-48A5-4923-B9BE-FA21859A62FD.jpeg

New TV arrived. It will get a new stand coming up soon and obviously those curtains are coming down as they were left from previous owner.
View attachment 9103159
Your window treatments look like my theater room from the previous owners. Interested in what you end up with. TV specs?
Nice sock.

Home Theater system2.jpg

Last edited:
We are fortunate to have the sound system built into the ceiling. We have a Denon AVRX2300W Receiver/Amplifier with Klipsch RP240D titanium tweeter mid speaker, and 2 Klipsch speakers in the ceiling above the tv, and 2 ceiling speakers above and behind the viewing couches. Almost forgot, the Klipsch subwoofer. Everything is great except the tv, that I STILL need to upgrade (Panasonic 65 in. plasma).Home Theater system3.jpg

Back