The Lawn Mower Thread

I've got a Troy Bilt Pony that helps me cover my half acre pretty quickly. I've also got an older Craftsman 21" with a Honda motor that decided to crap out a few weeks ago. I only use it for edging around the gardens and house perimeter, but it's still useful. I can almost guarantee the carburetor is gummed up, just haven't had a chance to clean it out.

I have a Self Propelled AWD Husqvarna that I recently bought and it is a dream to push/walk behind. I have a Craftsman 42" riding mower that has been great as well.

I am using a 1958 Craftsman push mower that I got from my wife's grandpa lol.

No bells, no whistles, but starts everytime and cuts great.

I can't even remember what brand it is. Hand me down push mower from my fiance's dad. Good mower though, starts on 1st or 2nd pull every time.

How often does everyone sharpen/replace blades?

I have a John Deere Zero turn with Hydraulic lift deck. I cut a about 1.75 acres. Can do it in about an hour and 15 mins. I have 70 trees to go around. Love being able to raise and lower the deck from the handles. Makes going over the lip on drive way much easier. Holds 7 gallons of gas. Can cut 4 times on a full tank.

Have mine serviced over the winter by my dealer...I'm not good at mechanical things.

Anyone have experience with the Toro Timesaver? 30" cutting deck walk behind. Reviews seem to be good, but there are a few out there that bash it (mostly commercial users). Looking to cut down time to mow (currently 3+ hrs) without getting a ride on.

I have too much area to cut, but was always interested in the cordless, robotic lawn mowers like a Worx Landroid.... sort of like a Roomba for your lawn.

I think you lay down wiring, much like an invisible fence for your pets, and then the thing undocks at a programmed time, cuts the lawn and then docks up again to recharge... gets decent reviews too... if I had a 1/4 acre or so to cut, I'd give it a shot. until then, I'm the Lawn Ranger on my JD 2305

Anyone have experience with the Toro Timesaver? 30" cutting deck walk behind. Reviews seem to be good, but there are a few out there that bash it (mostly commercial users). Looking to cut down time to mow (currently 3+ hrs) without getting a ride on.

No hands on experience with that mower, but I'm a fan of Toro in general. Like I said in an earlier post, my 22" Recycler has been pretty much bulletproof, so I would expect the same sort of performance/reliability throughout the line. Also, FWIW, my neighbor has a Timecutter Z and loves it.

Toro cuts are awesome!!!

I have too much area to cut, but was always interested in the cordless, robotic lawn mowers like a Worx Landroid.... sort of like a Roomba for your lawn.

I think you lay down wiring, much like an invisible fence for your pets, and then the thing undocks at a programmed time, cuts the lawn and then docks up again to recharge... gets decent reviews too... if I had a 1/4 acre or so to cut, I'd give it a shot. until then, I'm the Lawn Ranger on my JD 2305
I know it's probably as safe or safer than traditional. But good Lord does that scare me to death.

No hands on experience with that mower, but I'm a fan of Toro in general. Like I said in an earlier post, my 22" Recycler has been pretty much bulletproof, so I would expect the same sort of performance/reliability throughout the line. Also, FWIW, my neighbor has a Timecutter Z and loves it.

Toro cuts are awesome!!!

I'm leaning more and more towards it as most of the negative reviews are of guys that have 200-300hrs on it per year! I hope to put maybe 60-70/year and usually take good care of my equipment.

I'm leaning more and more towards it as most of the negative reviews are of guys that have 200-300hrs on it per year! I hope to put maybe 60-70/year and usually take good care of my equipment.

Yeah, there's a reason warranty coverage differs between commercial and residential use. A $1000 Toro is not designed to put up with the same abuse as a $3000 Exmark.

I put, maybe, 25 hours a year on my Simplicity, but I wouldn't hold it to the same standards as i would its big brother Ferris, even though they come out of the same factory.

All of the above are quality machines. I think the Toro will serve you well for the hours you intend to use it.

The Lawn Mower Thread

Yeah, there's a reason warranty coverage differs between commercial and residential use. A $1000 Toro is not designed to put up with the same abuse as a $3000 Exmark.

I put, maybe, 25 hours a year on my Simplicity, but I wouldn't hold it to the same standards as i would its big brother Ferris, even though they come out of the same factory.

All of the above are quality machines. I think the Toro will serve you well for the hours you intend to use it.

There's a $3000 Exmark?

Edit: I stopped skimming and saw the discussion was centering on walk-behinds. Still, there's a $3000 Exmark?

I find rocks, sticks, etc. pretty often. I replace every other year and sharpen twice in the keeper year.

There's a $3000 Exmark?

Edit: I stopped skimming and saw the discussion was centering on walk-behinds. Still, there's a $3000 Exmark?

Actually not sure. I would think their smaller walk-behinds could be had in that sort of price range.

I could be wrong.

Those with ZTR, do you mulch or bag? Looking to go bagger-less if I can

Side discharge only, I don't mulch or bag with my ZT. On the rare occasion that my grass gets away from me, I just double-/cross-cut and spread out the clippings that way. Z's are so much fun that that extra step really isn't much of a chore. And if you're striping, it's an opportunity to really clean up the look.

I have 2 acre's I'm mowing with a 30hp Bad Boy Commercial grade. Push mower is a Honda and a Echo trimmer.

I'm a stripe guy.
3ca35a69fb191a6c1924816a4a7c3972.jpg
2a3167180b39f26d37ffdd711a89cb06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I mulch. Mulched clippings add nitrogen to your soil for greener turf. And leaves it looking cleaner than side discharge. Sometimes it leaves a row of clippings along the path. Just raise the deck a half inch or more and run the row over and it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharpen my blades every week and replace them as needed. I cut 20 properties a week and currently have 4 sets of blades for my mower. I keep them all sharp so I basically just rotate the set out each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have literally a barn full of mowers, combined between the two of us when we married 4 years ago, and some bought new since. For our 2-1/2 acres of mowing from the barn to the road, we have a Dixon ZTR42 zeroturn, a Husqvarna YT42XLS rider, a Husqvarna 21" self-propelled, an old Weedeater 22" push mower, and Husqy and Echo line trimmers. For the pasture behind the barn, we have an LS XR3135HC tractor w/King Kutter 5' rotary cutter.

Mowing machines.JPG

Back