The Jordan Spieth Thread

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
What in Spieth's bag?

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/12/14/spieth-turns-pro/

By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM
Jordan Spieth has decided to forego his final two years at the University of Texas to turn pro, he announced on Friday.
The 19-year-old was a first team All-American, helping the Longhorns to a national championship and was named the Big 12 Conference Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year. He was also one of three finalists for the 2012 Ben Hogan Award, presented annually to the nation’s top amateur golfer.
Spieth is one of only two players — Tiger Woods is the other — to have won multiple U.S. Junior Amateur titles, which he did in 2009 and 2011. He also reached No. 1 in the World Amateur Golf Rankings earlier this year before ending the season at No. 8.
"The decision to turn pro was a difficult one, but I’m looking forward to the challenge of competing at the highest level and accomplishing the many goals I’ve set for myself on and off the course," Spieth said in a statement. "I owe everything I’ve achieved thus far to the support of my family, friends, teammates, and the University of Texas. While I’m proud of what my teammates and I have accomplished, I couldn’t be more excited to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a professional golfer. "
It is likely that Spieth will make his professional debut during the West Coast Swing with an announcement expected within the next few weeks. An endorsement deal is also expected to be announced in that time frame, according to Spieth’s agent Jay Danzi.
Spieth can receive up to seven sponsor exemptions on the PGA TOUR and unlimited exemptions on the Web.com Tour. He can also Monday qualify or try to gain entry into TOUR events by finishing in the top 10 in the previous week’s event in most cases.
In eight starts on the PGA TOUR as an amateur, Spieth made the cut five times, finishing in the top 25 twice. His best result was a tie for 16th at the 2010 HP Byron Nelson Championship, where he became the sixth-youngest player to make the cut in a TOUR event and was tied for seventh heading into the final round.
He was also the low amateur at this year’s U.S. Open at The Olympic Club, where he tied for 21st.
Spieth made one start on the Web.com Tour, tying for 44th at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Invitational earlier this year.
As an amateur, he was a standout member of the 2011 Walker Cup team. Though the U.S. lost to Great Britain & Ireland, Spieth did his part, winning a pair of singles matches and halving a foursomes match.
As a freshman at Texas, he also won three events and led the team in scoring average.

I hate this decision. He is not ready and should have stayed at least another year. He could use the web.com to cut his teeth before mixing it up with the big boys.

5 of 8 cuts, not ready yet?

I'm not sure what to think but I look forward to seeing what he does. What is his status on the PGA tour? How many starts is he guaranteed?

That's right, not even close. Nothing to lose as a sophomore in College. The pressure will be completely different as a pro. He has no status on the tour and will have to play his way on, more pressure. Fields are deeper and he isn't even as good as RF (1 win in 5 yrs)

He is good but joining to avoid the new path to the tour is the wrong reason.

That's right, not even close. Nothing to lose as a sophomore in College. The pressure will be completely different as a pro. He has no status on the tour and will have to play his way on, more pressure. Fields are deeper and he isn't even as good as RF (1 win in 5 yrs)

He is good but joining to avoid the new path to the tour is the wrong reason.
I agree. There are no shortcuts. Qschool got him by 3 strokes BEFORE the finals. That was against guys no one has heard of. Playing against the heavies will cause his fresh face to break out like a high school freshman. I do hope he proves me wrong, though.

He should have stayed in College one more year...he is going to have to rely on sponsors exemptions and Monday Qualifiers to get into fields....sure he will get into the 4 tour stops in Texas I'm sure....but other than that he is going to have to struggle to make it.

I hope he has success. With so much talent and pressure he could find himself in a rough spot if he fails the first couple of years.

I won't have too much sorrow for him regardless as I'm sure he will pull in a buttload of endorsement deals.

It will be I teresting to see who he signs with for equipment. I personally think he should of stayed at college, golfers leaving college early to get in tour doesn't have the same impact as other professional sports. The longevity of a golfers career is so much more that I feel he would of benefited from more college golf in the long run. Time will tell I guess

I hate this decision. He is not ready and should have stayed at least another year. He could use the web.com to cut his teeth before mixing it up with the big boys.

Well said Freddie. I totally agree.

I hope he has success. With so much talent and pressure he could find himself in a rough spot if he fails the first couple of years.

I won't have too much sorrow for him regardless as I'm sure he will pull in a buttload of endorsement deals.

Because if his name he will sign lucrative deals up front. And if he draws a blank there is a chance he's making PGA endorsement money as a web.com player. I'd make him prove himself first, heavy incentives to get cash.
Remember Justin Rose when he played great at the British then turned pro, 0-18 or something like. I hope JS does better, but make him earn his way.

Is this player X for Callaway?

Because if his name he will sign lucrative deals up front. And if he draws a blank there is a chance he's making PGA endorsement money as a web.com player. I'd make him prove himself first, heavy incentives to get cash.
Remember Justin Rose when he played great at the British then turned pro, 0-18 or something like. I hope JS does better, but make him earn his way.

I don't view him any differently than Cantlay and I never heard any news about him getting big money thrown at him. Could be wrong but I don't see Jordan getting anything too extravagant thrown his way until he is making waves.

Bad choice. I'm not sure what he has to gain leaving early. I don't get why all these kids think the "new" way to tour is so terrible. You can still get full equipment deals and a decent living on the Web.com tour, cut your teeth, gain the needed professional skills at level and probably be one of the top 10 players on that tour.

There are countless pros who make more than 1/2 their cuts and end up back at Q-School every year.

One thing I'm confused about is the path to getting a card. I've heard that with the recent changes leaving school early isn't the best option any longer. But I don't really understand how or why. Can someone explain how this works now? Is it 100% through the .com tour? If so, how does one earn a place in that tour?

I'm not sure what to think but I look forward to seeing what he does. What is his status on the PGA tour? How many starts is he guaranteed?
+

Spieth has no status on tour. As a non-member, he can receive up to seven sponsor exemptions on the PGA TOUR and unlimited exemptions on the Web.com Tour. He can also Monday qualify or try to gain entry into TOUR events by finishing in the top 10 in the previous week’s event in most cases.

This link will take you to the PGA Tour Categories, which determine a player's priority ranking for the year. This list has been updated to show everyone's status for 2013.
http://www.pgatour.com/r/player_exemptions/

WITB:
Earlier this year, he had an all Titleist bag. 910's, AP2's, Vokeys and Scotty.

One thing I'm confused about is the path to getting a card. I've heard that with the recent changes leaving school early isn't the best option any longer. But I don't really understand how or why. Can someone explain how this works now? Is it 100% through the .com tour? If so, how does one earn a place in that tour?

By my understanding you only have x amount of sponsor exemptions and the fall series really no longer exsits. Q-School is basicly the Web.com playoffs now. The top 75 from the web.com and the top 125-200 from the PGA tour money list battle it out for I think 25 Tour Cards. The way of getting on tour and making the Top 125 on the Money list is still there, but supposedly made much harder. I think thats the short version of it, but someone with more knowledge of it feel free to chime in.

Starting next year, 1/2 of the tour cards have to be earned through a new Finals Tournament.
http://www.pgatour.com/2012/h/12/12/eligibility/index.html

Eligibility for the Finals will be as follows:
• The top-75 money winners on the Web.com Tour money list at the conclusion of the Web.com Tour regular season.
• Players who finish 126-200 on the PGA TOUR's FedExCup points list at the conclusion of the PGA TOUR's regular season.
• Non-members who have earned enough FedExCup points based on their performance on the PGA TOUR to place them 126-200 on that points list.

The 50 PGA TOUR cards will be awarded as follows:
The 25 leading money winners on the Web.com Tour will be guaranteed cards at the end of the regular season.
• Another 25 cards will go to those players who earn the most cumulative money in the four Finals events.

A Web.com Tour Finals money list reflecting earnings in the four Finals' events will be in effect, with all players starting with $0. For those in the Finals, a player's finish on the Finals' money list will determine his position within the PGA TOUR priority ranking, which is used to form fields for TOUR events, with two exceptions. The Web.com Tour's leading money winner during the regular season and the player who earns the most money during the Web.com Tour Finals will be fully exempt, meaning each is guaranteed a spot in PGA TOUR events the following season (excluding invitationals). Both will earn invitations to THE PLAYERS.

The 48 remaining players will be slotted next in priority after the top 125 off the FedExCup points list. The 2013-14 PGA TOUR season will start in October, 2013.

The field size for all four Finals' tournaments is projected to be around 144 players, depending on overlap between players and other eligibility for the PGA TOUR.
The tournaments will have purses of $1 million, with first prize being $180,000.
They will be 72-hole stroke-play events, with a 36-hole cut coming at the Web.com Tour's standard 60 and ties.

The 50 PGA TOUR cards will be awarded as follows:
The 25 leading money winners on the Web.com Tour will be guaranteed cards at the end of the regular season.
• Another 25 cards will go to those players who earn the most cumulative money in the four Finals events.

So theoretically the 126th place money winner on the full tour could win more money than the 25th place person on the web.com tour (and assuming he didn't do well in the final four events) but not get a card. Very interesting.

So theoretically the 126th place money winner on the full tour could win more money than the 25th place person on the web.com tour (and assuming he didn't do well in the final four events) but not get a card. Very interesting.

It will interesting to see the what the new categories will look like. Currently, 126-150 still have conditional status. So, while #126 may not "have a card", I would guess that they will still be able to get into 12-15 events.

Look at Justin Rose he done fantastic as an amateur then turned pro and it was like hell for him. Granted he's don't great now but his career could have been so much better earlier on if he took a little more toile to turn pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

good for him, lets hope he can cope (little ryhme there) with the big dogs

Back