The How would you play this hole series (2021)

I'd choke up 1/2" and hit my 19° hybrid leaving a 50° wedge in

3w, wedge easy enough.
No need to get overly creative here.

245 to carry the bunkers? That's about 20-ish yards short of my average carry with my driver so I'm going for the green.

If I am understanding the picts, and yardages correctly, I'd go 3W off the tee. I aim for safe landing area. Then it would a 9i into the green.

I'd be looking for a par, or better on this hole.

We have a similar hole at my home course.

I go with Driver since the bunkers are out of reach & the last few years tracking my stats i hit 75% fairways with the big dog. 2nd shot would be 75-100 yds with a PW, hopefully leaving me with a decent look at birdie, routine 2 putt for par.

I look forward to holes like this. Driver to as close as possible to set up highest percentage U/D birdie look. I miss left far more often than right off the tee so I wouldn't even think about that water. I can't carry those bunkers and most of my drives probably wouldn't roll in either. There's enough space there that that half of my 'nukes' would roll between them anyway and even if I did roll in those bunkers don't look all that penal. Play this hole 10 times deliberately laying short and 10 times hitting driver and I bet I'd average a lower score hitting driver.
And thanks for posting these @Tenputt . Always enjoy thinking them through.

I look forward to holes like this. Driver to as close as possible to set up highest percentage U/D birdie look. I miss left far more often than right off the tee so I wouldn't even think about that water. I can't carry those bunkers and most of my drives probably wouldn't roll in either. There's enough space there that that half of my 'nukes' would roll between them anyway and even if I did roll in those bunkers don't look all that penal. Play this hole 10 times deliberately laying short and 10 times hitting driver and I bet I'd average a lower score hitting driver.
I am with you. My average score is going to be lower hitting driver, because as long as I hit a decent driver (and driver is one of my better clubs in the bag), I am going to have a 35 yards or less pitch. I feel like I should be able to leave myself a birdie look almost every time from 35 yards or less.

Wind speed and direction would help me make up my mind. No wind or wind at my back driver for sure. Wind in my face 4 hybrid leaving me a full 54 sm8 to the pin

I can't hit a fairway wood to save my life. My longest hybrid is around 180-190. And no guarantee it won't go right. The 3rd hole on my course is a par 5 with a creek running across the fairway about 210 on the left side and 230 on the right. I always choke down the driver and hit an easy swing around 200 yards. It almost always straight with that swing. That is how I would play this hole. Get to 100 and hit a full 52 degree wedge. I doubt getting to 50 yards would make it easier than 100 for me anyway. I hate those in between swings. I'd rather get to a distance I can take a full swing.

Assuming neutral conditions, it's a nice pass at a 4H and the 58 (maybe an easy 54 if no roll) into the green.

4H/5I and a wedge in most days. Unless it was downwind and I was having a great driver day, I don't have 300 in the bag.

Probably hitting 3W off the tee and then some kind of wedge into the green.

It seems like these have been fun for discussion. I am going to look for opportunities to do them during 2021. This is the first for 2021. The hole is about 300 yards. there is a water hazard along the right side. A push/slice leaves you wet. About 245 yards out are bunkers on each side of the fairway. I am posting two photos, one showing just the hole and the other highlighting the water hazard in blue on the right and the bunkers in yellow. The two options are lay up in front of the bunkers at whatever is a comfortable distance to leave yourself with your favorite wedge distance into the green. The other option is to go for it with driver. Which would you choose?

View attachment 8989899View attachment 8989900

Are the trees in play on the left?

I would hit driver try to carry the bunkers then wedge it in.

Hole looks wide OPEN

First hole, I'm taking a steady hybrid 200 - 210 straight down the front. No chance of reaching the bunkers and unless something goes really wrong it's staying dry. Then depending on how far it rolls, either a half 52 or 56 and then 3 putt for bogey :LOL:

Are the trees in play on the left?

I would hit driver try to carry the bunkers then wedge it in.

Hole looks wide OPEN
It would take a massive hook to bring the trees on the left into play. The water on the right is definitely in play if somebody hits a push or a slice. The biggest challenge is simply whether one wants to risk being in a fairway bunker that is only 50-ish yards from the green. I do fine hitting out of most fairway bunkers if my lie is decent, but only with a full swing. A 50 yard bunker shot is very difficult for me to pull off.

It would take a massive hook to bring the trees on the left into play. The water on the right is definitely in play if somebody hits a push or a slice. The biggest challenge is simply whether one wants to risk being in a fairway bunker that is only 50-ish yards from the green. I do fine hitting out of most fairway bunkers if my lie is decent, but only with a full swing. A 50 yard bunker shot is very difficult for me to pull off.

I would rather be 50 yards out in a bunker than 275 when I dribble one off the tee with my 4i lol

5 iron to 100 and then 58* wedge in.

Unless I get it on the green I still have a 2nd shot and possibly short-sided. Better for me to take what the course gives me.

I’m not hitting those bunkers with any club, so I’d probably take a 3w off the tee to setup a wedge shot. Then I’d miss the green with the wedge shot, probably landing pin high off either side of the green. 50/50 chance I screw up the chip shot onto the green and need to take another. Then I’d two putt my way to a bogey or double bogey.

But that’s pretty much every par 4 hole for me.

Used to be 100% go for it. Now I’ve gotta face that they don’t all go 300. If hard and/or downwind I’ll likely go for it. Any kind of wind I’m hitting 7i/full(ish) GW.

I either attack or play very safe. Generally it’s attack but if the risk outweighs the benefits, or depending on how I’m hitting it that day, I don’t fool around with playing it safe.

I’d probably hit 3 hybrid through the middle of the bunkers leaving myself with a little 50 yard pitch to hopefully get inside 10 feet. However with it being the 2nd hole I know there would be days that I’m hopefully -1 through one and if that’s the case I’m stepping on a driver and trying to get to -2

Driver would put all those bad things in play so I'd hit 5w off the tee, leaving a perfect full shot with the 56 degree wedge followed by a 3 putt bogey from 12 feet.

Back