The Lawn Mower Thread

Just 'upgraded' from a toro to my cousin's (her husband passes, shes and moving out of state) ez walk craftsman

20200424_114130.jpg

Gotta do my first cut tomorrow, these weeds came out of nowhere after a couple days of rain

Ready to put this to work. Picked it up last night. B4987DD8-C785-44FA-9240-C578FF968311.jpeg

Did you add the stripper yourself or did you purchase it with the lawnmower? I love my stripper.
I saw that too! Looks like it would lay some nice stripes.

Some beautiful lawns!

I’ve got a Craftsman tractor and push mower for our yard. Troy Bilt edger for finish work.

Used to really enjoy pushing my reel mower at the old house. But not really a viable option with the yard we have now. Something about the sound it makes is just super comforting.

Did you add the stripper yourself or did you purchase it with the lawnmower? I love my stripper.

I added it on last night when I brought the mower home. Love the Checkmate lawn stripers.

Tune up on my Craftsman mower this spring has it working as good as when I first bought it!

I fear this year is going to be brutal for my lawn. Dethatched and then got hit with a snowfall. Cold weather, no rain, and then go from frost to 25 degrees C in the daytime. Everything is stunted so far. Don't know that I am gonna get to use the mower all that often this year :(

I’m going to sound like the old man “get off my lawn guy”. This drives me nuts. I take great pride in my lawn and don’t have a dog. But we have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood and clearly a few are on meds that kill my grass. I really wish the dogs would just avoid my yard!
65473942-FECF-450A-B515-F312F92325AB.jpeg

I’m going to sound like the old man “get off my lawn guy”. This drives me nuts. I take great pride in my lawn and don’t have a dog. But we have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood and clearly a few are on meds that kill my grass. I really wish the dogs would just avoid my yard!
View attachment 8946681
Sounds like some signs might be in order... so unfortunate this happens, especially in someone's lawn who takes care if it.

Sounds like some signs might be in order... so unfortunate this happens, especially in someone's lawn who takes care if it.
I don’t want to be that guy. But believe me it pisses me off.

After many decades of loyal service my old 1960s Craftsman mower gave up the ghost.
I bought a new Lawn Boy push mower to replace it. It works fine but after 2 uses I already wish I bought the Toro for $80 more.

The lowest cut setting isn't as low as I'd like and you can't take your hand off the engine lever without it turning off (no idle mode).

I take care of my equipment. Nothing crazy, just change the oil, clean/replace the air filters, grease when applicable, use gas stabilizer, replace worn parts myself when necessary and try not abuse it. As a result, all the power equipment - mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, chain saws - stays running... for a long time.

At the end of 2018, my 1999 Scotts Lawn tractor finally blew out a transmission. I've used this mower on two homes and both my kids used it on the neighbor's lawns for a several years when they were young. After a ton of research, I bought a John Deere S240 42" cut and couldn't be happier. Still, I looked up the Scotts transmission issue and saw that - even though that transmission is not serviceable - there was a fix. So this past winter I tore it apart, replaced the spline, belt pulley and fluid and now have two working riders.

The trouble is, I have a ton of trees on part of my 2 acres. Maneuvering through them with the rider is a pain in the ass. So I use my 26 year old push mower in those areas. This mower doesn't burn oil, has decent power and does what is needed. The only thing it lacks is a grass catcher to collect some of the debris.

The trouble is, I kind of want a new push mower.

I started it up for the first time yesterday to mow the areas where the Deere wouldn't fit. I noticed it was leaking gas and thought, cool, now I can get a new one. Not so fast. The rubber fuel line was just cracked and will be replaced for just a couple of bucks.

So what do you folks do? Am I nuts for wanting something new? (Rhetorical question, I am crazy.) Do you keep equipment until it absolutely makes no more sense to fix it? Or do you replace it every so often with better models?

I don’t want to be that guy. But believe me it pisses me off.
I had this happen a lot in my last place and I would seed, water, and cover the areas dogs liked. The owners kept them off when they saw work being done but they always come back

View attachment 8946681

I have dealt with this issue as well along with many others. In regards to the dog thing, I live in a culdesac and I knew exactly who's dog it was. So, i kindly went over the door and knocked on it and explained my passion for my lawn and they took very well to it. I have not noticed the dog in the yard since. I have also had it go the other way and the lady/man scream at me and said, their dog is outside and he can pee on God's earth anywhere he wants to.

My dog makes the brown spots ... Not on meds sorry on behalf of dog owners...

On another note, my yard heavy shade in the back is looking the best it has in a long time. healthy full and lush green! :love:

I finally got tired of gas powered mowers and picked up a Ryobi 20" cut electric. My yard isn't that large where I need a riding mower... even though I'd like to have one I can't justify it to my wife. I like it, little maintenance required, and it does it's job. The only problem I have is my yard isn't lush and thick so it's difficult to see where I've mowed already to line up the next pass...

I take care of my equipment. Nothing crazy, just change the oil, clean/replace the air filters, grease when applicable, use gas stabilizer, replace worn parts myself when necessary and try not abuse it. As a result, all the power equipment - mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, chain saws - stays running... for a long time.

At the end of 2018, my 1999 Scotts Lawn tractor finally blew out a transmission. I've used this mower on two homes and both my kids used it on the neighbor's lawns for a several years when they were young. After a ton of research, I bought a John Deere S240 42" cut and couldn't be happier. Still, I looked up the Scotts transmission issue and saw that - even though that transmission is not serviceable - there was a fix. So this past winter I tore it apart, replaced the spline, belt pulley and fluid and now have two working riders.

The trouble is, I have a ton of trees on part of my 2 acres. Maneuvering through them with the rider is a pain in the ass. So I use my 26 year old push mower in those areas. This mower doesn't burn oil, has decent power and does what is needed. The only thing it lacks is a grass catcher to collect some of the debris.

The trouble is, I kind of want a new push mower.

I started it up for the first time yesterday to mow the areas where the Deere wouldn't fit. I noticed it was leaking gas and thought, cool, now I can get a new one. Not so fast. The rubber fuel line was just cracked and will be replaced for just a couple of bucks.

So what do you folks do? Am I nuts for wanting something new? (Rhetorical question, I am crazy.) Do you keep equipment until it absolutely makes no more sense to fix it? Or do you replace it every so often with better models?
Nope, you're not nuts. If you want it, get it. You earned it by taking care of what you have. Enjoy the new stuff to take care of as well!

Is there a better sense of accomplishment when you walk out and see some crisp lines in green grass... be it the fairway or home lawn ?

Do you notice others lawns during parties? Have I aged that quickly?!

Is there a better sense of accomplishment when you walk out and see some crisp lines in green grass... be it the fairway or home lawn ?

Do you notice others lawns during parties? Have I aged that quickly?!
I enjoy taking pride in what I own. I think it is a reflection of me and my family. Be it the lawn, the landscaping, general home upkeep. Nothing like pride in a job well done!

Back