The Less Than Full Swing

deleted, it was a double post...???

My loss of distance which has occurred pushes me to play to hit further than what I use to. Lay up isn't per se in my vocabulary. What might occur is to lay up to a distance and mishit and have too much distance....So unless there is specific hazard ahead which requires a lay up...I don't. I have also developed 3/4 shots with sw/gw/pw/9/8 for more control and wind and during normal conditions cover the distance points between clubs. The strength of my game is hitting proper distances inside of 140. Aim, well sometimes...Ha

I have often play tee shots with full wedge shots or gap wedges in mind. Half wedges are more difficult than full, at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As much as I can. It’s not super creative or revolutionary, but I often times, depending on other variables, will drop a club and do a lesser swing. Gives me much more control and always results in good shots.

This was a facet I had to force myself to not only learn How to hit, but learn how fun it can be.

I used to full swing a 60 about 115. Then one day I asked myself what the f**k that gained me? Answer was nothing.

Handicap pretty much immediately dropped.

I avoid the "laying up to a yardage" thing like the plague.
Would much rather try my luck with a partial wedge shot, than being farther back and having to hit a full iron shot.

Despite it being a more difficult shot, I would much rather play a partial wedge.

Like playing a variety of different shots. Sometime because I have no choice but too.
The 90 punch shot with 50 yards of slice? I have had to play that a time or 2!

I love being able to flight a shot down, if that is from 180 or 60 yards. Or hitting a 3/4 lob wedge that hops once and stops.

As much as I can. It’s not super creative or revolutionary, but I often times, depending on other variables, will drop a club and do a lesser swing. Gives me much more control and always results in good shots.
I do this too and the rewards are much better for me. My buddy tends to swing a full swing and his accuracy suffers for it. He always questions why I am shooting a 6i when he is shooting a 7i or even 8i. Another benefit is that I don't tire down so bad as when taking the full out swings.

I try and go with the safe shot but I do have some creativity when trying to hit some shots

Obviously, as a high capper, it's hard enough hitting distances using just a full swing. Still, in addition to the modified or partial swing with 9i and less, I've found I can effectively control distance with longer clubs like my 5w by gripping down and shortening my backswing.

I think with that club in particular, it's out of necessity as there's a large gap with clubs I can depend on between my 6i and 5w. In addition, slowing everything down usually helps in making solid contact - even if it's with a slower club head speed.

The round I played a while back using just 4 clubs really opened my eyes to how well even someone at my level can "feel" how much less than a full swing is needed to hit a certain distance.

I was very good with partial shots when I practiced them before kids and marriage. Since then I mostly lay back on par 4’s and par 5’s to ideally 88 yards for a full LW. If I can’t get closer than 30 yards it’s better for my scoring to lay back as I make more birdies with a full LW or SW than I do with approach shots from 30 to 70 yards.

I like trying different shots. Often due to trouble I get myself into.

Carrying 5 wedges, you have to be creative. I enjoy doing creative shots .

I like to play with trajectory and shape on approach shots, using shorter swings to control spin make the game even more fun to me.

I use a lot of partial shots, 1/4, 1/2, 3,4 with different clubs. Use those a lot.

It’s something I’ve been working on last few years but this year really gonna put some work into.

I started playing with a starter set. Odd numbered irons only. So I learned how to hit 1/2 and 3/4 shots early. Today it is second nature for me to take the club back to 9 o'clock and hit a partial shot with most any club in the bag. This really helps these days I am not able to reach most of the par 4's or par 5's anymore due to lack of distance on my clubs. I almost always have something from 20 to 100 yards to the green. Creating a shot is just automatic now.

I play all kinds of knocks downs, half and 3/4 shots some by choice others to play under trees, into slopes, roll ups, ect

Don't really have a good handle of partial swings in my game yet.

I prefer to have a full shot (100-125) on approach but I will attempt to manufacture a shot based on yardage.

I can do 3/4 and half shots with wedges, maybe my 9, but I don't really do quarter shots with 9 or P.. would rather up it to my 54

I love playing half & 3/4 shots all the time. Whether it's to take spin off a shot, shot into the wind, swing easy, etc. I hit wedges like this all the time instead of full swings (y)

Very important in windy conditions not just with wedges but through the bag I think. It makes playing par 3's in high winds much easier.

If I need to shave off some distance on a specific yardage I'll simply grip further down the club and still take my full swing.

The 3/4 shot is something I work on sometimes but not enough to bring it into a round.

I don't like to hit a full swing with anything more lofted than a PW so end up with a lot of half swings for anything around 60-120 yards.

My 54* full swing is an 80-85 yard proposition, so I'm with that guy. Full swing until that point. I have hard enough time with repeatability, so this is the correct approach for me at my current state of my game. I do use 3/4 and 1/2 swings inside of that, but over it, I am much better off with a normal swing than trying to make a "feel" shot at those distances.

Back