The Incredible Minivan Thread

Man thats a tough one, HOA's are generally pretty good but some rules can use a little flexibility. A sporty minivan with all the bells and whistles would solve it, comfort, luxury, space, and economical, it's a no brainier.

My wife and I bought a 2013 Honda Odyssey back in December, so we have a little time with it. We got the EX-L with rear entertainment center. So far, we really like it. It drives smooth and the automatic doors are spectacular for someone with a couple young kids who have full arms all the time.

We have about 11,000 miles on it and have had no mechanical issues so far. Mileage is average, around 23-24 mpg. The rear view camera is awesome when backing. Another first in a vehicle for us is a hard drive music system. It can store up to 18 CD's on it at any time.

A couple complaints though. The road noise is a little more than I expected it to be. Also, the air conditioning isn't as strong as other vehicles we have had in the past. It works and cools, but it doesn't have an extremely strong fan, so it takes a little longer to cool on very hot days.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask.

Playdough,
I believe if GregDan showed up to work in a Honda, the van would be flipped over literally. We spoke about it at a THP event. As crazy as it sounds, I understand it. To relate it to golf, it would be like the R&D team from Callaway showing up to their weekly company round playing TaylorMade clubs.
I feel the same way about people who work at a Honda plant and buy something other than a Honda. The way I see it, you owe your livelihood to Honda and unless they dont give you an option in the kind of vehicle you want (like say you want a heavy-duty truck), its downright disrespectful to take your paycheck and give the money to another brand.
About the UAW, its all true as well. There was a GM plant not far from where I grew up and if you drove a foreign car, you had to part in a seperate lot about 6 blocks away from the plant and it was well-known that someone was probably going to key your car. Its one of the things that I really hate about the UAW. I actually had the chance to work at that plant in '01 but at the time I was driving a Toyota 4Runner and when they told me Id probably want to strongly consider selling it and getting a UAW-made vehicle, I told them that if that was the case, they knew about it and turned a blind eye that they werent a company who I wanted to work for and I turned around and walked out the door.

Brad Pitt has a minivan.
Think women would find him invisible driving it?

Yes until he gets out, but on the highway I'm sure no women look up to see who's driving.

Yes until he gets out, but on the highway I'm sure no women look up to see who's driving.

I guess the good news is that like him (to some), I have a beautiful woman by my side already in the mini van. While I hope she lets me take it out to the beach and cruise for chicks, my goals with my automobiles are a bit different.

Im curious as to how many posters in this thread go "cruising for chicks" or pick up random chicks on a daily basis because of the car they drive? Apparently, that is what the majority of people are doing, guess I am doing it wrong.

Im curious as to how many posters in this thread go "cruising for chicks" or pick up random chicks on a daily basis because of the car they drive? Apparently, that is what the majority of people are doing, guess I am doing it wrong.

I think we all know, the chicks come cruising for you. My sister has a 2012 Honda Odyssey and loves it. My wife and I have talked about it alot but the pricetag is what scares us off.

Does getting the look from dudes because you are driving a chick car count? If not, some of these hatchback & mini sedan drivers are out.

My brother was given the 2006 vw beetle from my Mother. Only condition was he had to keep the flowers in the in-dash vase there. Doesn't bother him much. I think... At least it's the turbo-diesel version???

personally i could never 'Van' it but thats from early childhood memories of the family van we had. Was a great van (like an early 90's Voyager) until things started to go wrong. Fan belt screeching. headliner drooping. air conditioning going out, etc...
That said the new mini-vans seem worlds different. More like mini- mobile command stations. I personally drive a newer Scion Xb, it's an Urban Utility Vehicle :)

Came for the Minivan, stayed for the Incredible. thread didn't disappoint.

Ya'll keep thinking everyone is solely against the van because of the appearance of a chick car. For me, I enjoy driving, it is always something I have considered fun, and when I find myself on a backroad, I can really have some fun on it. While at this point of my life, its not feasable to own a sports car, it is important to me to own a car that I can enjoy. If I was buying a car to "appear" manly, it wouldn't have been a bright blue Mazda 6. But it is big enough for to be comfortable in, it has a v6 and MT, and it handles pretty well, overall it is an enjoyable driving experience, especially when comparing it to the POS Impala I drive at work. If I were to give up that driving experience, it better have some positive tradeoffs, like the ability to pull toys and get me to places that a car wouldn't take me.

Ya'll keep thinking everyone is solely against the van because of the appearance of a chick car. For me, I enjoy driving, it is always something I have considered fun, and when I find myself on a backroad, I can really have some fun on it. While at this point of my life, its not feasable to own a sports car, it is important to me to own a car that I can enjoy. If I was buying a car to "appear" manly, it wouldn't have been a bright blue Mazda 6. But it is big enough for to be comfortable in, it has a v6 and MT, and it handles pretty well, overall it is an enjoyable driving experience, especially when comparing it to the POS Impala I drive at work. If I were to give up that driving experience, it better have some positive tradeoffs, like the ability to pull toys and get me to places that a car wouldn't take me.

I know, its comical to think people would actually assume that other people (see where this is going :banghead:..."people" said this "people" said that. I'm talking to you, internet tough guy) were being literal talking about cruising for chicks. We ALL have heard the correlation between mini-vans and soccer moms, hence the comments referring to them as not manly (obviously if they are joked as a soccer mom vehicle). This thread is comical and has given me great pleasure reading it :comp:

With that being said, if anyone has advice for cruising for chicks, let me know :act-up:

I know, its comical to think people would actually assume that other people (see where this is going :banghead:..."people" said this "people" said that. I'm talking to you, internet tough guy) were being literal talking about cruising for chicks. We ALL have heard the correlation between mini-vans and soccer moms, hence the comments referring to them as not manly (obviously if they are joked as a soccer mom vehicle). This thread is comical and has given me great pleasure reading it :comp:

With that being said, if anyone has advice for cruising for chicks, let me know :act-up:

Long girlish hair and a BMW M3. I think you got it on lock. Haha

Does getting the look from dudes because you are driving a chick car count? If not, some of these hatchback & mini sedan drivers are out.
I have to say, there are a ton of chicks that dig my current whip.

You are looking at this from YOUR perspective. Other people arent recently married without kids. I have kids, I need something to transport said kids to and from places, that offers room for them so they are not sitting on top of each other beating the crap out of one or another or waking each other up. I also need ample storage space so I am not piling luggage on top of the aforementioned kids.

Im looking for a vehicle for my family, that will make transportation a bit easier and less of a hassle. Having a minivan fits the bill for my current needs, but in 3 years, it is something that I would not need as my oldest will be driving on his own and the two little ones will be out of car seats.

Long girlish hair and a BMW M3. I think you got it on lock. Haha

i have yet to combine the two, that could be a deadly combo.

If you would like, I can give you my wifes number and you can call and make fun of her for wanting a minivan.

I have to say, there are a ton of chicks that dig my current whip.

You are looking at this from YOUR perspective. Other people arent recently married without kids. I have kids, I need something to transport said kids to and from places, that offers room for them so they are not sitting on top of each other beating the crap out of one or another or waking each other up. I also need ample storage space so I am not piling luggage on top of the aforementioned kids.

Im looking for a vehicle for my family, that will make transportation a bit easier and less of a hassle. Having a minivan fits the bill for my current needs, but in 3 years, it is something that I would not need as my oldest will be driving on his own and the two little ones will be out of car seats.

That I get, and I've said so... if it's needed for your family I completely get it. And plus, you are one of the lucky ones, you get to drive the SUV, you are sticking your wife with the minivan.

If you would like, I can give you my wifes number and you can call and make fun of her for wanting a minivan.

Can I have your wife's number so I can just call her and chat about you?

I said earlier in the thread they are perfect for kids. I also would never make fun of someone wanting a mini-van. How you assumed that based off my posts is beyond me :confused2:

Here are my 2 relevant posts in this thread

Spoiler
This thread had me confused with the banter thread.... Non-sense.

Just kidding,

Even though I will never own a minivan, the slide out back doors make them worth it for kids. Otherwise a SUV can accomplish everything else that is needed.

Although I will probably never own one, I never understood it either. They are hella handy with the ease of access to the passenger seats. Only reason I won't is because I grew up with Suburbans and have always liked them.

I will however take great pleasure in reading a Minivan thread on THP where people feel it's necessary to justify why they would or wouldn't get a minivan. Its a discussion that will go nowhere in terms of someone trying to get their point across. However, if the people in the minivan thread would just choose to ignore those who feel it's necessary to belittle men who are considering getting a minivan, I am sure the thread would have been alot more resourceful and an actual meaningful discussion comparing pros and cons of different MINIVANS, not different vehicles.

(Minivan is typed out 8 times in the above post, not counting in this parenthesis. I would safely assume that is the most times I have ever and will ever type that word out :banghead:)

I guess Im at the point in my life where I couldnt care less what other people think about the car I drive. I love my '07 Camry. Yeah, its a boring car but its comfortable, gets great gas milage and thus far (knock on wood) has been very reliable. It gets me where I need to go just as well as a Bimmer, Benz or Audi would and costs much less. Dont get me wrong, Id love to have an Acura TL but not for $50,000.
If anyone worries about what other people think about the car they drive, maybe those people have bigger problems that not driving a car thats not cool.

We have a 2002 Toyota Sienna with 215k miles on it! It has an Appalachian State Mom sticker on it... I drove it to work today. We had zero issues in the first 200k+ miles! You can't beat the dependability of these things. I'm just hoping it holds on for two more years, to get my oldest through undergrad and pay off the one car loan we currently have (on another car). I'm down to one daughter at home now, so I think we'll move from minivan stage to mid size SUV with our next purchase. I was pushing for a porsche, but will definitely lose that one! :banana:

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either the Sienna or Odyssey minivans if you have multiple little kids to trek around.

The Incredible Minivan Thread

I guess the good news is that like him (to some), I have a beautiful woman by my side already in the mini van. While I hope she lets me take it out to the beach and cruise for chicks, my goals with my automobiles are a bit different.

I had a minivan for a few years. I get company cars and for one cycle I chose a minivan. I liked it. It was handy to have. Not fun to drive at all, but very useful.

Kids liked it. Wife liked having it as long as I drove it. She insists that driving a minivan would destroy her libido and we'd never...again.

Who was I to argue. She drives a Mercedes now. Stinker. ?

yzasuvub.jpg

if anyone has advice for cruising for chicks, let me know :act-up:
If they are on the corner looking for a "date" and 1) have all their teeth 2) no open sores......they're cops and your're on camera. :D

It's been fun playing devils advocate about why other vehicles are better than mini-vans. However, they have come along way over the years in design, style, and creature comforts. Mini-vans are very practical vehicles that move the incredible amount of stuff that crumb snatchers need, in comfort. The automatic doors, massive amounts of storage, entertainment systems, captains chairs, ect are just as useful for those that don't have kids. We don't have/need a mini-van and based on our daughter's reaction of "Oh, Yuck!, while doing a rotation through OB, I don't think we will be grandparents anytime soon. Though when that day comes I'm sure we will appreciate how easy it is entering/exiting her mini-van with our walkers.

Lol! I got this flashback to an old commercial - I think it was a Ronco microphone & speaker system that you put in your car. The guys drove by some hot girls & the line was "Hey there good looking! We'll be back to pick you up later!"
So maybe you just need a cool Karaoke car.

My brother was given the 2006 vw beetle from my Mother. Only condition was he had to keep the flowers in the in-dash vase there. Doesn't bother him much. I think... At least it's the turbo-diesel version???

personally i could never 'Van' it but thats from early childhood memories of the family van we had. Was a great van (like an early 90's Voyager) until things started to go wrong. Fan belt screeching. headliner drooping. air conditioning going out, etc...
That said the new mini-vans seem worlds different. More like mini- mobile command stations. I personally drive a newer Scion Xb, it's an Urban Utility Vehicle :)

Came for the Minivan, stayed for the Incredible. thread didn't disappoint.

JB, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the manliest set of wheels out there:
Stripes_450-460x293.jpg

And it wouldn't take much modification for the Urban Assault Vehicle to get those THP colors!

Back