The hooks and casting issue

cheffor

verified 20 handicap
Reaction score
Handicap
16 (OOB)
I have been having issues lately with hooks off of the tee, I recently took some lessons from Golftec and have gotten my swing more on plane and coming inside to outside and my game has improved quite a bit but now I'm struggling hitting the ball left off of the tee. I took some video last night of almost all of my swing and I've noticed that I'm flipping my hands at impact which I'm assuming is causing the hooks, what drills are there to stop the flipping? Here is a screen capture of my swing right before impact on the best drive of the night.

casting_zps89afbb64.jpg

Morning bump

Please try to give the GolfTec pros time to get in to answer your question. It's only been four days, and they aren't here every day.

When they see a thread with some replies in it, it looks like it's already been answered, so they may overlook it.

Right hand only chips. "Eat your chips and dip with your right hand only" may seem like terrible advice to stop the flip. Because it is. I mean chip shots. Low, running chip shots. The ones that barely get off the ground, and not because you skulled it, but because your shaft is leaning forward and you made clean ball-first contact.

Work your way up from 10 solid, low and directionally appropriate chips shots 5 yards at a time to eventually hit up to 50 yards (still with your right hand only.) The sensation of keeping the butt of the club leading the head of the club should then translate into a fuller swing motion that will eliminate the casting.

Those aren't arbitrary numbers, by the way. Literally hit 10 solid one-handed shots in a row that meet all the criteria listed above BEFORE moving up in yardage. It may take weeks to be able to hit 10 in a row in 5 yard increments up to 50 yards. But it will be time well spent.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Back