The Lawn Mower Thread

View attachment 8939000

Standard suburban dad lawnmower :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:- Sometimes I get to have fun at my dad's house with the Exmark
View attachment 8939006
I had a Toro for 8 yrs until I blew it up. I literally crack the motor
It work great for me. I brought it out for the 1st time one year & it started right up like normal.
Within a few seconds I hear the motor change it's sound, knew something was wrong.
As I reached it, the sound had wound up & it blew.
I'd take a picture of the scar I have but you cannot see it unless I have some sort of tan.
It's a nice slice through my shin/calf.
I wish I knew if the motor had gone bad or if I failed to put enough oil in it or something.

If I ever get back to Kentucky Bluegrass or a yard down here with Bermuda I'm going to buy a green master and reel cut my yard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bought a husky mz6128 zero turn in 2012 and still grinding away every other day. I almost bought a new one the other day, but nothing really wrong with mine other than engine getting a bit weak. I think it is time to put a new engine on it. I could rebuild the one on it, but just don't have the time because golf would take priority over engine rebuilding. That does show I have my priorities in correct order. :cool:

I upgraded from a residential Cub Cadet zero turn, to a Scag Patriot a few years ago. So glad I did it. The Patriot isnt top of the line like some others, but i felt it was a good value. I've been really enjoying it and feel it sit wells between a residential and full commercial line of mowers. I went from an hour plus to just under 40 minutes to mow my 1.25 acre lot. Puts down some nice stripes too!
View attachment 8939001
I can imagine this in a cross cut

I can imagine this in a cross cut
I add diagonal stripes as well, and really like how that adds to the look. I'll have to get another picture of that once it gets a bit nicer. That picture I included is from last year.

Very jealous of your yards. I've got a Honda push mower that is about two years old that does the job! I've got a decent sized yard and growing up I always mowed the yard and to this day I still love it! Forever home HAS to have a yard big enough for a riding lawn mower.

I’ve been eyeing this one every time I stop in my lawn care equipment dealer. I could cut the entire neighbor hood in 3 minutes.
View attachment 8939011

Typical sunday afternoon spent mowing the lawn I think not! Billy Badass refines yard work!

I add diagonal stripes as well, and really like how that adds to the look. I'll have to get another picture of that once it gets a bit nicer. That picture I included is from last year.

I do my yard like that. One left to right or up and down the yard and one at a diagonal. I vary the process each time so i do not mow the same pattern or direction, i feel it creates ruts or wheel tracks. The other reason i do it is because when you mow, some grass gets lain down by the wheel and does not really get cut at the same length as the rest, corossing allows all the grass to be cut evenly. Not to mention, it looks freakin awesome

Bought a husky mz6128 zero turn in 2012 and still grinding away every other day. I almost bought a new one the other day, but nothing really wrong with mine other than engine getting a bit weak. I think it is time to put a new engine on it. I could rebuild the one on it, but just don't have the time because golf would take priority over engine rebuilding. That does show I have my priorities in correct order. :cool:
I doubt your engine needs rebuilt. Does it burn oil? foul spark plugs? The most common thing that mowers need is a valve adjustment.

Nothing fancy, but a cleanup/tuneup and oil change on my mower yesterday. Had a grand time in the garage all afternoon enjoying the weather.

The downside? Realizing you bought the wrong spark plug based on a picture in your phone.... and have no clue what machine that spark plug came off of.

I doubt your engine needs rebuilt. Does it burn oil? foul spark plugs? The most common thing that mowers need is a valve adjustment.
Yep could be. I have been lazy about checking it. I did put the "notorious" leaking Briggs crankcase gasket in some months back when I had a spare moment.

Yep could be. I have been lazy about checking it. I did put the "notorious" leaking Briggs crankcase gasket in some months back when I had a spare moment.
I am assuming it is an OHV engine. If so remove the valve cover and spark plug. rotate engine by hand until the piston is all the way up with both valves closed. Set the lash at .005 on both valves. Most of the time you can reuse the valve cover gasket, if it sticks you can replace it or use silicone instead.

Anyone use an electric, rechargeable mower? I don't have a big yard. It's <.25 acres so I wouldn't need the longest of run times. I like my electric weedeater so far so thinking I might give the mower a try, too.

Been using a Craftsman M230 over the last year, and have been very pleased. Has the FWD and gets the job done! Any recommendations on blade sharpening?

View attachment 8938986

I was looking at these and the Toro similar models the other day because I need a new push mower.

I was looking at these and the Toro similar models the other day because I need a new push mower.

I highly recommend it. I have used it for over a year and it has been very reliable, starts on the first or second pull every time, mows clean and the replacement blades are inexpensive as well. You can find it at Lowes on sale frequently.

I operate a lawn equipment dealership. I would be happy to answer any questions THP'rs have about lawn equipment or repairs.

This is awesome of you to put out there, thanks so much! I love our THP membership.

For me - I'm running a SCAG 48" belt drive walk-behind on a hilly and oddly shaped lawn footprint. It does a fantastic job and cuts time down immensely. Lot is too sloped for a zero turn or riding mower... I had a Husqvarna riding mower but with the sloped yard was just too worried about someday ending up underneath a flipped over machine with blades still spinning.

I also have a Honda 21" mower about 4 years old, that I use on teh edges and as a brush hog :oops:. The thing is pretty darn worked TBH. Does anyone make a replacement drive tire for a Honda push mower that has real rubber tread or (gasp) pneumatic inflation? The stock plastic drive tires are smoked and never gripped worth a darn in the first place. In truth, I should probably stop treating it like a Troy-Bilt with snow-hog tires 😂

I do my yard like that. One left to right or up and down the yard and one at a diagonal. I vary the process each time so i do not mow the same pattern or direction, i feel it creates ruts or wheel tracks. The other reason i do it is because when you mow, some grass gets lain down by the wheel and does not really get cut at the same length as the rest, corossing allows all the grass to be cut evenly. Not to mention, it looks freakin awesome
I do it for all those reasons. But the look is the cherry on top!

I highly recommend it. I have used it for over a year and it has been very reliable, starts on the first or second pull every time, mows clean and the replacement blades are inexpensive as well. You can find it at Lowes on sale frequently.

Seemed like a good unit. I'm seeing a couple of the vertical fold ones that interest me for the space savings, esp during the winter.

Anyone use an electric, rechargeable mower? I don't have a big yard. It's <.25 acres so I wouldn't need the longest of run times. I like my electric weedeater so far so thinking I might give the mower a try, too.
I bought a GreenWorks 25302 three years ago and it has plenty of power and runtime to cut .25 acres easily. The issue I have with it is it's not self-propelled. You don't think that would make a big difference and maybe with a gas mower that has a different rake design it wouldn't but pushing this thing even in a small yard is a legit workout. If I was close to you I'd let you have it. Once I learned that the only problems I ever had with gas mowers was using gas that had ethanol in it, I bought a Toro self-propelled gas mower for $250 and have been happily using that ever since. It starts first pull even after sitting all winter half full of gas. Ethanol in gas for small engines makes it a cancer that will destroy your equipment and cause you endless heartache and pain. A station near me sells 100% gasoline straight from the pump and once I switched, all my equipment starts and runs as reliably as any modern automobile, or electric mower for that matter.

I bought a GreenWorks 25302 three years ago and it has plenty of power and runtime to cut .25 acres easily. The issue I have with it is it's not self-propelled. You don't think that would make a big difference and maybe with a gas mower that has a different rake design it wouldn't but pushing this thing even in a small yard is a legit workout. If I was close to you I'd let you have it. Once I learned that the only problems I ever had with gas mowers was using gas that had ethanol in it, I bought a Toro self-propelled gas mower for $250 and have been happily using that ever since. It starts first pull even after sitting all winter half full of gas. Ethanol in gas for small engines makes it a cancer that will destroy your equipment and cause you endless heartache and pain. A station near me sells 100% gasoline straight from the pump and once I switched, all my equipment starts and runs as reliably as any modern automobile, or electric mower for that matter.

Good info. I can imagine pushing an electric mower would be more difficult to push around than a gas mower. Add on the bag and it would get cumbersome. I guess I just figured the electric mowers would most all be mulching mowers so the weight wouldn't pile up.

Good info. I can imagine pushing an electric mower would be more difficult to push around than a gas mower. Add on the bag and it would get cumbersome. I guess I just figured the electric mowers would most all be mulching mowers so the weight wouldn't pile up.
Mine is a mulching mower, the problem is the way the deck is designed creates a lot of drag going through the turf. It's pretty light so if it didn't drag then pushing it would be a breeze.

This is awesome of you to put out there, thanks so much! I love our THP membership.

For me - I'm running a SCAG 48" belt drive walk-behind on a hilly and oddly shaped lawn footprint. It does a fantastic job and cuts time down immensely. Lot is too sloped for a zero turn or riding mower... I had a Husqvarna riding mower but with the sloped yard was just too worried about someday ending up underneath a flipped over machine with blades still spinning.

I also have a Honda 21" mower about 4 years old, that I use on teh edges and as a brush hog :oops:. The thing is pretty darn worked TBH. Does anyone make a replacement drive tire for a Honda push mower that has real rubber tread or (gasp) pneumatic inflation? The stock plastic drive tires are smoked and never gripped worth a darn in the first place. In truth, I should probably stop treating it like a Troy-Bilt with snow-hog tires 😂
The commercial Honda 21" has rubber tires but they don't grip all that well either. The tread on the plastic tires is not really that effective but you will probably see a small traction improvement. Tighten up the self propel cable a smidge and it will work better regardless.

Back