The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

So 48 guys show up somewhere in Asia, call it “LIV International” and find folks to compete against?
I believe they will be joining the player list of events that already exist (not all 48 for each tourney obviously)

Edit - looks like they are created new international tournaments with the asian tour and it won't be from existing events

Last edited:
Wonder what kind of cluster the LI

Where are these other players coming from? I thought there were only 48 people on LIV?
Since LIV wasn't able to get any cooperation with the PGA Tour, they had to change their model and are going to become a separate tour with more events with larger fields to supplements their large purse invitational events. This would allow for other players to earn spots into the main LIV events, as well as an avenue for the big names that were banned by their home tours a place to accumulate OWGR points, assuming the more traditional tour receives approval.

Of course, had Monahan even picked up the phone when it rang, LIV could have been relegated to WGC/silly season sideshow events, instead of having to flex the money muscle to get players and build an entire tour. Maybe the DP world tour can send their 11-20th best golfers there after each season.

Wonder what kind of cluster the LI

Where are these other players coming from? I thought there were only 48 people on LIV?

Not sure, but probably from every tour except PGA because PGA, of course is banning players. LIV has stated that they plan on having 144 player events.

By not awarding ANY points to LIV players, the OWGR is only taking away from the Majors and their supposed gathering of the "best in the world" and robbing the fans of the opportunity to see ALL the best players in those few key events. Certainly not all the LIV players would or should necessarily qualify for the Majors, but there are enough that have to be considered world-class players.

By not awarding ANY points to LIV players, the OWGR is only taking away from the Majors and their supposed gathering of the "best in the world" and robbing the fans of the opportunity to see ALL the best players in those few key events. Certainly not all the LIV players would or should necessarily qualify for the Majors, but there are enough that have to be considered world-class players.
This is my contention as well. Are you really ranking the world's best golfers if you purposefully omit some of the world's best golfers? The legitimacy of the rankings takes a big hit when after enough time, you see DJ and Cam smith ranked below Joe Shlabotnik who is the 1164th ranked golfer in the world.

This is my contention as well. Are you really ranking the world's best golfers if you purposefully omit some of the world's best golfers? The legitimacy of the rankings takes a big hit when after enough time, you see DJ and Cam smith ranked below Joe Shlabotnik who is the 1164th ranked golfer in the world.
It all makes sense when you realize that OWGR is not a ranking system, but a filter for the PGA to suppress any competition. ;)

Last edited:
That's a fair argument right now, but for how long? if DJ and Cam are only playing LIV how can they be ranked knowing they are not playing any events that meet the criteria for competitive golf?

And LIV and it's fans have to stop trying to muscle their way into this, they're not the bosses here, they've been around for all of 3 months, so too bad if their players aren't ranked right now.

Yes we all know Cam Smith is a top player, but a year from now who knows? who cares? golf has a very short memory.

So the solution to that is to adjust the requirements to acknowledge a tour that currently fits 0 of the requirements?

No, the solution to that is for the OWGR folks to recognize there is a new league, one that plays a slightly different format and consists of many currently ranked players that are deserving of world ranking points, and simply award points according.

The folks at OWGR already have formulas for how to award points for different event formats and different tours, there is no reason a minor tweak to the specifications cannot be achieved.

Businesses, governments and ruling bodies change plans, specifications, regulations and guidelines all the time. Those changes are usually in an effort to stay up with the times and are a reaction to a new product or issue that has arisen. This is no different.

I am not saying it should happen immediately or even this year, but I do believe if the folks at OWGR are doing their jobs, they would have something in place starting next season.

Why is professional golf 72 holes? One of the reasons professional golf is 72 holes with a cut is because they can't afford to pay everyone and need the 4 days of TV coverage to pay the bills.

Maybe professional golf should be 54 holes with no cut and smaller top finish payouts. It is a little ridiculous how much money top finishes get. One first-place finish in a PGA event would be life-changing financially for most of us. Why not spread that money out a little to other Tour members? Rory is flying around in his own private jet while other tour members are barely able to pay their caddie. The PIP is another ridiculous way of distributing PGA money, most professional golfers don't want to be Tik Tok stars, did Tiger who didn't really play need a few more million dollars from PIP? The way the PGA distributes money is too lopsided. How about the caddies getting some guaranteed money instead of Monahan flying private all over the world for personal play?

Also, with 54 holes, more top players would probably play more tournaments, maybe just keep the majors to 72 holes.
Maybe the 72-hole model is antiquated and 54 is the new 72. Was the PGA BMW Championship any less exciting because of 54 holes? The fact the PGA has recently made so many changes so abruptly is a signal that change in professional golf is needed. I know I'm going to get laughed off this forum for thinking this way but I must admit I enjoy the 54-hole format with no cut better, it's nice to see all players getting some money, call me crazy, but I bet 54 holes would also cut down on injuries.

I bet many professional golfers would agree with me but they would never admit it because of fear of backlash. Ironic that the LPGA tournament this weekend is 54 holes. So not only does the OWGR need to be revamped but professional golf as a whole needs to be rethought. It's not like professional golf is getting boatloads of new viewers as viewership has been relatively flat.

That's a fair argument right now, but for how long? if DJ and Cam are only playing LIV how can they be ranked knowing they are not playing any events that meet the criteria for competitive golf?

And LIV and it's fans have to stop trying to muscle their way into this, they're not the bosses here, they've been around for all of 3 months, so too bad if their players aren't ranked right now.

Yes we all know Cam Smith is a top player, but a year from now who knows? who cares? golf has a very short memory.
Cam, DJ, Phil, Bryson, and Brooks ahave some exemptions remaining after their recent Major wins, not to mention some lifetime exemptions from other LIV golfers. Golf’s memory will not be as short as you want it to be.

Why does it always have to be a horse, why not an opossum or something🤷‍♂️
I prefer a dog chasing its tail in a circle.

Why is professional golf 72 holes? One of the reasons professional golf is 72 holes with a cut is because they can't afford to pay everyone and need the 4 days of TV coverage to pay the bills.

Maybe professional golf should be 54 holes with no cut and smaller top finish payouts. It is a little ridiculous how much money top finishes get. One first-place finish in a PGA event would be life-changing financially for most of us. Why not spread that money out a little to other Tour members? Rory is flying around in his own private jet while other tour members are barely able to pay their caddie. The PIP is another ridiculous way of distributing PGA money, most professional golfers don't want to be Tik Tok stars, did Tiger who didn't really play need a few more million dollars from PIP? The way the PGA distributes money is too lopsided. How about the caddies getting some guaranteed money instead of Monahan flying private all over the world for personal play?

Also, with 54 holes, more top players would probably play more tournaments, maybe just keep the majors to 72 holes.
Maybe the 72-hole model is antiquated and 54 is the new 72. Was the PGA BMW Championship any less exciting because of 54 holes? The fact the PGA has recently made so many changes so abruptly is a signal that change in professional golf is needed. I know I'm going to get laughed off this forum for thinking this way but I must admit I enjoy the 54-hole format with no cut better, it's nice to see all players getting some money, call me crazy, but I bet 54 holes would also cut down on injuries.

I bet many professional golfers would agree with me but they would never admit it because of fear of backlash. Ironic that the LPGA tournament this weekend is 54 holes. So not only does the OWGR need to be revamped but professional golf as a whole needs to be rethought. It's not like professional golf is getting boatloads of new viewers as viewership has been relatively flat.
Are you saying maybe LIV should spread that $25M per event purse to more than just 48 golfers?

Why does it always have to be a horse, why not an opossum or something🤷‍♂️
I don't have a clue but I thought we was past OWGR discussion 200 pages ago :banghead::LOL:

How worthy is the competition between the same 48 guys every week?
Why is the hole 4-1/4”?
Why not just play 9 holes?
Why not make a tournament 36 holes?
Why not flag football?
Why should the world of golf change because Greg Norman wants it to?
Why does a washed up golfer like Phil Mickelson even bother?
How many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

I don't have a clue but I thought we was past OWGR discussion 200 pages ago :banghead:
I made the mistake of posting the letter the LIV golfers sent to the OGWR Chairman thinking people could be adults. This one’s on me.

I don't have a clue but I thought we was past OWGR discussion 200 pages ago :banghead::LOL:
LIV golf just sent a letter to OGWR signed by all its members, so yeah it is now a current topic for LIV again

So 48 guys show up somewhere in Asia, call it “LIV International” and find folks to compete against?

Yes, and the four Korean players on the international prez cup team, as well as many other Asian golfers would be happy to see it. 👍

I’m trying to keep an optimistic view ln LIV events receiving OWGR recognition. I feel it’s a matter of time. Problem for its current golfers (and us fans) is that it has taken years for new leagues to receive this certification, and with only 5 events so far and a few quirks to the tournament, it’s likely to take a while.

Golfers signing up should have been made aware of this (I believe they were) but are pressuring in hopes the request gets expedited treatment. I can’t blame them.

I have no idea the status of other events that also get OWGR points but 54 holes and smaller fields...there are some things to work through to make point allocation equitable, even putting all the LIV/PGAT hatred to the side.

Back