The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

The DP is a competitor? They are partners now including a joint venture.
DP World Tour is essentially PGA Tour feeder.

Starting in 2023 the leading ten players on the end of season DP World Tour Rankings [in addition to those already exempt] will earn PGA TOUR cards for the following season.

I get the strategic alliance, the fact that PGA tour gives them some money, co-sanctions events and that the DP tour awards some guys with PGA tour cards. But yes, I still see them as a competing tour who is doing the best they can to hang onto the talent and events they have.

While not strong competition, much like the Prez Cup match I might add, they are still competing in the market that is professional golf. I was under the impression the partnership or joint ventures are only for a few events. I do not recall seeing the DP tour being classified as a subsidiary of the tour or that PGA tour is a parent company.

It is entirely possible my interpretation of the DP tours status is as loose as the partnership or joint ventures appear to be. It is neither the first or last time I may be wrong.

There's another scenario.....What if The Masters let LIV players enter their tournament and the PGAtour boycott? I'm sure the tournament would go on, but would people watch?

While the threat may be mentioned, a boycott seems as likely as being struck by lightning, or having a billion dollar lottery ticket in hand, maybe less likely.

Since players didn’t boycott Wentworth, do you really expect someone to pass up an opportunity for a Green jacket?

Petulant.

FB_IMG_1663971851971.jpg

The DP is a competitor? They are partners now including a joint venture.
Sounds a little bit like possible collusion, the timing is questionable. PGA is giving DP money and LIV players are playing on the DP Tour, no wonder their so salty.

While the threat may be mentioned, a boycott seems as likely as being struck by lightning, or having a billion dollar lottery ticket in hand, maybe less likely.

Since players didn’t boycott Wentworth, do you really expect someone to pass up an opportunity for a Green jacket?
While highly unlikely, if led by Tiger I could see it happening. Davis Love mentioned the possibility.
Total last resort though.

Maybe we can have another LIV thread solely for all the haters so they can have their very own place to distribute all their hate towards LIV. For now, the ignore button is working just fine.

My wish list in all this:
LIV players are allowed to play the Majors, with qualification criteria unchanged

LIV players are banned from DP World Tour events, and remain banned from the PGA Tour

LIV events get certified for OWGR points before their 2024 season

Those were basically my expectations for players that signed on when the league started, and haven’t moved much.

Last edited:
Maybe we can have another LIV thread solely for all the haters so they can have their very own place to distribute all their hate towards LIV. For now, the ignore button is working just fine.
Something I’ve always respected about THP, all viwepoints here are allowed as long as the discourse is respectful. I like seeing one thread with different views.

There is no need for this. We have mods and have no need for a cheerleader or dislike thread just as any other topic on thp for those that only stick to this singular thread.

My wish list in all this:
LIV players are allowed to play the Majors, with qualification criteria unchanged

LIV players are banned from DP World Tour events, and remain banned from the PGA Tour

LIV events get certified for OWGR points before their 2024 season

Those were basically my expectations for players that signed on when the league started, and haven’t moved much.
Points one and three I agree with 100% here. Let the LIV players play in majors if they qualify. Also LIV events should get OWGR points as the golfers there have been pretty good over their careers...don't punish them for taking the money, it's still golf.

As for the banned from PGA Tour and DP Tour... I'll liken it to the majors here...if the golfers want to play and they qualify, let them play wherever.

I do respect that the PGA Tour and DP Tour are their own entities and can create their own rules for allowing certain players, but again it's with the qualifications set around events they should have the same ability to qualify and play

Points one and three I agree with 100% here. Let the LIV players play in majors if they qualify. Also LIV events should get OWGR points as the golfers there have been pretty good over their careers...don't punish them for taking the money, it's still golf.

As for the banned from PGA Tour and DP Tour... I'll liken it to the majors here...if the golfers want to play and they qualify, let them play wherever.

I do respect that the PGA Tour and DP Tour are their own entities and can create their own rules for allowing certain players, but again it's with the qualifications set around events they should have the same ability to qualify and play
I can see your point, but also consider joining a rival league basis for suspension and loss of those Tour membership privileges. At least for the PGA Tour, that much was clear prior to anyone joining LIV.

I think that’s one of the clear consequences of making the decision to join LIV.

I can see your point, but also consider joining a rival league basis for suspension and loss of those Tour membership privileges. At least for the PGA Tour, that much was clear prior to anyone joining LIV.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree leaving mid season can warrant "loss of membership"

I'm saying they can qualify by Monday qualifiers if they want to play an event and if they win or get a top 10 to qualify for the following week, they get that privilege. Then if they want to play 40 weeks per year on multiple tours so be it.

Why can someone be a member of the DP World Tour and the PGA Tour at the same time? Aren't they or weren't they competing tours too?

The LIV Tour just came in as a bully flashing tons of guaranteed cash and that draw was enough to walk away from the PGA Tour for some

The LIV Tour just came in as a bully flashing tons of guaranteed cash and that draw was enough to walk away from the PGA Tour for some
I'm not sure huge sums of money would have been needed to throw at players to play LIV events had Monahan taken the call from Norman and worked out a way to incorporate those 8, huge money events into and as part of the Tour schedule. It might have just stayed as big money events instead of a competing "tour". Or, if he had worked with the PGL, the LIV might not even exist.

I'm not sure huge sums of money would have been needed to throw at players to play LIV events had Monahan taken the call from Norman and worked out a way to incorporate those 8, huge money events into and as part of the Tour schedule. It might have just stayed as big money events instead of a competing "tour". Or, if he had worked with the PGL, the LIV might not even exist.
Agreed, but the PGA Tour was "poo pooing" any other tour asking for their top players. Both LIV and the PGA Tour were being stubborn/greedy

I feel like the Saudis were set on making this investment regardless.

Not everyone is here to worship LIV Golf. Some believe that it is froth with propaganda. I personally believe that it is totally different from the Pgatour and that the market will decide if it survive. I'm not a fan of team golf but I will tolerate the Prez and Ryder Cup.

If LIV golf fans enjoy the product, then have at it but hyper over sensitivity towards the nay sayers isn't a good look. IMO

I wonder with all the strong international women golfers if they would create LLIV and entertain mixed-gender events.

I wonder with all the strong international women golfers if they would create LLIV and entertain mixed-gender events.

I think that is one of the next steps. The Aramco series in partnership with the Ladies European Tour (funded by same group as LIV) that featured both top Ladies European Tour players and top LPGA players was (in my opinion) the pilot program for LIV. I'd bet that LIV and Aramco are looking to create some mixed events.

Not everyone is here to worship LIV Golf. Some believe that it is froth with propaganda. I personally believe that it is totally different from the Pgatour and that the market will decide if it survive. I'm not a fan of team golf but I will tolerate the Prez and Ryder Cup.

If LIV golf fans enjoy the product, then have at it but hyper over sensitivity towards the nay sayers isn't a good look. IMO
Gotta give it to you, you keep beating that poor horse.

Back