The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Paying for airtime seems like quite the departure from enormous interest from multiple networks. Curious to see how Norman spins this one.
Greg Norman will spin this well along with most THP fans, as they should. As a startup I would think that Television in the U.S. would be a top priority. I also think that he sold the Saudis based on the TV rights that the pgatour had at $400M per year and recently increased it to $700M per year for 2022-2030.

Greg may have to pay up front until he proves that his product can compete in the U. S market.
If he overpays for a couple of top ten players next year, he might be able to succeed in 2023 or completely fall on his face. IMO

Here's a thought, and mind you, I'm an idiot: If LIV did have potential broadcast suitors who weren't willing to pull the trigger, could buying air time on a channel that is already in a lot of homes be an opportunity to put themselves in front of viewers and then provide better numbers of what could be possible? Perhaps a sort of, "Here's what we did with streaming on our own, here's what we did with this channel, imagine what we could do with you?"
That's logical for a startup. If the ratings are great then you can renegotiate. First order of business (get rid of the lawsuits) IMO

"Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments."

1. Greg's Fiction...

“We’re talking to four different networks, and live conversations where offers are being put on the table,” he told ESPN. “They can see what we’re delivering.”

2. Greg's Reality...

"A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp."

3. Greg's Options.

Buy Airtime. Gotta start somewhere. YouTube is not doing it.
Your sequence of events is backward, LIV asked to buy Fox Sports airtime for the first event to get it off the ground, it didn't pan out so LIV went to YouTube but now after a few events there may be renewed talks of a LIV and Fox Sports deal. The sequence of events is important for context, I realize it doesn't fit your narrative, but that is how it played out so far.

Paying for airtime seems like quite the departure from enormous interest from multiple networks. Curious to see how Norman spins this one.
But, but, but this is all about making a profit right? Not about PR, right? Then why are they going the infomercial route? Isn't this what infomercials do, buy airtime to promote a product?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

But, but, but this is all about making a profit right? Not about PR, right? Then why are they going the infomercial route? Isn't this what infomercials do, buy airtime to promote a product?

Don’t be silly, it’s about growing the product.

It's almost like in business you may need to lose money upfront to gain revenue down the road.

Are there any Australian media outlets looking to pick up LIV?

Just caught up to make sure this thread is still a beacon of open-mindedness and positive thinking.

Yep. Doing great. :LOL:
The Mods referred to this thread as a "debate" and are totally cool with it, so don't expect anything to change anytime soon. The ignore button works well for those who are totally unreasonable, or as they told me if you don't like it, leave. Which was great advice as many other popular golf forums have put a stop to cross-trolling on both PGA and LIV threads. ;)

• WTF
Reactions: JB
The Mods referred to this thread as a "debate" and are totally cool with it, so don't expect anything to change anytime soon. The ignore button works well for those who are totally unreasonable, or as they told me if you don't like it, leave. Which was great advice as many other popular golf forums have put a stop to cross-trolling on both PGA and LIV threads. ;)
Its not hard to quote our post, rather than spinning it.
There is so many amazing things happening on this forum every day, if someone wants to camp out and argue on a single thread, so be it. As long as it follows our simple rules of civility and no politics.

In the end, we know it/they won't last long.

I will be interested in how the deal changes the end product. I am assuming there will be commercials now... 🤷‍♂️
If they're buying airtime, I can't imagine there will be commercials. If Fox Sports manages to sell commercials on airtime that's already purchased...their sales team deserve raises 😄

I haven't watched a tournament for more than a few minutes since The Open, and not for the last three weeks. Lost interest.

This is me, and from what I can tell, a lot of others at the club I belong to. Used to be golf on TV pretty much any time I went in and lately not much. General vibe from asking people is that their enjoyment of playing is fine but interest in watching due to the messiness is greatly diminished.

If they're buying airtime, I can't imagine there will be commercials. If Fox Sports manages to sell commercials on airtime that's already purchased...their sales team deserve raises 😄
For years (a decade or so ago) there were entities that bought airtime on cable stations. They then were given blocks and could sell their own commercials, to make up for the purchase. I have no idea if this is being done, nor do I believe Norman is the promoter that could pull it off, but Vince McMahon did this for a long time as did a few others.

Speaking of all this TV, how many have seen LIV on somewhere there were at?

It's been on at one course I was at, and 2 stores. Both recently. Took a bit for them to come around and they also had to be shown how to play YouTube on their TVs. :LOL:

Seems crazy to me that they’d have to buy airtime
Why? Who else is gong to pay for it? The networks only buy the product as long as they can sell advertising to pay for it. Currently no one want to associate with Saudi Arabia commercially, so no advertisements

Why? Who else is gong to pay for it? The networks only buy the product as long as they can sell advertising to pay for it. Currently no one want to associate with Saudi Arabia commercially, so no advertisements
I don't believe that most people care that much about SA, so I don't think that is the primary factor at play.

It's almost like in business you may need to lose money upfront to gain revenue down the road.
Sure, but they spent a heckuva lot of money to buy some serious talent to find out that there is basically no market interest. I am surprised but hopeful it fails. It's not good for golf fans.

I don't believe that most people care that much about SA, so I don't think that is the primary factor at play.
I agree its not foremost in most peoples minds but companies trade heavily on reputation and the Saudis appalling human rights record still weighs heavily on the decision to be seen as a partner of theirs.

Lets not forget, the whole reason behind LIV is to legitimize/normalize Saudi Arabia as a commercial entity. They dont give a sh!t about golf

While not a LIV golf fan I still find it hard to believe that they will pay for airtime. with the #2 player in the world teeing, it up for them.

Your sequence of events is backward, LIV asked to buy Fox Sports airtime for the first event to get it off the ground, it didn't pan out so LIV went to YouTube but now after a few events there may be renewed talks of a LIV and Fox Sports deal. The sequence of events is important for context, I realize it doesn't fit your narrative, but that is how it played out so far.

Not my narrative -- it's from the article many of us have been quoting today. I haven't watched much pro golf since The Open. Probably will not unless it's a major. I'd like them to clear up this mess. If LIV wants to do their "different" thing, or new way of golf, okay. I think Greg overrates it, but we will see what develops. I'd rather play than watch anyway.

Not my narrative -- it's from the article many of us have been quoting today. I haven't watched much pro golf since The Open. Probably will not unless it's a major. I'd like them to clear up this mess. If LIV wants to do their "different" thing, or new way of golf, okay. I think Greg overrates it, but we will see what develops. I'd rather play than watch anyway.
Part of the problem is nowadays media can no longer be unbiased, just like nowadays society has become all about choosing a side. I'm old and it wasn't always like this but it is what it is.
Speaking of "different" golf I look forward to checking out Stadium golf that the PGA will no doubt "overrate"

Welp, still stuck in the house riding out this storm, I hope the electricity stays on so I can watch some golf "any" golf today. It's been a long time since I haven't played golf in 3 consecutive days. Clubs are all cleaned, shiny and ready to go. Go away Ian!

I read an article earlier this morning that said that LIV will sell commercial time to help offset some of the costs of buying airtime and production costs. Will be interesting to see if they do or just go commercial free aka YouTube.

I read an article earlier this morning that said that LIV will sell commercial time to help offset some of the costs of buying airtime and production costs. Will be interesting to see if they do or just go commercial free aka YouTube.
Buying airtime is not as uncommon as its making it out for upstarts.
It also involves paying for full production, but gives the rights to all commercials sales.

If this was any other group, I don't think they would have to buy air time necessarily, but the PGA Tour has a lot of partners and very few were going to be willing to buck that.

Back