The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Okay, so I just got an iPhone.

And I have a brazillion questions, so I was hoping to get some opinions from other iPhone owners.

• What apps would you consider to be mandatory?
I have the Google app, 2DoLite (I lurv lists), Golf Channel mobile, AT&T My Wireless, Pandora, and Dragon Dictation.
  • Can anyone recommend iPhone compatible in-ear headphones they like?
The included headphones w/ microphone are ok, but I prefer in-ear headphones with the rubber caps that come in different sizes. I am NOT an audio snob, so I'm looking for good sound and quality, but at a reasonable price. I will not be paying $80 for the Apple In-Ear Headphones.
Any brands to avoid? Any that generally make a good product for a good price?
  • What is the best way to lock the touch screen?
On the iPod, there is a "Lock" switch so that you don't inadvertently press buttons while the iPod is in your pocket. Is the Sleep/Wake switch the best (only?) way to lock out the touch screen?

For example, if I'm working in the yard listening to music on my iPhone iPod app, if I don't disable the touch screen, the rubbing in my pocket will cause "buttons" to get pushed.

• Will my iPod car charger work with my iPhone?
I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I thought I would ask first.

• Any other tips?
What have you come across while using your iPhone that might be helpful to know?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Your iPod car charger will also charge your iPhone, its the same connection! To unlock your phone, don't you have to slide your finger across the screen?

Your iPod car charger will also charge your iPhone, its the same connection! To unlock your phone, don't you have to slide your finger across the screen?

Yes. I also have a passcode. But I'm talking about a simple function that keeps buttons from getting pushed while it's my pocket. I think the sleep/wake button may be the best option.

The sleep/wake button is pretty much your only option. Ipod function will continue as normal when you lock the screen. The home button also has multiple options/uses when you double tap it.

ipod charger and iphone charger are interchangeable. I have some Shure in-ear headphones, but I doubt they'd meet your cost criterion. Apps, the major tournament ones are fun, but only really useful during the tournament. I have never paid for any, although I like the games and urbanspoon is good if they cover your area. SportsTap is useful too for sporting updates and it's free. Hitting the sleep button locks it for in your pocket and you need to hit the home button and then slide on the screen to unlock it, which is difficult to do by accident. That's about all I have.

I have several apps I use regularly. Shopping List is a good one for keeping grocery lists.
I use the Facebook app quite freqeuntly since my company blocks access to it from my office.

I listen to lots of Audiobooks, but I bought the adapter plug to plug it into my car radio system.

Have you tried the Tapatalk plugin for viewing THP?

I downloaded the free Read Only version to see if I liked it, but I haven't been able to find THP on it.

Hmmm, I thought you just went to the site and it detected the software. Not sure how it works as I don't have an iPhone.

Oh. Let me try that.

It looks like you open the tapatalk app, you find the site in their "Network" list, and you select it.

THP isn't listed as far as I can tell.

Apps I like:

PGA Tour
Eurosport (For soccer updates)
USA Today (for news)
Checkers Free
The Weather Channel
Photoshop Mobile (for improving your pictures)
BigRadar (It gives you a doppler radar for the entire US)
Pandora (free radio with a twist)

All these apps are free. I only paid for one app, Golfshot, and I would say it was not worth the money.

I hope other people list apps they like, it is always fun to find new apps.

My favorite apps:

Around Me (great for finding restaurants and banks, etc in areas you are not familiar with) - free
Shazam (don't know a song that's playing, shazam it, find out what album it's from and the name of the song and then download from iTunes if you want it) -free
Facebook & Twitter - free
ESPN FFL09 - get live updates on my fantasy fb teams and adjust lineups immediately if needed.
NFL Super Fan (from directv) - I can watch any of the NFL games on the phone live, except for the prime times games (MNF, SNF, Thursday Night Football) You need to have the Directv ticket to get this.
DirecTv - If I forget to record a show or hear about something when I am away from the DVR, I can set up the recording with this app.
PGA Tour
Golf Rules - $10 for this app but it has come in handy when I was not sure on a rule
Flixster - Get movie times free
NOAA NWS - great for severe weather updates
Tides - I use this when planning dive trips.
Any of the Storm8 Games

Good luck, it's the best phone out there for me and it works great in my area.

My favorite apps:

Around Me (great for finding restaurants and banks, etc in areas you are not familiar with) - free
Shazam (don't know a song that's playing, shazam it, find out what album it's from and the name of the song and then download from iTunes if you want it) -free
Facebook & Twitter - free
ESPN FFL09 - get live updates on my fantasy fb teams and adjust lineups immediately if needed.
NFL Super Fan (from directv) - I can watch any of the NFL games on the phone live, except for the prime times games (MNF, SNF, Thursday Night Football) You need to have the Directv ticket to get this.
DirecTv - If I forget to record a show or hear about something when I am away from the DVR, I can set up the recording with this app.
PGA Tour
Golf Rules - $10 for this app but it has come in handy when I was not sure on a rule
Flixster - Get movie times free
NOAA NWS - great for severe weather updates
Tides - I use this when planning dive trips.
Any of the Storm8 Games

Good luck, it's the best phone out there for me and it works great in my area.

Congratrs Harry! Welcome to the Dark Side!!! +1 to all of Biggsy choices plus you may want to consider these as well:

Awesome Note (free version works just fine)
Bloomberg (free)
Personal Assistant (free version works just fine)
Pandora (free)
Urbanspoon (free)
Yelp(free)
Kayak (free)
HotelPal (free)
Tracker Lite (free)
DRINKsmart (free)
AllRecipes (free)
F My Life (free)
Drunk Texts (free)
myCaddie (free)
Dragon (free)
Wi-Fi finder (free)
Bump (free)
Skype (free)

Harry,

Not all ipod car chargers will work with the iPhone. If you've had it before the iPhone 3G came out, it most likely will not work. They changed the charging pin on the iPhone 3G. You can buy an adapter that will allow you to use your old one, but it's almost the cost of a new one. The Apple store has them for $19.99. Best Buy charges more.

Apps I use the most:

Yelp
YPmobile (yellow pages mobile)
ESPN
Facebook
Weather Channel

Fun apps:
Shazaam
Apple Remote - iTunes remote
Songbird Remote
WunderRadio
Xmote

Want to put videos on your iPhone? use Handbrake to convert them to iPhone format.

I forgot to mention the most important app out there. It is called the "Missing Manual" and it tells you how to operate all the features of the iPhone including lots of shortcuts that it will takes months to figure out without it.

Thanks guys and gals! I've found a lot of those Apps on my own, but you also reminded me of several others. I'll definitely check out the ones I hadn't heard of before.

Rancho,
I tried my car charger yesterday and it works. Really it's just a USB to cigarette lighter converter plug.

Harry, I just upgraded the tapatalk software for the forum and it should be configured to automaticly identify your iPhone. Give a test if you don't mind and let me know, thank you.

You gotta get one of the various golf GPS applications... Even if you have a GPS, having these are good because many of them will show actual photos, so it's a good complement :)

Harry, I just upgraded the tapatalk software for the forum and it should be configured to automaticly identify your iPhone. Give a test if you don't mind and let me know, thank you.
Worked well on my end.

Rancho,
I tried my car charger yesterday and it works. Really it's just a USB to cigarette lighter converter plug.

Good. You used the cable that came with the iphone then. If you had an old cable, that probably wouldn't work.

Have fun with your iPhone.

Here's another app to play with, TV.com. You can watch clips or full shows of some programs.

Yep, it works. Much easier to read, but I'm still getting used to the format.

Good. You used the cable that came with the iphone then. If you had an old cable, that probably wouldn't work.

Have fun with your iPhone.

Here's another app to play with, TV.com. You can watch clips or full shows of some programs.

I'm downloading all sorts of apps. Right now the one I want is one that adds talking to the Google Maps GPS app. Or maybe Google will just update it after Droid has been out a little while.

1. If you drank I would say drunk dialer is a must, but you dont so its worthless.
    2.Manpoke could be good although the name sound s a bit suspect.
    3. Zit Picker
    4.Sim Stapler, you can simulate stapling on your phone.
    5. The 40 pouring one is pretty important too.

1. If you drank I would say drunk dialer is a must, but you dont so its worthless.
    2.Manpoke could be good although the name sound s a bit suspect.
    3. Zit Picker
    4.Sim Stapler, you can simulate stapling on your phone.
    5. The 40 pouring one is pretty important too.

Only you, Sweetie.

Yep, it works. Much easier to read, but I'm still getting used to the format.

I'm downloading all sorts of apps. Right now the one I want is one that adds talking to the Google Maps GPS app. Or maybe Google will just update it after Droid has been out a little while.

We have that on the Droid. It is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back