The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

This assumes LIV won’t just start upping the money to get the players they want. Which Brooks stated that’s exactly what they will do. And monohan said they can’t compete with that. PGA tour is fine now. But will they be if 80% of the best players go to LIV eventually?
This is what gets interesting. I had a great job and hours with seniority etc, but eventually the amount of money I was being offered for travel nursing became too much to pass up even though I knew I'd hate the job during the contract.

There's a point where the amount of money makes you realize you can do something short term and it changes your life. My wife works part time now because I sucked it up for a few contacts and we got to 100% debt free.

With these guys there's just a few extra zeros in the number before they get to the same "life changing" realization, but in the end, only the guys already worth ridiculous amounts of money won't be tempted, and even that's iffy if sponsors don't dump their LIV players.

Intangibles only go so far. Making $50/hr while the travel nurses around you are making $150/hr probably doesn't feel much different than Rory watching a has-been make more than he does for winning or a top ten finish. Eventually, it seemed liked the "go getters" all went for it and got paid too. ;)

And that's x1000 for players a little lower in the world rankings.

He might be. You could also make the argument he is underpaid based on what he has accomplished revenue wise as commissioner.
He isn't well liked at the fan level, which I totally understand.

If you base it on franchise worth and league revenue since taking over, you can definitely make the case he is underpaid.
Those who determine his pay, the NFL franchise owners, certainly don’t think he is overcompensated. I suppose that is the most accurate evaluation of worth.

The question in my mind is how much of the growth in both revenue and franchise value can be credited to Goodall, or was he just in the right place at the right time? You are on top of this far more than I am, being in the media business, but live sporting events, particularly from the major sports, have become intensely coveted as content. In addition, with our huge money supply (let’s not get into the inflation discussion, LOL), the enormously wealthy have competed for places to park their wealth and the value of sport franchises has skyrocketed as a result.

For fun, I looked up the compensation of the CEOs for all of the Fortune 500 companies. With revenue of $18 B, the NFL is on the low end of that spectrum. Nevertheless, of the top ten highest compensated CEOs, Goodall would come in third, assuming the chart below is correct (and it may not be, because I don’t see Elon Musk on the list). Whether the chart is completely accurate or not, a perusal of other data sources makes it clear that Goodall’s compensation is multiples of what most of the Fortune 500 CEOs make. All of those companies dwarf the NFL in revenue (See the far right column, where revenue is measured in millions.).

I don’t know what credit should be given to Goodall, but it is not debatable that Goodall is grossly overcompensated, as compared to other Fortune 500 CEOS, particularly if total revenue should be the basis for determining compensation. Many of those companies have had growth that would be equal to the NFL’s growth.

I suspect that the owners love appreciation in the franchise’s value and when decision makers are happy, money tends to flow freely. CD7C1FA5-0C62-45DD-AA09-047EC890382A.png

I would add that Goodall is underpaid relative to Monahan, if you use total revenue as the basis for determining compensation.

i dont follow ncaa golf much but i did see Eugenio Chacarra at the ncaa individual. lost in 3 men playoffs. hes the 2nd rank amateur. he sign a 3 year with LIV.

May have missed it but what happens when they fill all the spots but then get another top 50 player or 2 wanting to join? Bump the bottom guys out? Wait listed? Expanded field?

May have missed it but what happens when they fill all the spots but then get another top 50 player or 2 wanting to join? Bump the bottom guys out? Wait listed? Expanded field?
I think the truth be known, they, LIV over the years grows to 70 (which is an avg of players making a PGA cut in a year) and add individual
Play along with team events. As the LIV has to consider, injury, health issues at home of family members, personal business outside of golf, a virus. I just don’t think all 50 show up at every event.

right now anything the LIV can do to be a thorn in Monahans side, well makes big press.

i think some of the lesser players have a understanding that they will not play in all of the events. some of the events they will be the alternate or something. still if u play 5 out of 8 events thats still a good payday.

Those who determine his pay, the NFL franchise owners, certainly don’t think he is overcompensated. I suppose that is the most accurate evaluation of worth.

The question in my mind is how much of the growth in both revenue and franchise value can be credited to Goodall, or was he just in the right place at the right time? You are on top of this far more than I am, being in the media business, but live sporting events, particularly from the major sports, have become intensely coveted as content. In addition, with our huge money supply (let’s not get into the inflation discussion, LOL), the enormously wealthy have competed for places to park their wealth and the value of sport franchises has skyrocketed as a result.

For fun, I looked up the compensation of the CEOs for all of the Fortune 500 companies. With revenue of $18 B, the NFL is on the low end of that spectrum. Nevertheless, of the top ten highest compensated CEOs, Goodall would come in third, assuming the chart below is correct (and it may not be, because I don’t see Elon Musk on the list). Whether the chart is completely accurate or not, a perusal of other data sources makes it clear that Goodall’s compensation is multiples of what most of the Fortune 500 CEOs make. All of those companies dwarf the NFL in revenue (See the far right column, where revenue is measured in millions.).

I don’t know what credit should be given to Goodall, but it is not debatable that Goodall is grossly overcompensated, as compared to other Fortune 500 CEOS, particularly if total revenue should be the basis for determining compensation. Many of those companies have had growth that would be equal to the NFL’s growth.

I suspect that the owners love appreciation in the franchise’s value and when decision makers are happy, money tends to flow freely. View attachment 9099550

I would add that Goodall is underpaid relative to Monahan, if you use total revenue as the basis for determining compensation.
Franchise worth is part of it and the growth under him is astronomical. Annual revenue is obviously a part, but their growth is insane under his tenure. The teams could cut that immediately and don’t which says a lot.

I suspect that the owners love appreciation in the franchise’s value and when decision makers are happy, money tends to flow freely. View attachment 9099550

Semi-off topic but I feel I’m in a good position to comment on a CEO that may or may not be on that actual list and they are criminally overpaid IMO. Part of the problem is these companies all look at compensation for C level execs and say “we want ours to make x% of comparables” so if the average is let’s say $50 mil they want theirs making $55 mil. Sounds like a solid plan until everyone else does the same thing. Next thing you know the average is now $55 mil and they want theirs making $60 mil. Round and round we go as the salaries start spiraling skyward for no other reason than math. Meanwhile, if that guy got hit by a bus next week (god forbid) would the company even notice? The question they should be asking is if this person left, what would be the impact to the business and how hard would it be to replace him/her and get comparable results? Bringing that back to golf, based on what he’s done for golf during his tenure, if Monahan was gone tomorrow, would the PGAT suffer? How hard would it be to find someone who could do for the org what he’s done? I’ll admit that I’m not in a good position to offer an informed opinion on that, but based on what’s happened in the past 6 months, it feels like the PGAT could likely do better for less.

Latest rumors based on management companies that already represent players committed to LIV is that Kokrak and Ortiz are on the way.

Latest rumors based on management companies that already represent players committed to LIV is that Kokrak and Ortiz are on the way.
Kokrak not finishing was a pretty good sign too 😂🤣

I have wondered this same thing.

i dont follow ncaa golf much but i did see Eugenio Chacarra at the ncaa individual. lost in 3 men playoffs. hes the 2nd rank amateur. he sign a 3 year with LIV.
Wait… Chacarra signed with LIV? If so that’s a pretty big get… he’s one of the top 3-4 AM players

Kokrak not finishing was a pretty good sign too 😂🤣
His playing partner said they didn’t realize the ball went over the road. He wasn’t making the cut, and the group behind them was waiting in the fairway. Kokrak picking up was a “courtesy pace of play” move, not a middle finger to the Tour.
I don’t know if I believe that, but what would the other player have to gain by lying about it?

lol Nickelodeon’s slime cup would earn more world ranking points than the first LIV event.

Serious question… who is Ortiz?

I have wondered this same thing.
Know they sign contracts so wonder if out clauses? Or they guarantee what the $$$ value of the contract states but doesn’t guarantee spots in events? It’s like college recruiting here! You have a scholarship unless we sign another 4-5 star. 😂

Know they sign contracts so wonder if out clauses? Or they guarantee what the $$$ value of the contract states but doesn’t guarantee spots in events? It’s like college recruiting here! You have a scholarship unless we sign another 4-5 star. 😂
My understanding is they are not obligated to play every event

I thought part of the attraction was not only the upfront money, but a guaranteed payday of at least $120K every time they teed it up, with the potential to get $4M plus team money if they won.

Well there is a big upcoming star.
I think we are going to see more of this. Why not play a couple of years on LIV to bank a ton of money and develop one's game at the pro level, rather than try to gain experience and status through the KFT for relative peanuts. I can't see how either the PGAT or DP Tour could ban or fine someone who was never a member for just having played on another Tour.

Well there is a big upcoming star.
What I'm most curious to see over the next few years is if LIV is capable of creating stars. If the OWGR and/or major bans don't come to fruition, then I think the strength of each tour will be judged by how their players perform in majors.

The PGA better prepare to lose most coming amateurs. The money is just too much guaranteed for a person that has never made a dime and 20 something not to take it for the time being.

If the LIV can get the coverage over the next year this is going to get interesting and probably very bad for us who want to watch the best play each other in the same events. It could really split the tour players for all events not a major.

Back