The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Wolff is gone

Imagine LIV decided they want to enter the Golf Forum world. They do some analysis and decide wow there are about 50 posters in THP that are rock stars. Let's offer them 10,000 to come to the LIV forum. They don't have any concern for sticking it to THP. They don't really care about Golf. They just think it's appropriate to have a forum chatting up golf to round out their portfolio of golf stuff.
These people have made an offer to buy the DP World tour. They have zero concern with the game of golf. They come out swinging with their thick wallet and say F U to the world as they engage to create a play toy for their Prince's. This is not about Saudi pro/con. They could be Martians. What they are doing is 💩💩💩💩

Imagine LIV decided they want to enter the Golf Forum world. They do some analysis and decide wow there are about 50 posters in THP that are rock stars. Let's offer them 10,000 to come to the LIV forum. They don't have any concern for sticking it to THP. They don't really care about Golf. They just think it's appropriate to have a forum chatting up golf to round out their portfolio of golf stuff.
These people have made an offer to buy the DP World tour. They have zero concern with the game of golf. They come out swinging with their thick wallet and say F U to the world as they engage to create a play toy for their Prince's. This is not about Saudi pro/con. They could be Martians. What they are doing is 💩💩💩💩
I highly disagree. Sure they are throwing money about, but if they didn’t care about golf or their players abilities to earn OWGR points, why bother with DP? Just continue to pump money into events and be done

I think the disruption they provide is good for the game and has shown already with the tour changing their schedule going forward and tournament $$$.

I highly disagree. Sure they are throwing money about, but if they didn’t care about golf or their players abilities to earn OWGR points, why bother with DP? Just continue to pump money into events and be done

I think the disruption they provide is good for the game and has shown already with the tour changing their schedule going forward and tournament $$$.
I highly disagree. They are pompous butts that care only for themselves. And they use the bast#$% child Norman to initiate. It all looks peachy now. But what if they decide to exit. And why have most of your events in the US? Ultimately there will be many players ascend to PGA quicker than they would have. But I don't see the PGA Tour playing nice with the defectors. We agree to disagree. I have a thing about Richy Rich coming around with $$$$ and yelling a big F U to everybody.

I highly disagree. They are pompous butts that care only for themselves. And they use the bast#$% child Norman to initiate. It all looks peachy now. But what if they decide to exit. And why have most of your events in the US? Ultimately there will be many players ascend to PGA quicker than they would have. But I don't see the PGA Tour playing nice with the defectors. We agree to disagree. I have a thing about Richy Rich coming around with $$$$ and yelling a big F U to everybody.
They put all of their events in the US because it’s the largest audience.

I don’t disagree with the money part but where’s the yell? If anything the PGA Tour are/were the ones with the ones yelling and throwing shade such as Rory’s ”one more” comment. (Which I admit made for good entertainment and frankly that’s all I care about when it comes to golf).

I have to disagree. I just don’t see it that way. They see an opportunity to take a product they feel can be improved at money made. It’s not that they don’t care or want to screw the PGA. Only time is going to tell if they are right.

They can offer me all the cash they want, I don’t post on THP for the money.

First was London
I’m aware. They chose most events in the US due to audience size. It was mentioned in an early press conference and makes sense

No different than Richard Gere in Pretty Woman or an activist shareholder. They saw the value of yanking people from the PGA Tour and went for it.

“Tradition of golf” be damned. I believe Arnie told Norman to get lost a long time ago when he tried this the first time.

I have to disagree. I just don’t see it that way. They see an opportunity to take a product they feel can be improved at money made. It’s not that they don’t care or want to screw the PGA. Only time is going to tell if they are right.
Read up on Norman. And take product and improve....No. Throw money at it. That's about it. They don't love golf. They are new to it. You see golf sits out there with opportunity to swoop in and steal. The team sports don't. And they would have to abide by the rules of a league. This situation they get to create their own rules. Spin it any way you want. I despise this whole situation. It just reeks. I've got money and I'm gonna come and steal and there's nothing you can do.

Help me understand what they are stealing? They offered more money for independent contractors to do the same job. What am I missing?

Help me understand what they are stealing? They offered more money for independent contractors to do the same job. What am I missing?

I think the PGA Tour is way overblowing this. This should be treated like a new WGC and both should work together, this whole thing right now is dumb. Split talent helps no one

No different than Richard Gere in Pretty Woman or an activist shareholder. They saw the value of yanking people from the PGA Tour and went for it.

“Tradition of golf” be damned. I believe Arnie told Norman to get lost a long time ago when he tried this the first time.
That would be ironic, since Arnie did it first.

If they are just random independent contractors, Why are they giving up their membership in PGA. A PGA Tour player is given certain rights and has obligations to play 15 events. When China set up a tour and it went belly up the PGA stepped in and helped reinvigorate it. Same thing in Latin America. They organize and run I believe 8 tours. There has always been a process to get a card...Q school. Then Korn Ferry. So LIV cherry picks and throws around their cash and has zero interest in anything they disturb.
I see both sides here. I get it. But I have always had issues with bullies. And this situation is just that. Can/Will some make more, definitely. But Golf has always had an honor about it. Policing ourselves with rules. This steps all over that for money.

LIV approached the PGAT first and offered to help a schedule their events around the tours schedule so it didn’t conflict with anything and as a show of wanting to work. The tour ignored or didn’t take them seriously, and that payed out poorly. By your own logic, if you have a problem with “Richy Rich” then you must hate the tour who “found” hundreds of millions to boost events and purses.
If they are just random independent contractors, Why are they giving up their membership in PGA. A PGA Tour player is given certain rights and has obligations to play 15 events. When China set up a tour and it went belly up the PGA stepped in and helped reinvigorate it. Same thing in Latin America. They organize and run I believe 8 tours. There has always been a process to get a card...Q school. Then Korn Ferry. So LIV cherry picks and throws around their cash and has zero interest in anything they disturb.
I see both sides here. I get it. But I have always had issues with bullies. And this situation is just that. Can/Will some make more, definitely. But Golf has always had an honor about it. Policing ourselves with rules. This steps all over that for money.

these guys gave up status as a legal maneuver and not bc they wanted to. Absent a threat form the PGAT, they would still be members. So as independent contractors they exercised their right of where to work.

I have no problem with the players taking the money. They shouldn’t complain about PGA’s response though. You are in an elite club and you either follow the rules or you leave or get kicked out. You can’t always have your cake and eat it.

Big money corporations are all around you, and have changed every part of your life.
Do you go to Home Depot instead of a local hardware store? Do you buy meat at a butcher, or bread in a bakery? No you buy it from a big grocery chain. Do you shop in a Walmart, a big department store, or do you support local shops? When you want a burger and fries, where do you go? I’m pretty sure it’s a big chain like Burger King, not a local place.

There is nothing sacrosanct about the Tour, all they do is provide a form of entertainmen. They aren’t above having to compete for an audience. if they can’t survive this, they don’t deserve to.

Explain for me. (I’m not trying to be a smart azz)
The Tour you know today was formed when Arnie and Jack led a move by touring pros to break away from the PGA, and form the “modern version” of the PGA Tour.

So lets
The Tour you know today was formed when Arnie and Jack led a move by touring pros to break away from the PGA, and form the “modern version” of the PGA Tour.

Dig some digging after I responded. Seems TV coverage took revenue through the roof. And here we sit 50 some years with additional forms of media taking revenue even higher.

The more things change the more they stay the same I reckon.

How could the PGA even justify sanctioning a non PGA player? I don’t see how that would hold up in court or the public.

“You played in a competing league so your banned from ever playing here.” That would be a huge overstep and can’t see that being the case.

Plus, what benefit would the PGA receive by not allowing a young player from moving over to the PGA later if he wanted and qualified?
I don’t think they can either but never know to what lengths PGA Tour might go to.

Back