The Incredible Minivan Thread

They certainly can be. But I really don't understand the stigma put in them. Sure soccer moms drive them around with the kiddos but what makes them any worse than driving a Prius around town?

Although I will probably never own one, I never understood it either. They are hella handy with the ease of access to the passenger seats. Only reason I won't is because I grew up with Suburbans and have always liked them.

JB, how many kids do you have?

I want a station wagon in a bad way. Which is worse, van or wagon?

They certainly can be. But I really don't understand the stigma put in them. Sure soccer moms drive them around with the kiddos but what makes them any worse than driving a Prius around town?

They are fine, just very very boring, it's like getting excited about a camry. Practical but boring

hahaha I am so glad there's a minivan thread. I'll only ride in one if Papa Golf4Life or WarEagle are driving though.

I will say, they've come a long way. Doors opening via key, movies, stow and go.. Great stuff.

Although I will probably never own one, I never understood it either. They are hella handy with the ease of access to the passenger seats. Only reason I won't is because I grew up with Suburbans and have always liked them.

Same here, the only thing nowadays is that price tag that comes along with the Suburbans.

The new Mazda 6 wagons look really really good.

hahaha I am so glad there's a minivan thread. I'll only ride in one if Papa Golf4Life or WarEagle are driving though.

I will say, they've come a long way. Doors opening via key, movies, stow and go.. Great stuff.

Dont forget pitch perfect capable speakers.

I want a station wagon in a bad way. Which is worse, van or wagon?

Wagon would the lesser of 2 evils. Especially if it's a BMW. Performance, handling both things you won't get in a minivan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Is there really a minivan thread going on JB? Comon man you need to have a Suv man. I could never imagine driving a minivan with what ever options its got in it. Already got the wife not wanting one when we have kids so all is good here.

I have plenty of vehicles that I think would let me have my man card back. Sometimes its about being practical. At my age if I cared about a persona, I certainly would have bigger issues than what vehicle I use to transport the dogs.

I hear where ya coming from JB. Say I got rid of my truck and ended up getting a 2012 VW Jetta TDI. Yeah not as manly but hey I can get over 50mpg. And yeah I guess were not in highschool anymore so who cares what we drive? What ever works for your situation.
I have plenty of vehicles that I think would let me have my man card back. Sometimes its about being practical. At my age if I cared about a persona, I certainly would have bigger issues than what vehicle I use to transport the dogs.

Sounds like you want a minivan.
Now:
Bring on a Poll! Let's see what the people vote(and grown adults debating which mini-van is best)! :bicker: [just kidding.]

Then i'll go update the snacking thread for the bowl of popcorn i'll make. [not kidding]

:clap:
p.s. i'd go Honda Odyssey, but i'm biased having never putted well with a Sienna... [kidding again][maybe...]

We have a man-van. 2006 Grand Caravan with 155K and counting. It is fine, and has more useful room and entry than a SUV. It has been a great car for us.

My girls are getting older, so I am planning on buying the wife a 2015 VW Sportwagen diesel when they come out, but I am going to keep the van too.

With 3 kids, including 2 in car seats, we had to get a mini-van as most of the 3rd row SUV's didn't have enough cargo space for the double stroller. I really cringed before testing driving the Honda and the Toyota, but after buying the Sienna SE model I couldn't be happier. These things are really practical with little one (power everything), plus they have a ton of cargo space. The ride is extremely quiet, and it handles pretty well too (for a mini-van).

I just traded in our 2006 Odyssey for a 2013 CR-V. It had ~120K miles, and we NEVER had a problem with it. It was a great family vehicle, and I could fit 4 golfers with oversized golf bags, with ease. I'd still be driving it but we wanted a smaller car that would fit in the garage better, get improved mpg, and still fit 4 golfers and equipment.

Just my 2 cents, but Hondas have been good to us.

A friend of mine recently traded in his Dodge Grand Caravan for a Dodge Journey. I can honestly say I was a bit disappointed in him.

Hey JRod, any knowledge of the manufacturers setting the speedometer on minivans to read 10 mph faster than they're actually going? Or do they have governors to limit their speed? Every time I see someone in a minivan they seem to have trouble doing the speed limit :)

two comments:
1) I can't believe I just read through 7 pages of minivan banter
2) I dont understand the minivan thing, my parents had a few of them when I was growing up, and friends of ours have them now and with the third-row of seats being used they really don't seem to have that much room for the "stuff" everyone keeps saying they can cram into them (i.e. golf clubs, shopping bags, etc). If you want to haul more "stuff" you typically have to take the third row out, or I've heard you can fold some into the floor, but either way its a project. Getting into/out of the second row seats are easier, but the thirs row is just as cumbersome to get into/out of than a large SUV. And when it comes to gas mileage, power, possibility to tow, etc it's just not there...

For my money, I'd look into either a diesel SUV, a wagon (preferrably an Audi Allroad), or that goofy looking Ford Flex thing.

Minivans are funny looking but practical. But with that being said, I will never own one and continue to make fun of the dads that are forced to drive one.

two comments:
1) I can't believe I just read through 7 pages of minivan banter
2) I dont understand the minivan thing, my parents had a few of them when I was growing up, and friends of ours have them now and with the third-row of seats being used they really don't seem to have that much room for the "stuff" everyone keeps saying they can cram into them (i.e. golf clubs, shopping bags, etc). If you want to haul more "stuff" you typically have to take the third row out, or I've heard you can fold some into the floor, but either way its a project. Getting into/out of the second row seats are easier, but the thirs row is just as cumbersome to get into/out of than a large SUV. And when it comes to gas mileage, power, possibility to tow, etc it's just not there...

For my money, I'd look into either a diesel SUV, a wagon (preferrably an Audi Allroad), or that goofy looking Ford Flex thing.
1.With most minivans offering two captains chairs for the second row, getting in and out of the 3rd row is no cumbersome at all. Especially since it will be a child back there not a full sized adult.

2. Who buys a minivan for power?

3. MPG not there? 28 hwy, 22 city. Not bad compared to a lot of the full size SUVs.

1.With most minivans offering two captains chairs for the second row, getting in and out of the 3rd row is no cumbersome at all. Especially since it will be a child back there not a full sized adult.

2. Who buys a minivan for power?

3. MPG not there? 28 hwy, 22 city. Not bad compared to a lot of the full size SUVs.

Many full size suvs also offer captains seats, and you can ride comfortably knowing you aren't in a mini-van :)

Ain't even gonna lie, I'd love to have the Honda Odyssey. I don't have kids, but I would take one any day of the week. If that means that I have to shred my man card, so be it.

Many full size suvs also offer captains seats, and you can ride comfortably knowing you aren't in a mini-van :)

Not in the same price range and same mpg

Back