The How would you play this hole series (2021)

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
It seems like these have been fun for discussion. I am going to look for opportunities to do them during 2021. This is the first for 2021. The hole is about 300 yards. there is a water hazard along the right side. A push/slice leaves you wet. About 245 yards out are bunkers on each side of the fairway. I am posting two photos, one showing just the hole and the other highlighting the water hazard in blue on the right and the bunkers in yellow. The two options are lay up in front of the bunkers at whatever is a comfortable distance to leave yourself with your favorite wedge distance into the green. The other option is to go for it with driver. Which would you choose?

9BB3DEDD-4438-41DC-830E-55E9382BF180.jpeg0A77ED43-B86A-43BD-B640-4CD4A873CB21.jpeg

5h and whatever wedge is left in to the green.

Someone else can flirt with ~50 yd bunker shots.

Looks to be decent distance between the bunkers and that is about the distance I can hit driver so I'm going to try and go between the two bunkers. If I roll past them leaves me a nice 58° wedge into the green. I think I can make birdie here.

I'm aiming over the bunker second from the right and having at it with a Snickerdraw, depending on the pin and wind. Nothing greenside looks too daunting.

Last edited:
I’m thinking a 3 hybrid stinger straight down the middle leaving 90 yds to the pin, easy 54 degree to within a foot kick and easy birdie .... bingo!

Since this is my first swing of 2021, with my latest golf coming way back in October, I’m taking a nice gentle 7i out to around 160 yards followed by a smooth 8i.

5W, leaving me 80-100, the wedge from there. Can't even contemplate Driver. This assumes it is "normal" conditions and not hard frozen ground. If there is high run out...then I'd go 5i, leaving PW on down depending on roll.

This is hole number two on this course. I was sent out the back first and finished my first 9 at two under. I had settled in with driver and was feeling pretty confident. The pin was cut on the front left, so I wanted to come in from the right side. I decided to hit driver, aiming down the left middle of the fairway and hoping to hit a little fade. I was fortunate enough to hit the exact shot I wanted and was past the second bunker from the right (the bunker @OldandStiff would fly). I had about 35 yards to the pin. I hit a little wedge and it stopped 6 feet above the hole. I hit a nice putt, but these are winter greens and the ball hit something, moved left and I missed the putt. I tapped in for my par, gaining nothing from my risk, LOL.

00B19D4E-95B0-4210-A70F-537931B3B57E.jpegCC8C81D6-6D6E-4185-9C3C-5D077CBC1F86.jpeg

I’m aiming straight at that left green side bunker and hitting the driver. Should come up just short of it with a chip to the green.

playing the super hybrito off the tee, dialed back a bit on the swing, to about 225-230yds...then hitting an easy PW...well, that's the plan anyway...

I’m aiming straight at that left green side bunker and hitting the driver. Should come up just short of it with a chip to the green.
It is hard to see it from the photo, especially because the grass is dormant, but that left bunker is actually intended to catch tee balls and is about 50 yards in front of the green.

5 wood with a wedge in for the GIR!

I golf for fun. Unless there’s money on the line I’m going for the gusto. If there’s money on the line I’m still going for the GUSTO! Lol.

It is hard to see it from the photo, especially because the grass is dormant, but that left bunker is actually intended to catch tee balls and is about 50 yards in front of the green.
The one just left of the big tree with the person in front of it?

The one just left of the big tree with the person in front of it?
Gotcha. Man, you don’t need reading glasses. I couldn’t even see that bunker in the photo until you pointed it out. LOL. That is a very good line.

Yeah I figured I should have enough to carry those bunkers easily unless I just hit it bad. If I do happen to slice one bad into the water I can still par or bogey it from the drop. A drivable par 4 without much trouble looks too enticing to lay up.

5W short of the bunkers and gap or 56 wedge in.

If the green's clear, it would be difficult not going for it. That'd almost certainly be my usual.

Otherwise, solid 5-iron would leave me +/- 100 yards.

Hole number 1. 3 wood about 215, leaving me a full sw into the green

I see nothing that says hitting driver is the wrong play. Also being left handed my fade works away from the water hazard. The number of 2's and 3's I would make far out weigh any big numbers I would make.

@Tenputt did you post the name of the course. If not that might make these threads better. As we could look at google earth and get the aerial view of the entire hole

I see nothing that says hitting driver is the wrong play. Also being left handed my fade works away from the water hazard. The number of 2's and 3's I would make far out weigh any big numbers I would make.

@Tenputt did you post the name of the course. If not that might make these threads better. As we could look at google earth and get the aerial view of the entire hole
I did not. I usually post a screenshot of my Arccos, but I was not using Arccos today. The course is “Schneiter’s Bluff,” located in West Point, Utah.

I did not. I usually post a screenshot of my Arccos, but I was not using Arccos today. The course is “Schneiter’s Bluff,” located in West Point, Utah.
Thanks after looking on google earth. If you can hit driver onto or near the green that is play. I would start it down the right aiming at what appear to be two small trees down the right side. Cutting it off the trees back towards the fairway/green. Depending on the bounce should be left with an easy up and down or putt at eagle. This would be a hole where I would be expecting to make birdie. Making par would feel like giving one back to the field.

300 yds. with water on the right, why risk it? Simple. 6i off the tee for 170 yd carry with a roll out to about 180 because I can put that dead center. That leaves me a PW to a 9i in depending upon pin placement and wind. A shot close to the flag could be a birdie otherwise it's a two putt par.

Back