The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it works. Much easier to read, but I'm still getting used to the format.

I'm downloading all sorts of apps. Right now the one I want is one that adds talking to the Google Maps GPS app. Or maybe Google will just update it after Droid has been out a little while.

I dont think you will see the same Google maps thats on the Droid on the iPhone. Google and Apple are slowing becoming not so friendly. With Google doing its own phone OS and rumors that Apple is looking to replace Google maps on the next iPhone I dont it will happen. But it is awesome on the Droid.

I have a car charger that doesn't work with the iPhone, but it does with my iPod, so just make sure your version of iPhone is supported.

As far as apps, gotta have these...
  • AirVue Golf (golf GPS)
  • Sportacular (set to Golf news mostly)
  • Facebook
  • Tweetie
  • Palringo (IM)
  • Pandora
  • SoundHound (identify a song)
  • Stanza (an eReader)
  • The Weather Channel
  • 12C Platinum (HP 12C calculator clone)
  • EnjoySudoku
  • and too many other games to shake a stick at...

you have to LOVE your iPhone, fill it with things that fascinate, entertain, and assist you!
Weather Bug
facebook
twitter
vlingo (voice recognition app)
Word Warp
Golf Logix GPS
PGA tour/The Golf Channel /ESPN radio/Sportacular
AP/CNN/NYT/WSJ
1password
Photogene
MyiSwing
Paper Toss

my iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. unlocked means that I am free to use tmobile instead of at&t. My monthly bill is approx half of what it would be with at&t and I have no annual contract. Jailbreaking allows me to run any software code on the phone as opposed to only the code authorized by Apple. I can download countless extensions and themes previously through the App Store via unofficial installers as well as pirated apps. So basically I get all my apps for free. It's good to be a hacker...

my iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. unlocked means that I am free to use tmobile instead of at&t. My monthly bill is approx half of what it would be with at&t and I have no annual contract. Jailbreaking allows me to run any software code on the phone as opposed to only the code authorized by Apple. I can download countless extensions and themes previously through the App Store via unofficial installers as well as pirated apps. So basically I get all my apps for free. It's good to be a hacker...

And you're stealing from the software developers. If you're trying something out, fine, but if you intend to use the app the developer should be paid. If you like an app and would like the app to be supported, then don't steal.

end of rant.

I see both point to this. I love my iphone. I have not used the jailbrake. But if I did Im sure I would love it. The ability to customize is awesome along with being able to use programs that weren't approved by apple. Just because apple approves programs doesnt mean something better isnt out there. If I've paid for my phone, why does apple have any say with what I do with it (as long as its legal)? So much untapped potential in my 3GS. I wish I was better at unlocking it.

As much as I like apple products the company has put the iphone where it is. It sucks for some developers out there, but I'm sure they account for piracy when they set prices. I know I overpaid for my Ochocinco app because now its free. But again, most places now account for this type of thing (doesn't mean it's right in all cases).

My Fav Apps:
Tapatalk, paid version
Echofon
Rotowire
Golf Apps...

And you're stealing from the software developers. If you're trying something out, fine, but if you intend to use the app the developer should be paid. If you like an app and would like the app to be supported, then don't steal.

end of rant.

end of rant.

yeah I get that. I have paid for a lot of the apps I have. stuff like golf gps, etc have to be purchased anyway since the pirated copies are basically only demos with no updates or support and/or require a subscription. Most of the free apps is just dumb stuff I try out once and delete. I'm sorry if you take offense to me not paying the $.99 for such things. I guess I'm "stealing" from at&t/apple too because I figured out that I don't have to adhere to their ridiculous rules?

The new Iphone OS is out (iOS4). I'll be downloading tonight!

ehhhh...I'm gonna wait on that one for now...the last few updates automatically erased all unlocks & jailbreaks. I even heard some people ending up with bricked phones...

I was going to at first... But since Im not jailbreaking I think I'm just gonna do it. If I had jailbreak, I definitely would not. Apple really likes to mess those jailbreaks up.

ehhhh...I'm gonna wait on that one for now...the last few updates automatically erased all unlocks & jailbreaks. I even heard some people ending up with bricked phones...

yeah I get that. I have paid for a lot of the apps I have. stuff like golf gps, etc have to be purchased anyway since the pirated copies are basically only demos with no updates or support and/or require a subscription. Most of the free apps is just dumb stuff I try out once and delete. I'm sorry if you take offense to me not paying the $.99 for such things. I guess I'm "stealing" from at&t/apple too because I figured out that I don't have to adhere to their ridiculous rules?

I think jailbreaking and trying apps out are ok. You should be able to customize and be able to use another carrier if you like. We shouldn't have to waste our money if the software is a piece of crap either. When you said you basically got all your apps for free, is when the red flag went up. Glad you clarified.

yocco- be the guinea pig for us then. let us know what you think before we all download it :)

all the guys I know have downloaded iOS 4 and LOVE it. No issues at all. Just make sure to back up your phone before you upgrade it.

Done and done! You know, its not much different. The multitasking is ok. It's just a toolbar on the bottom that you can pick one app when you're in another. It's defnitely faster and is cool because you dont have to exit the radio! But what I dont like, is I havent figured out how to close the app instead of just switching. Maybe I'm dumb but I would like to be able to close the app if I want.

Choosing a picture for your background is pretty cool. I don't know the phone seems a lot newer to me. It's all in my mind and I have to say, Apple is smart for doing it. I wish we could have themes without jailbreaking and my guess is that will be sometime down the road.

The mailbox set up is cool! I like the fact I have everything in one box if I desire. I have so many email addresses and I need to consolidate. But the mailbox setup makes it so its more like the blackberry. Merged email boxes. Awesome.

The digital zoom is worthless. I tried to zoom in on a dead roach in our elevator at work and the zoom made the image horrid. I think they could've done better. Especially since HD capability is within the iphone hardware.

The main menu bar at the bottom is Ipad'ish. Looks pretty slick. To me, even with all the apps running it's smoother. Oh and the voice control thing is cool. I asked about multitasking and Layla (the iphone) spoke to me. Kinda creepy though.

The install was pretty fast. No issues at all. Very seemless transition.

That's about all I've played with so far. I'm going to be messing around with the folders when I get home today. If you guys have anything you want me to try let me know! It's slow at work today :)

yocco- be the guinea pig for us then. let us know what you think before we all download it :)

all the guys I know have downloaded iOS 4 and LOVE it. No issues at all. Just make sure to back up your phone before you upgrade it.

+1 i downloaded it yesterday and its pretty cool.. a new kinda reflection look on the bottim where the phone, mail, ipod, and safari are for me. its pretty cool. the calculator symbol os different, it shows you where you took the pictures that are in your phone at. so say you took one in florida and live in texas it would show a red pin for where you took that picture at. has some spell checks that you can do when txing, and a few other things, and also some things i havent figured out yet that im sure are a little better.. it took a little over an hour for mine to download and install so give it time and leave it pluged in for the whole time. once it dowloads everything then it will go back and add all your apps and everything else that you had back on there so dont pull the plug out to fast. ( i did and it scared the &*%$ out of me and thought i lost everything, nut plugged it back in and it downloaded the rest) everything seems to work good on mine so far. no complaints..

edit: sorry didnt see your post Yoccos till after i posted mine..

I really want to test out OS 4 but I have my phone so modded I don't want to have to re-do everything. Actually I'm not sure if a jailbreak is out yet for OS 4 anyway.

My greatest fear is that somehow the phone gets bricked and I will be forced to use at&t...or at least need them to fix it. I am praying verizon finally gets rights to the iphone eventually

Ditto. I hate the ATT network. Every now and then I think its the phone. My blackberry bold hardly dropped as many calls.. Still terrible either way!
I really want to test out OS 4 but I have my phone so modded I don't want to have to re-do everything. Actually I'm not sure if a jailbreak is out yet for OS 4 anyway.

My greatest fear is that somehow the phone gets bricked and I will be forced to use at&t...or at least need them to fix it. I am praying verizon finally gets rights to the iphone eventually

well t-mobile sucks too. my girlfriend has at&t on her iphone and its not much better than mine on tmobile. they all seem to suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back