The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So news from CNET says that unlimited data will only be available for initial IPhone subscribers and VZW will then go to a tiered pricing plan after a certain time and the folks who initially got the unlimited plan can "hope" that they will be grandfathered into the new plans.

Tethering will be an extra $20/month for 2GB then pay per use after that.

I'm jumping in!
Can't wait till Thursday morning, hopefully they ship out quick.

Lawsuit claims AT&T iPhone, iPad billing is ‘like a rigged gas pump’

Lawsuit claims AT&T iPhone, iPad billing is ‘like a rigged gas pump’

This from bgr.com- " A complaint has been filed in a federal court in California alleging that AT&T regularly and purposely overcharges iPhone and iPad customers on capped data plans by inflating the amount of data they download to their devices. The complainant, Patrick Hendricks, says that AT&T adds “phantom traffic” to its invoices in order to overcharge users. “AT&T’s billing system for iPhone and iPad data transactions is like a rigged gas pump that charges for a full gallon when it pumps only nine-tenths of a gallon into your car’s tank,” the complaint alleges. Hendricks’ lawyers hired a consulting firm to investigate the matter, and it apparently determined that AT&T regularly balloons data activity by between 7% and 14% — adding that the carrier sometimes overstates data totals by as much as 300%. AT&T said it would fight the lawsuit “vigorously” in a statement to Computerworld."

Awesome.

This from bgr.com- " A complaint has been filed in a federal court in California alleging that AT&T regularly and purposely overcharges iPhone and iPad customers on capped data plans by inflating the amount of data they download to their devices. The complainant, Patrick Hendricks, says that AT&T adds “phantom traffic” to its invoices in order to overcharge users. “AT&T’s billing system for iPhone and iPad data transactions is like a rigged gas pump that charges for a full gallon when it pumps only nine-tenths of a gallon into your car’s tank,” the complaint alleges. Hendricks’ lawyers hired a consulting firm to investigate the matter, and it apparently determined that AT&T regularly balloons data activity by between 7% and 14% — adding that the carrier sometimes overstates data totals by as much as 300%. AT&T said it would fight the lawsuit “vigorously” in a statement to Computerworld."

Awesome.

I'm not suprised. Remember the stories of people who were with Apple from the beginning getting phone bills the size of Telephone books.

Awesome.

Did they hire Michael Bolton from Office Space to write their code? "It's only suppose to be fractions of a penny that no one would ever notice!" :D

I'm wondering...because the BF has the 3Gs and I have the iPhone 4, could he take over my iPhone 4 with AT&T to replace his 3GS and I can get a new iPhone with Verizon? :confused2:

I'm wondering...because the BF has the 3Gs and I have the iPhone 4, could he take over my iPhone 4 with AT&T to replace his 3GS and I can get a new iPhone with Verizon? :confused2:

ahh... very smart. Should be fine. My buddy did the same thing with my Iphone 3g when I went to the 4. I think he had to sign a new contract but he wasn't AT&T before. Your BF might have to jump through a few hoops but it should be fine.

I think it would depend on your contract dates. When do yours and his come due?

I ordered this morning, can't wait!

I think it would depend on your contract dates. When do yours and his come due?

His 3GS is already up, but I just got my iPhone 4 about 4-5 months ago :( The only "real" distance I can see between the two besides the dropped call factor, is that with Verizon you cannot make international calls if you are out of the country and with Verizon, you have to wait 2 full complete years before upgrading whereas AT&T you can upgrade after 1 or so.

Maybe everyone will go to Verizon and that will free up AT&T's network? :D But with Verizon having the iPhone, aren't they just competing with themselves wiht the Android?

The BF has the new Android as well and the internet is actually faster on his Droid than on my iPhone 4. But the iPhone 4 is just more simple and more user friendly.

Maybe everyone will go to Verizon and that will free up AT&T's network? :D But with Verizon having the iPhone, aren't they just competing with themselves wiht the Android?
That could very well happen!
And why wouldn't Verizon want competition within themselves? It doesn't get much better than that for a company.

I have a 3g and overall I've enjoyed owning the phone. It definitely has its limitations but nothing that has been a deal breaker. Personally I am hoping that enough people jump ship to Verizon, and with the reduced load on ATT's network the stability and performance increases.

Even though I am eligible for an upgrade, I am holding out for the iphone5 and hopefully grandfather in my current unlimited data plan.

Got my VZ iPhone in the mail yesterday morning. Absolutely no problems or complaints as of yet, but I have nothing to compare it to data-wise (I've never had a data contract with any carrier before now).

Can't wait until it gets warmer so I can try some golf gps apps!

Rumor has it Apple is releasing a cheaper, smaller, less-featured iPhone in the summer...

Rumor has it Apple is releasing a cheaper, smaller, less-featured iPhone in the summer...

I think the lastest rumor was that there would be 3 versions of the iphone 5, one smaller with virtually now on device storage, one update to the current iphone 4, and another with a full keyboard. The latest wave of rumors about two ipads being repleased this year are really getting annoying. Some seem pretty far fetched. Oh well, i'll just wait for the apple official annoucement!

I wouldn't think that would sell; but that is what I thought about the iPad... Now I can't work without my iPad in tow. : /

My iPhone 3GS is being dumb. This is the 3rd time Ive had problems with the silent/vibration switch on the side. I want to upgrade to the 4 because its metal cased, but they say I have to pay a cancellation fee, or sign with a sister company for another three years and pay the ad price on the phone. Fair enough I guess. We'll see how it works out.

My iPhone 3GS is being dumb. This is the 3rd time Ive had problems with the silent/vibration switch on the side. I want to upgrade to the 4 because its metal cased, but they say I have to pay a cancellation fee, or sign with a sister company for another three years and pay the ad price on the phone. Fair enough I guess. We'll see how it works out.

I had to get a couple of replacement phones with my 3g for a broken silent switc. The Apple store was always really good about just switching out my sim card and giving me a brand new one.

For those that have an iPhone on Verizon's network now....how's it working?

Got one on Verizon last weak, very nice device but I am not an all touch screen guy so this will end up going bye bye. Interface and screen though are very very nice.
Greg

Im outside my warranty period though, any issues?
I had to get a couple of replacement phones with my 3g for a broken silent switc. The Apple store was always really good about just switching out my sim card and giving me a brand new one.

For those that have an iPhone on Verizon's network now....how's it working?
No problems whatsoever. Data is fast everywhere, no calls dropped.

Interesting numbers from a few of the bigger more prominent Apple stores for the first few days of the Verizon iPhone showing Verizon vs Att sales over the same period:

* Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539
* Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680
* Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471
* Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701
* Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618

Not that impressed.

kinda expected that....initial rush then tailing off.....but oveall not a huge mass migration....cancellation fees can do that to you
Interesting numbers from a few of the bigger more prominent Apple stores for the first few days of the Verizon iPhone showing Verizon vs Att sales over the same period:

* Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539
* Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680
* Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471
* Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701
* Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618

Not that impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back