The Masters in November, who benefits and who doesn't?

M_Monty23

Reaction score
Handicap
+1.0
This the only time this event has been played during this time of the year and we’re all a bit confused as to how this will all play
out and who we feel like will end up being the favorites going into the event, and who will benefit from the change in season.

Took a look at some players track records in the month of November.

Tiger Woods– (Since 2009)

2009- 1st, JBWere Masters
6th, HSBC Champions

2010- 6th, HSBC Champions
2012- 4th, World Challenge

2013- 3rd, Turkish Airlines Open

Brooks Koepka

2014- 1st, Turkish Airlines Open
42nd, DP World Tour

Dustin Johnson

2012- 39th, HSBC Champions
13th, World Challenge

Phil Mickelson

2009- 14th, Singapore Open
1st, HSBC Champions

2010- 41st, HSBC Champions
37th, Singapore Open

2011- 33rd, Singapore Open
2012- 2nd, HSBC Champions
14th, Singapore Open

What can we draw from these statistics?

1) Most top tour players don’t play much in November. Phil and Dustin haven’t played (a sanctioned stroke play event) since 2012, Tiger since 2013, and Brooks since 2014.

2) All 4 players have had mixed success in November, with Brooks, Tiger, and Phil all securing a win on the European Tour.

3) The HSBC (a WGC event) is the only same tournament 3 out of the 4 players have played. Clearly, the only thing outside of a major
that gets these guys out on the course is the prestige of a WGC event.

What other factors does the month of November have?

1) Holidays. Players with more developed family roles, (husbands, fathers) obviously have to split more time. Although Thanksgiving isn’t until the 26th and the Masters begins on the 12th, it’s still a time in the year where family time is quite important.

2) Temperature. The average temperature in Augusta in April is 77 degrees, while it’s 67 degrees in November. Will shorter players be hurt by (albeight slightly) colder expected air? Could older players struggle a bit more to loosen up?

Kind of a fun bit of work to brainstorm the factors but obviously little fruitful information I found.

I do believe, though, that players like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are at a disadvantage due to the likely colder temps.

Still got to love Brooks Koepka. The colder and wetter it plays the more his long carrying drives will be an advantage. He is also a player who is well adapted to different circumstances at an early age. He grinded out the European Tour for years with differing time zones and conditions.

Let’s just hope that, as Brandel Chamblee might say, there isn’t a photoshoot planned for him in the month of November.

Houston benefits by getting their old spot the week before The Masters back, even if only for a year.

No one really has an advantage or disadvantage IMO. They will all be ready for the Masters no matter when it is played.

I think the weather might be a factor for some golfers. Especially colder weather.

Colder weather could create issues for players with physical health issues.

If the weather is golf friendly, then the usual favorites will be at the top of the list.

They all have to play in the same conditions - but those conditions could potentially affect some more than others.

I think the weather might be a factor for some golfers. Especially colder weather.

Colder weather could create issues for players with physical health issues.

If the weather is golf friendly, then the usual favorites will be at the top of the list.

Is this a joke? The average high in November is 70 degrees lol in what world is this considered cold?

At worst they’ll have to wear a pullover

Is this a joke? The average high in November is 70 degrees lol in what world is this considered cold?

No, not joking. My wife has family in Evans, GA. We have been back there in November. I can remember some cold 50 degree days while visiting. 70 is just an average. Not a constant.

I think Tiger likely benefits as much as anyone. When the Toonamint was postponed, he hadn’t played since Torrey and it looked very much like he was going to play without any tournament golf in 6-7 weeks. Not the best position from which to defend.

Will his body permit him a better chance to play to his expectations in November? I don’t know. But, I think he has a much better chance than was playing out in March.

Weather conditions for the ast year.

CC69A067-2CA1-41D1-837E-2E483EFB0BE1.jpeg

It could be a serious factor for some, including the defending champ.

I know one thing, the course may look a lot different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We all just want to know if John Daly will be back in the Hooter's parking lot.

It will be interesting to see the course at a different time of year with different conditions.

Cold morning temps won't do any good for the guys with creaky joints, bad backs, etc.

It will definitely be interesting to see them play competitive golf that late in the season.

One thing to consider is that November has been a couple months after the end of the season in the past which means that they may have taken time off and developed a little rust. I'm sure this November there won't be any rust in their game for the Masters.

It will be fun to watch and I can't wait.

I am not sure that past history is much of a factor in this, as most PGA players are used to having a certain season for their schedules. This year that schedule is just being moved.

In terms of someone that plays only a handful of tournaments like Tiger and he tries everything to get his game ready for April and the Masters, he will need to change his playing schedule to accommodate the later November start. Tiger may skip more tournaments due to the change.

Back