The Match II: Tiger Woods & Peyton Manning vs Phil Mickelson & Tom Brady

Married to perhaps the greatest model of all time. Tough life.
It's like I used to say about Romo. I'd bag on him about sucking as a QB, but then you think - he dated Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson, was a multi-millionaire and the starting quarterback of "America's Team", one of the most famous franchises in NFL history. He wins on the big scoreboard, no matter what the little scoreboard in the stadium says. Pretty hard to call that suckage.

It wasn't really surprising considering that numerous guys have said that Tiger is a richard on the course when playing with them, and not very talkative. I thought the rest of them yukked up it pretty well and were amusing - even Brady, who I'm sure was pretty humiliated by his bad play. Barkley was great, I'd enjoy him being on more golf telecasts too.

Definitely. I thought Brady would be the most boring but he wore being terrible and tiger just didn’t speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Lord, I hated Miller on MNF. The funniest thing about it was watching and listening to the interplay between him and Dan Fouts. It was pretty obvious to me that Fouts didn't like him and was aggravated by him, I kept waiting to witness an epic meltdown on national TV in front of millions of viewers. :LOL:

I liked Howard Cosell.

Howard Cosell: That play was circumlocutious.

Don Meridith: Say what, Howard?

This was significantly better than DrivingRelief.

I liked Driving Relief because it was the first golf action we’ve had, fun to see Semi ole, and adding new guy Wolff. But this was much more entertainment with the pro and joe format, best ball plus alt, in game games and the Brady hack factor. Brady’s wild ride could not have been scripted better for entertainment. I hate the guy personally but how can you not give him respect for bouncing back after that start!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I haven’t reviewed the rest of this thread, but everyone was cool with anybody pulling the flagstick?

Literally didn't care one bit.
Should we though? I don’t think it matters, especially since they’re saying COVID isn’t easily spread on surfaces, but most of the country can’t pull the flags...

Should we though? I don’t think it matters, especially since they’re saying COVID isn’t easily spread on surfaces, but most of the country can’t pull the flags...

I think if you’re worrying about 4 people who probably have been tested are pulling and touching flagsticks, you’re overthinking it.

I think if you’re worrying about 4 people who probably have been tested are pulling and touching flagsticks, you’re overthinking it.
Agreed. And on really sunny days, I’m not too worried about it either. I know I’m not touching it but with a 1.6 billion dollar foursome, let it ride.

entertaining stuff and it was great to see a 6 handicapper look like a doofus as I can do that sometimes ;)

For what I saw I was pretty well entertained. Phil was talking some smack, but also very cool to hear him how he reads the greens and coaching TB how to play his shot.

Wish tiger engaged in it more though, and even peyton seemed to be quiet down the stretch
Interesting because it's sooo much knowledge, wonder how much coaching the QBs had up to that point? Could Phil help you putt in those situations? A lot of personal feel/touch in putting but glad it worked out for them to have the line and detail it.

Also, I haven’t reviewed the rest of this thread, but everyone was cool with anybody pulling the flagstick?
Absolutely.

The crew guys were even tossing balls back to the players on the back nine. :eek:

It was very entertaining, especially the announcers. I lasted an hour, Brady's shot was great. And Peyton has a nice game.

I'm basing my opinion on production value. The banter was better than last week, but the broadcast was terrible. most of the on course shots were terrible angles and constantly paired with awful ambient noise. It was like they left the levels up on all the mics at the same time. Hire a decent mixer! The mere fact that the camera operators never bothered to wipe their lenses made it really nasty to watch.

There was barely any golf commentary, and personally, I think Trevor Immelman is the worst thing to happen to sports broadcasting since Dennis Miller on MNF. Charles Barkley, the other guy, and Ernie Johnson calling golf is like asking Joe Buck to do it while he's in a coma. IThe show would go on for minutes at a time with no words being spoken from either players or the guys in the booth. Instead we get to hear rain drops and grunting.

JT was the only guy who breathed any life into this thing, and he didn't get to say much.

It was like Turner put zero thought into how they were going to produce this. They just sent some guys out with cameras and mics and told them to hit broadcast. Pretty obvious that this was all about ad sales for Turner (I get how TV works, but this was very poorly executed.)
I'll disagree here. While I agree the camera lenses could have used a wipe or 2 I really enjoy the lack of talking. 99% of what the commentators say is just fluff and nonsense to fill a gap and I'd much rather just watch the players do their thing - even without words.

I'll disagree here. While I agree the camera lenses could have used a wipe or 2 I really enjoy the lack of talking. 99% of what the commentators say is just fluff and nonsense to fill a gap and I'd much rather just watch the players do their thing - even without words.
I'm specifically talking about golf talk. I think once, in the entire 5 plus hours I heard Immelman comment (as tiger addressed a ball) on what sort of shot he needed to hit to get the ball close to the pin. This is the kind of commentary we've come to know and rely on in golf. The kind that shows what these elite athletes are doing, rather than watching them perform in ways we can't comprehend with no insight as to how.

Tom Brady really took one for team "I'm a 8 handicap but suck in tournaments". Tom, we salute you.

Good to watch it. I wish Phil got hit faster than he did. Tiger was on from shot one! Peyton can play, and the 🐐 looked more in my league rather than those guys.
but it was cool to hear Phil

Good to watch it. I wish Phil got hit faster than he did. Tiger was on from shot one! Peyton can play, and the 🐐 looked more in my league rather than those guys.
but it was cool to hear Phil
Yeah I’m not sure Tiger missed a shot all day.

It was golf on tv that wasn't recorded last year and I got to see it.(y)

Peyton is the best. He was working Brady before The Match even started.

Brady thinking Nick @&$@ing Foles. 😆

Peyton is the best. He was working Brady before The Match even started.

Brady thinking Nick @&$@ing Foles. 😆

It sure worked to for the first 7 holes! Brady was horrible for those holes.

Back