The Lawn Mower Thread

I have one of these as well, to cut between some raised beds, around my apple trees, and the kids playset. Love it. Gives a much better cut than a rotary mower.
Yeah, I love mine. I love things that are vintage and nostalgic and this mower is perfect for me. My neibors always look at me mowing my yard with my little reel mower and some ask me if those things actually work, especially when the grass gets taller and then they see it rip through the grass and knock it down like nothing.
I want to get a better mower at some point in time, on that has more blades and is wider. Mine is only a 4-blade and it struggles a bit in thicker grass. It will still cut it but it takes a few passes and even then it leaves a few stray blades of grass. Its nothing that I cant go back and buzz with the trimmer.
When I got a reel mower, I wanted to get a cheap one incase I didnt like it but now that I know that I love reel mowers and want to continue to use one, Id like to get a better one. Im looking at the Scotts Pro. Its 18" wide and has 7 blades.

Yeah, I love mine. I love things that are vintage and nostalgic and this mower is perfect for me. My neibors always look at me mowing my yard with my little reel mower and some ask me if those things actually work, especially when the grass gets taller and then they see it rip through the grass and knock it down like nothing.
I want to get a better mower at some point in time, on that has more blades and is wider. Mine is only a 4-blade and it struggles a bit in thicker grass. It will still cut it but it takes a few passes and even then it leaves a few stray blades of grass. Its nothing that I cant go back and buzz with the trimmer.
When I got a reel mower, I wanted to get a cheap one incase I didnt like it but now that I know that I love reel mowers and want to continue to use one, Id like to get a better one. Im looking at the Scotts Pro. Its 18" wide and has 7 blades.
I have an old one too, but its great for what I need. Take a look at Swardman if you want a modern day powered reel mower! Crazy prices, so more of a wow than reality. I'll stick to manual power!

I'm mowing my 0.4 acre with a 21" Honda Harmony push mower that is in its sixth season. I have a John Deere LT155 tractor in pieces in the shed as I am putting the belt drive for the tranny back together, an Echo string trimmer, and a few hand and battery clippers.

But I bought the new Honda mower when my old one, about fifteen years old, developed a crack in the left front wheel housing and so wouldn't cut evenly or roll straight. I figured I'd reinforce the housing and give it to one of the kids, but neither wanted it. So, finally, this evening, as part of my cleanup campaign, I pulled the old Honda out of the shed to see whether I should put it on Craigslist. I checked the oil, added some gas for the first time since 2014, set the choke, and pulled the cord.

It started on the first freakin pull. My newer one doesn't always do that.

I have a Mountfield 297411048/M17 / HP41 petrol rotary lawnmower, and I like it because it does the job well, and it's very lightweight. I don't have a trim mower though, and I want to get one, but I can't decide the model. When I bought my mower, I read some articles on houseandgardencare.com and that's why I got it. Now that I found this thread I would like some feedback about a good trim mover. I know it's not that expensive, but still, I don't want to give my money on a product that will break in a month or so.

Last edited:
Just bought another Husqvarna MZT61. First one was the older version and has run about 9 years now and I still have it. Plan to overhaul the engine, give the mower a once over and replace a few much needed things.

1591797991922.png

OP here, so glad to see this thread come to life again. My gear hasn’t changed, but here’s quick pic from my backyard:
D74CA6C7-F9C9-444E-8961-A929D5B7CF32.jpeg

I am putting in a 61’ french drain and I went to Lowe’s to pick up grass seed. When I looked at the contents labeled, everything they sell is less than 50% seed by weight. For instance a “contractor“ 20 lbs bag of Pennington seed was $38 for 20 lbs. Of that, 50% was inerts (the **** they spray on the seed), 40% fescue blend, 9% annual rye and 1% other. The more expensive blends actually contained less seed but more fescue.

I was just looking for value since I know it won’t really take well in June since it’s cool season grass. i just wanted something cheap and quick that will germinate.

I was agitated that I drove 20 miles to my normal place. Awesome 50lb bag of winning colors fescue blend - $99 for the best fescue seed out there.

Avoid the big box stores for seed. The garden centers are so much better.

Before and after edging.
4776e7d9057932821c1a1844ae0dda16.jpg
8b14b1a4d596795b50070f3a51f3357f.jpg
98f556a8f9421836981adaf4b00cddf4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Here's my entire lawn care arsenal; i've got a 1/2 acre lot and these 2 little machines kick its ass regularly (20"in. cut mower & corded B&D weedeater). They're all you need for such a small area to maintain. :cool:

mower.jpgweedeater.jpeg

I am putting in a 61’ french drain and I went to Lowe’s to pick up grass seed. When I looked at the contents labeled, everything they sell is less than 50% seed by weight. For instance a “contractor“ 20 lbs bag of Pennington seed was $38 for 20 lbs. Of that, 50% was inerts (the **** they spray on the seed), 40% fescue blend, 9% annual rye and 1% other. The more expensive blends actually contained less seed but more fescue.

I was just looking for value since I know it won’t really take well in June since it’s cool season grass. i just wanted something cheap and quick that will germinate.

I was agitated that I drove 20 miles to my normal place. Awesome 50lb bag of winning colors fescue blend - $99 for the best fescue seed out there.

Avoid the big box stores for seed. The garden centers are so much better.

This is so true. I always looks at weed seed %. Even a .01% still mean thousands of weed seeds in a 50 lb bag. You pay for what you get!

This is so true. I always looks at weed seed %. Even a .01% still mean thousands of weed seeds in a 50 lb bag. You pay for what you get!
What kills me is that even the premium seed that goes for nearly $60 for 20lbs is actually only 9.5 lbs of seed. Over 50% of the weight comes from the stuff they spray on it that claims less watering. Heck their seed only has a germination rate between 82% and 85%.

There is a reason why the good sod farms around here use winning colors.
DB6858B2-D728-4B1A-A8FF-5883FF889B1C.jpeg

I got this seed mix for my fall overseed last year. Shocking that there are 227,000 seeds per pound, so even a small % means a lot of "other" and/or weed seed. And I agree about the coatings, a waste of your money, IMO. If you can water regularly, and provide a mulch, like straw, you will be successful without coatings. 20190809_222153.jpg

Attachments

• 20190809_222142.jpg
    20190809_222142.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6
First time mowing with a self propelled mower today and holy hell what a difference. I grabbed a Toro SmartStow RWD mower earlier in the week and after one run, I couldn't be happier. The Smart Stow feature is something that will come in handy for me since I only have a 1 car garage, so the extra little bit of space is nice.

Toro super cycler4 "personal pace." Toro magnesium deck with a honda engine. It's light and has paid for itself long ago in the first season. My yard is a disaster. Did some seed/dirt for the front yard to keep it a little presentable. But the rest all needs professional help and a total re-do. I'm moving. Had it with this yard. Too much. (n)

After many decades of loyal service my old 1960s Craftsman mower gave up the ghost.
I bought a new Lawn Boy push mower to replace it. It works fine but after 2 uses I already wish I bought the Toro for $80 more.

The lowest cut setting isn't as low as I'd like and you can't take your hand off the engine lever without it turning off (no idle mode).
Mower continues to get the job done, but I continue to have buyers remorse. Wish I didn't cheap out this time around...sigh.

Mower continues to get the job done, but I continue to have buyers remorse. Wish I didn't cheap out this time around...sigh.
I use a piece of velcro strap on the push handle of my toro to keep the blade clutch engaged in case I want to let go to pick something up, etc. and not have to re-start. Shh... don't tell the authorities! ;) Neighbor thought it was genius the other day. :LOL:

I wouldn’t worry about it. Toro and Lawn Boy are the same machines now, off the same factory line, with just a few different features from model to model, usually based on price.

My Toro PP Recycler Is one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

Happy mowing!!!

I use a piece of velcro strap on the push handle of my toro to keep the blade clutch engaged in case I want to let go to pick something up, etc. and not have to re-start. Shh... don't tell the authorities! ;) Neighbor thought it was genius the other day. :LOL:

I might borrow this idea haha

I ended up buying a Greenworks Pro 60V self propelled and used it today. Impressed, so quiet.

I ended up buying a Greenworks Pro 60V self propelled and used it today. Impressed, so quiet.
I've gone electric in my blower and string trimmer and love the lower noise level. No drop off in power either.

I'm on year 2 of my Greenworks Pro pressure washer and really enjoy it. No issues thus far and has enough power for what I need to do. Wash cars, clean the porch and patio.

I've gone electric in my blower and string trimmer and love the lower noise level. No drop off in power either.

I'm on year 2 of my Greenworks Pro pressure washer and really enjoy it. No issues thus far and has enough power for what I need to do. Wash cars, clean the porch and patio.

I have had cheap WORX blower and trimmers and they are okay, but the mower appears rock solid. Might add an edger soon if Greenworks has one in the 60v

I have had cheap WORX blower and trimmers and they are okay, but the mower appears rock solid. Might add an edger soon if Greenworks has one in the 60v
They should. They have a good 60V outdoor power equipment line.

Back