The Incredible Minivan Thread

One thing about minivans - they're hell on tires. Not sure why, but the local tire place & other guys I've talked to agreed. Just replaced the Sienna's tires, & they told me they keep their tires inflated to 40 psi (not the 35 stated in the owners manual) because they found that the tires lasted a lot longer at that pressure.

FYI - thought I'd pass this along.

One thing about minivans - they're hell on tires. Not sure why, but the local tire place & other guys I've talked to agreed. Just replaced the Sienna's tires, & they told me they keep their tires inflated to 40 psi (not the 35 stated in the owners manual) because they found that the tires lasted a lot longer at that pressure.

FYI - thought I'd pass this along.
My guess is that its the weight, especially if they are suggesting that you put more air in the tires. Likely youll gain a couple MPG that way too. The manual states a lower pressure so that it rides smoother but like the tire guys said, that lower pressure will cost you tire wear because the weight of the vehicle puts more of the tire in contact with the road, causing more heat and more wear; hence why they said to up the pressure.

I had a minivan for a few years. I get company cars and for one cycle I chose a minivan. I liked it. It was handy to have. Not fun to drive at all, but very useful.

Kids liked it. Wife liked having it as long as I drove it. She insists that driving a minivan would destroy her libido and we'd never...again.

Who was I to argue. She drives a Mercedes now. Stinker. 

yzasuvub.jpg
You get the minivan, she gets the Benz. Seems fair to me. :thumb:

You get the minivan, she gets the Benz. Seems fair to me. :thumb:

I drive it on weekends :). I have a Taurus this year, but part of me misses the minivan sometimes. Once a parent and homeowner they are so useful. Toyota even makes a Sienna SE that is almost sporty.

Btw, if you lease cars Benz has some incredible programs lately. Our "high-end" Benz cost less than a Ford Edge so it's not as high-brow as it sounds.

I drive it on weekends :). I have a Taurus this year, but part of me misses the minivan sometimes. Once a parent and homeowner they are so useful. Toyota even makes a Sienna SE that is almost sporty.
Id miss the minivan too if I were driving a Taurus. Thats one name that Ford should have never brought back from the dead.
Btw, if you lease cars Benz has some incredible programs lately. Our "high-end" Benz cost less than a Ford Edge so it's not as high-brow as it sounds.
I believe it. Those Edges arent cheap. My brother and his wife looked into getting when they first came out and even with trading in their Lincoln, the payment would have still been almost $700 a month. My response to him when he told me was that for $700 a month, he could trade his Lincoln in on a real luxury car. When you consider that he's a diehard Ford guy, you can imagine that he wasnt very amused by that comment.

Id miss the minivan too if I were driving a Taurus. Thats one name that Ford should have never brought back from the dead.

I actually like the new Taurus. Since redesign, it's been a nice car. Big, quite, nice ride, adequate power. Lots of features on the loaded version. Best of all the seats are very comfortable for me. It's a good buy for its price.

It's not a Mercedes or BMW, but it's fine for me. Put 20k a year on it in comfort.

Bump for Mike

I actually like the new Taurus. Since redesign, it's been a nice car. Big, quite, nice ride, adequate power. Lots of features on the loaded version. Best of all the seats are very comfortable for me. It's a good buy for its price.

It's not a Mercedes or BMW, but it's fine for me. Put 20k a year on it in comfort.

True, it isn't a Mercedes or BMW :D

This thread makes me laugh. Boys will be boys I guess.... I've never been a big proponent of a vehicle making up for ones other Short comings. Drive what ever it is that will get you from point A to B in what ever fashion you'd like. If people have needs for added room for what beer then who am I to judge. Besides there will come a day that JB and GG will most likely need this vehicle to bring more awesome stuff to a group of THPers. Who's going to comment on what they're driving then? Nobody

Nor is it a Camry or Accord, for that matter.

I'd take it over both of those personally. Understand that I choose from a short list of company cars. It isn't what I'd choose if I could choose from anything. Right now I'd be driving the reasonably priced Jag XF 2.0 Turbo for instance. However, its a great car. The magazines beat it up because it's as big as a BMW 7, or Lexus LS, but doesn't ride like one. As if it should at half the price.

It's been trouble free for 40k miles, has a more comfortable interior than the Camry and Accord, great sound system and a huge trunk that easily fits the family gear for a 2-week FL trip. Holds at least 4 golf bags, out of site. Looks much better than both to my eye. Much prettier.

If you keep a car for ten years these two are better, but the rest is just personal preference. It's a fine car in its current generation and a great value at its discounted price. I've had some nice cars over the years, but I honestly like the Taurus at its price point.

Btw, let's return the thread to minivans. No shortage of opinions on cars.

Last edited:
Btw, let's return the thread to minivans. No shortage of opinions on cars.
Now theres something we can agree on. On the rest of it, I have to respectfully disagree. :confused2:

First!!!!

Ha ha, I think there's more to the story.

We got a Honda Odyssey. Its pretty darn awesome.
They ate the last few months of our lease too.

Fancied out I'm sure?

Did war buy a minivan today too?

We took War's advice and went for a moderate package.

At the end of the day, we still don't know if we are going to like being Minivan owners, so rather than spending a ton of money per month for the top of the line, we went with a more moderately priced option that still has the features we wanted and kept us in a comfortable price range. And like JB said, they are eating the remainder of my lease so that worked out well there.

This way, if after the lease we decide we love it then we can buy the one with all the bells and whistles, but if we learn it's not for us, we didn't throw away a ton of money.

We took War's advice and went for a moderate package.

So long as you have what you need, all that matters. Bells and whistles are fun when standard or minimal cost.

Lease eating is also a nice perk. Definitely helpful

Back